Peter Chiarelli Appreciation Thread

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Yeah this is honesty as good as it gets

1) Amazing cap hit
2) Veteran leadership (especially for Pulju!!)
3) Versatile. Can play 3C if needed to stack the top lines, or play wing on a balanced 3rd line.

yea exactly..

Better at faceoffs- check
Can play Lw or Rw in the top 9- check
Can Pk- check
Can be on 2nd pp- check
Defensively sound- check
Can produce 50+ points- check (although no saying its assumed, his history would suggest it is easily possbile)
Probably the best finnish vet in the league to mentor Pulj- check

Anything I'm missing? :yo:

Also one thing that is very underrated about Chia's moves of russell and Jokinen this year, is that they can play both sides. Its true that the Oilers can't bank on certain players improving by leaving holes in the lineup, but it's also not smart to fill all the holes in the lineup to not allow growth. So what chia has done is kept or obtained players that can fill whatever hole is needed to be filled, while allowing players to grow into bigger roles without the assumption of who will be that player.

Last edited:

Shredator

Oct 6, 2009
Edmonton
yea exactly..

Better at faceoffs- check
Can play Lw or Rw in the top 9- check
Can Pk- check
Can be on 2nd pp- check
Defensively sound- check
Can produce 50+ points- check (although no saying its assumed, his history would suggest it is easily possbile)
Probably the best finnish vet in the league to mentor Pulj- check

Anything I'm missing? :yo:

Absolute gem in the shootout

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
JJ + Strome = maybe 60 points between the two of them, for about 2 mil a year (combined)

Eberle + Pouliot = about 80 points between the two of them, for about 10 mil a year (combined)

You have to wonder if those 20 extra points are worth an extra 8 million a year. You wouldn't pay a guy that put up 20 points a year 8 million.... so, seems like good value to me. Nicely done Chia.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
You should read CalgaryPuck about the Jokinen signing:

"That's a pretty meh line up. They aren't anything good up front"

"Quick! Someone make a ChiaPet meme with it saying "There's 2 Jokinen's?""

"Jokinen has fell off the face of the earth. He is the new whipping boy in Edmonton"

"Olli is better than Jussi. Wonder if Edmonton knew that?"

:laugh:

Just wow...

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
JJ + Strome = maybe 60 points between the two of them, for about 2 mil a year (combined)

Eberle + Pouliot = about 80 points between the two of them, for about 10 mil a year (combined)

You have to wonder if those 20 extra points are worth an extra 8 million a year. You wouldn't pay a guy that put up 20 points a year 8 million.... so, seems like good value to me. Nicely done Chia.

For one Strome is 2.5 Mil cap hit so 3.6 combined. Point still stands though

Secondly, your assuming Strome won't progress at all from 30 points to where he was at as a sophomore (50 points) and that Jokinen will have another career worst (50+ point average 3 years before last year).

We could see them put up 80 points easily and match the Eberle/Pou output with 6.4 mil in cap space to spare

McHilman

Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton
FSKuOgb.gif

clap_zps75cb0a49.gif

WaqzHfy.gif

OZhSm2l.gif

Courtesy of Del Preston

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
You have to wonder if those 20 extra points are worth an extra 8 million a year..

There's no question which pair of players is better value. I would rather have Jokinen and Strome than Eberle and Pouliot even if cap hit wasn't a factor. Not to mention Eberle and Pouliot combined for 65 points last year, Jokinen and Strome got 58 with less games played between them. Pouliot and Eberle were absolutely no shows in the most important Oiler games of the last decade, and are both known for a soft and frustrating brand of hockey.

In my opinion we got better fits for our lineup and ditched a significant amount of cap space. Great work Chiarelli, arguably one of the least deserving targets of hate on these boards.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
You should read CalgaryPuck about the Jokinen signing:

"That's a pretty meh line up. They aren't anything good up front"

"Quick! Someone make a ChiaPet meme with it saying "There's 2 Jokinen's?""

"Jokinen has fell off the face of the earth. He is the new whipping boy in Edmonton"

"Olli is better than Jussi. Wonder if Edmonton knew that?"

:laugh:

Just wow...

Olli who had 9 points in his last NHL season, 3 seasons ago!? :laugh:

They aren't anything good up front? They couldn't trade their whole roster for McDavid. :laugh:

Within 2 years, we could have 4 forwards in McDavid, Drai, Pulju and Yamamoto that are better than their top guy.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Lol don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of this signing. Shrewd signing (someone who checks all boxes), while being on the cheap.

But it's extremely funny how this board has turned 180 degrees after 1 single signing. Reading this board as early as yesterday pre-speedyturtle sighting, you would think we needed half a team in order to be successful, and Chia has no idea what he's doing. Fast-forward to today, and the positivity in HFOil is at its highest since we beat the Sharks in Round 1.

Way too much doom and gloom and not even close to enough patience. We're obviously far too used to our GMs doing dick all, and having them not understanding the needs of the team. People were saying that Chia was done and happy with the team prior to July 1st!

I'm honestly hoping that this shows some people around here that Chia knows what he's doing and if you just give him a chance, he might just get us a cup in this era.

Certainly shut up the "fire chia" and "chia turd" posters right quick, hasn't he?

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Chiaturd uprising thwarted. The resistance has now been scattered to various parents basements across the globe but make no mistake, they will reorganize and be back after the first 3 game losing streak of the season.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Hey..I'm a Chia fan for the most part. Moves like Jokinen make him look great, rightfully so

It's when he sells assets for a fraction of the cost and leaves food on the table is what bothers.

Jokinen..great deal.. Let's see how many are clapping when he sells Nuge at a fraction of the cost. Or signs Maroon to loyalty contract that handcuffs us

Sorry to say..but the guy didn't take a sabbatical after Boston to go back to school and reinvent himself

As for today...great pick up

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Olli who had 9 points in his last NHL season, 3 seasons ago!? :laugh:

They aren't anything good up front? They couldn't trade their whole roster for McDavid. :laugh:

Within 2 years, we could have 4 forwards in McDavid, Drai, Pulju and Yamamoto that are better than their top guy.
Calgary should be worried very worried a lot of teams in the west have improved and Dallas and Wpg can easily push them out of a play off spot . And Smith won't help them see how fast Hextall Conn Smythe winner goalie snapped up Elliot because he is better. with rosters as they are now I have Calgary from 9th to 11th in west.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Hey..I'm a Chia fan for the most part. Moves like Jokinen make him look great, rightfully so

It's when he sells assets for a fraction of the cost and leaves food on the table is what bothers.

Jokinen..great deal.. Let's see how many are clapping when he sells Nuge at a fraction of the cost. Or signs Maroon to loyalty contract that handcuffs us

Sorry to say..but the guy didn't take a sabbatical after Boston to go back to school and reinvent himself

Chia Stanley cup Champion gm who took only 2 years to take this bottom dweller to over 100 points and be nominated GM of the year . I have more trust in him then a HF board armchair GM no offense

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
Calgary should be worried very worried a lot of teams in the west have improved and Dallas and Wpg can easily push them out of a play off spot . And Smith won't help them see how fast Hextall Conn Smythe winner goalie snapped up Elliot because he is better. with rosters as they are now I have Calgary from 9th to 11th in west.

I dont know about that, Calgary has improved quite a bit with that defense. I think stone was a bad re-signing but its not terrible. they need some forwards

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

What food did he leave on the table? Eberle- the pile of melting butter? Getting 3.5 million in cap relief means you're not getting an equal player back, but at least Strome still has the potential to be just as good and is probably a better fit for this team.

What about the pile of grade A beef he acquired for food he picked out of a back alley dumpster? Maroon, Kassian, and Lucic brought in for Scrivens, Gernat, and a 4th. That's legendary considering how badly the Oilers needed that functional toughness.

The only bad move was the Reinhart deal IMO, and I give him a pass for that as he was probably influenced by the old regime.

Beef for butter and you're telling a Stanley Cup winning, Harvard educated GM to take a sabbatical and go back to school? Child please!!

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
If you're going to criticize for the bad, you got to praise for the good.

The Jokinen signing has zero risk and addresses several key needs.

It's a nobody twitter account, just show's how the cap math is going to play out (or at least what Chia is planning).

Don't count your chickens before they sign for 1.5M less than the last number we heard about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad