Peter Chiarelli Appreciation Thread

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Hey..I'm a Chia fan for the most part. Moves like Jokinen make him look great, rightfully so

It's when he sells assets for a fraction of the cost and leaves food on the table is what bothers.

Jokinen..great deal.. Let's see how many are clapping when he sells Nuge at a fraction of the cost. Or signs Maroon to loyalty contract that handcuffs us

Sorry to say..but the guy didn't take a sabbatical after Boston to go back to school and reinvent himself

As for today...great pick up

Sure let's bring up all of the bad things you foresee happening in the future. But how about some hypothetical positive things that he'll do in the future? Hmm let's see, that Talbot re-signing @ 4M for 5 years sure looks nice. And BOTH Larsson and Klefbom resigning identical deals to what they have now??? Crazy!!

Ya we can both play the hypothetical game.

The moves Chia has made to change this team into a contender in such a short amount of time is very - very - impressive.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Hey..I'm a Chia fan for the most part. Moves like Jokinen make him look great, rightfully so

It's when he sells assets for a fraction of the cost and leaves food on the table is what bothers.

how do you really know he has?

unless you are involved intimately with those phone conversations, you have no idea if that's the case.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I dont know about that, Calgary has improved quite a bit with that defense. I think stone was a bad re-signing but its not terrible. they need some forwards
So tired of hearing about Calgary's defence Gio,Hamilton,Brodie all suck at it Hamonic has had 3 knee injuries and has slowed he was walked many times last season and was a give away machine 2nd highest per game on the team. I have stated before I will believe Calgary has a good defence when I see it because year after year it's the same story with opposite results,just like every year till McDavid we thought our top 6 was cats ass only to struggle to score 200 goals in a season.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Sure let's bring up all of the bad things you foresee happening in the future. But how about some hypothetical positive things that he'll do in the future? Hmm let's see, that Talbot re-signing @ 4M for 5 years sure looks nice. And BOTH Larsson and Klefbom resigning identical deals to what they have now??? Crazy!!

Ya we can both play the hypothetical game.

The moves Chia has made to change this team into a contender in such a short amount of time is very - very - impressive.

For the interest of accuracy: MacTavish was negotiating Klefbom's extension and they were already on the Brodin/Larsson comparables before Chiarelli ever got here.

Chiarelli didn't sign Larsson to that contract, he merely traded another seriously underpaid player to get him.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
how do you really know he has?

unless you are involved intimately with those phone conversations, you have no idea if that's the case.

Yeah. It's not like Snow offered Strome and a pick for Eberle and Chia said- no, you keep the pick I'm good. Same goes for the Hall deal. Our players didn't have the market value some here thought. They were extremely damaged goods after the **** show years.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Jokinen..great deal.. Let's see how many are clapping when he sells Nuge at a fraction of the cost. Or signs Maroon to loyalty contract that handcuffs us

Sorry to say..but the guy didn't take a sabbatical after Boston to go back to school and reinvent himself

As for today...great pick up

That was a major minus for him in Boston, as well as drafting basically 0 NHL players during a 8- 9 year window(leaving out top10 pick Seguin/Hamilton).
I hope he has learned from those mistakes.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
What food did he leave on the table? Eberle- the pile of melting butter? Getting 3.5 million in cap relief means you're not getting an equal player back, but at least Strome still has the potential to be just as good and is probably a better fit for this team.

What about the pile of grade A beef he acquired for food he picked out of a back alley dumpster? Maroon, Kassian, and Lucic brought in for Scrivens, Gernat, and a 4th. That's legendary considering how badly the Oilers needed that functional toughness.

The only bad move was the Reinhart deal IMO, and I give him a pass for that as he was probably influenced by the old regime.

Beef for butter and you're telling a Stanley Cup winning, Harvard educated GM to take a sabbatical and go back to school? Child please!!

He didn't take a sabbatical is what I said. As in, for whatever reason the kool-aid being sold is that Chia will not repeat any of his mistakes in Boston...yet I could care what planet you are from..Hall had more trade value at the time of the trade than Larsson. It's why the consensus from anybody who is anybody in the hockey world and not the Edm world agreed

It's why Shero said he didn't want to trade Larsson, but when a player like Hall is involved you do it!

We needed a 2nd, he could have structured a deal to get one also. (Hall and a 4th for Lars/2nd) We see those deals all the time. That's my opinion, based on his past history as a GM, he sells value low and then finds it elsewhere

He then rewards those not sexy but valued guys with loyalty contracts..ie Russel

Also with Ebs, he could have dictated what the return should be via media..then played tug o war till somebody caved or came close But he didn't, he let the value sit that he was looking to dump Ebs for a reclamation project and cap asap. How about saying Ebs is worth a 4/5th dman like Russel in return?

I have no doubt Chia can win a cup, but I am worried about him winning 4

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
He didn't take a sabbatical is what I said. As in, for whatever reason the kool-aid being sold is that Chia will not repeat any of his mistakes in Boston...yet I could care what planet you are from..Hall had more trade value at the time of the trade than Larsson. It's why the consensus from anybody who is anybody in the hockey world and not the Edm world agreed

It's why Shero said he didn't want to trade Larsson, but when a player like Hall is involved you do it!

We needed a 2nd, he could have structured a deal to get one also. (Hall and a 4th for Lars/2nd) We see those deals all the time. That's my opinion, based on his past history as a GM, he sells value low and then finds it elsewhere

He then rewards those not sexy but valued guys with loyalty contracts..ie Russel

Also with Ebs, he could have dictated what the return should be via media..then played tug o war till somebody caved or came close But he didn't, he let the value sit that he was looking to dump Ebs for a reclamation project and cap asap. How about saying Ebs is worth a 4/5th dman like Russel in return?

I have no doubt Chia can win a cup, but I am worried about him winning 4

What? Everyone thought Eberle would be here in October with the smoke Chia and McLellan blew up his ass in the end of season pressers. The market dictates trade return, not the media. Improving the team is all that matters and he's done that.

So tired of hearing about Calgary's defence Gio,Hamilton,Brodie all suck at it Hamonic has had 3 knee injuries and has slowed he was walked many times last season and was a give away machine 2nd highest per game on the team. I have stated before I will believe Calgary has a good defence when I see it because year after year it's the same story with opposite results,just like every year till McDavid we thought our top 6 was cats ass only to struggle to score 200 goals in a season.

This is a little over the top, don't you think?

Giordano and Hamilton have the best CF% of any pairing in the league IIRC. THat's damn impressive.

Calgary's D is going to be what carries that team into the playoffs. I'm not convinced that Monahan is a 1C or that Mike Smith is a #1 goalie.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
What? Everyone thought Eberle would be here in October with the smoke Chia and McLellan blew up his ass in the end of season pressers. The market dictates trade return, not the media. Improving the team is all that matters and he's done that.

media dictates term also. Look at Drouin. That was quite a return after his trade demands

Hamonic. People call Snow an idiot for the "rumored" Duchene turndown. Maybe he did. But my $ is on Hamonic asking to be traded to a western team, then gets traded to one and calls Snow the most loyal person he has dealt with. That trade request was always there imo and Hamonic was rewarded for playing out another year when he could have not and been traded for pennies

As far as market dictating value. Yes, it also does. We just saw a crazy FA market handing out stupid term and salaries

What's Ebs value now to the teams who lost out? Would Strome still not be there as a back up plan?

Look at all the teams who get burned in FA also

I find it rather coincidental that Ebs and his "immovable" contract for a 60 point player ended up on the one of the teams who everybody knows is desperate to put talent around JT. You don't think Snow values Ebs?

Fla, Mtl, Van, all desperate for scoring now.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
see how fast Hextall Conn Smythe winner goalie snapped up Elliot because he is better. .
Sorry, this comment is screaming for an explanation. It's nice that Hextall won a Conn Smyth 30 years ago but it has little to do with his ability to judge goalies. Philly has been the biggest goalie graveyard for decades now, probably since Hextall left, Brian Elliot is a desperation move.. I mean Calgary wasnt even interested in bringing him back, thats how bad he was (minus a stretch) last season. Was there a bigger dud in the post season then Elliot last year? The answer is no.

They let Steve Mason go and signed Brian Elliot.. oh yeah.. Hextall is a savant. :laugh:

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
This is a little over the top, don't you think?

Giordano and Hamilton have the best CF% of any pairing in the league IIRC. THat's damn impressive.

Calgary's D is going to be what carries that team into the playoffs. I'm not convinced that Monahan is a 1C or that Mike Smith is a #1 goalie.
How about these stats that trump your precious CF% 2015/16 Calgary dead last in Goals against Last season 14th only thing over the top is people thinking it's a great defence. And reason why the moved up to 14th is Elliot is a legit goalie who struggles in playoffs this year they will drop in GAA again because Smith is pretty much Hiller

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Sorry, this comment is screaming for an explanation. It's nice that Hextall won a Conn Smyth 30 years ago but it has little to do with his ability to judge goalies. Philly has been the biggest goalie graveyard for decades now, probably since Hextall left, Brian Elliot is a desperation move.. I mean Calgary wasnt even interested in bringing him back, thats how bad he was (minus a stretch) last season. Was there a bigger dud in the post season then Elliot last year? The answer is no.

They let Steve Mason go and signed Brian Elliot.. oh yeah.. Hextall is a savant. :laugh:

Might want to look at Hextall's trade history. Quite impressive. and with the mess he was left

Elliot is a stop gap...not a desperation move. Flyers have more assets than they know what to do with if they really wanted buy a #1. They clearly want to develop

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Hamonic
x x - Stone

It's hard to argue that's not easily a top five blueline in the NHL. Kulak is a young blueliner who should slot into that 6th spot. Hamiton really came into his own last year and has the ability to take over games. He's scary good at times. The depth is impressive as guys like Brodie, Hamonic, and Stone would all be playing up in the roster on many other teams.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015

:help: Elliots career numbers are better than Masons , and Goalies know goalies why goalie coaches are former goalies . :shakehead

Elliot career gp 357 sp .913 gaa 2.42 so 36
Mason gp 463 sp .911 gaa 2.68 so 33

Next ? ......

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Elliot played five seasons(majority of his career) under Ken Hitchcock, his numbers soured when going from that to Calgary. And we've all saw his playoff collapse last year. His numbers recovered during Calgary's 10+ game winning streak but that obviously wasn't a sustainable run for anyone.

Steve Mason wants to be a number one guy, Elliot is okay being a 1a. It's the reason Mason left Philly (and got more) and the reason Calgary dumped him and went with Smith. Treliving has hinted recently he wanted a guy who wants to be the guy, not someone comfortable being 2nd fiddle. A scathing inditement of Elliot IMO. No fire in the belly.

As for your assessment of Hextall.. well okay, you win lol Can't argue with that "logic". Because the guy was a goalie that means 100% he won't make a mistake when it comes to getting one. Such sillyness.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Elliot played five seasons(majority of his career) under Ken Hitchcock, his numbers soured when going from that to Calgary. And we've all saw his playoff collapse last year. His numbers recovered during Calgary's 10+ game winning streak but that obviously wasn't a sustainable run for anyone.

Steve Mason wants to be a number one guy, Elliot is okay being a 1a. It's the reason Mason left Philly (and got more) and the reason Calgary dumped him and went with Smith. Treliving has hinted recently he wanted a guy who wants to be the guy, not someone comfortable being 2nd fiddle. A scathing inditement of Elliot IMO. No fire in the belly.

As for your assessment of Hextall.. well okay, you win lol Can't argue with that "logic". Because the guy was a goalie that means 100% he won't make a mistake when it comes to getting one. Such sillyness.
But but Calgary's defence thanks for proving my point talk about sillyness:laugh:

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Calgary defence first game of 2016-2017 vs the Oilers
Giordano - Wideman
Brodie - Engellend
Niklas Grossman - Dougie Hamilton

Projected line up 2017-2018 opening night
Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Hamonic
Kulak - Stone

You tell me the difference. You have to be ignorant or one of the biggest homers to not see the difference. We're way off topic here but don't be so simple.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Got to love the Flames fan coming into an Oilers GM appreciation thread pumping the tires of his own team :laugh:

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Giordano - Wideman
Brodie - Engellend

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Hamonic
Kulak - Stone

You tell me the difference. You have to be ignorant or one of the biggest homers to not see the difference. We're way off topic here but don't be so simple.
You just want it both ways Elliot was good because Hitchcock was standing beside him in net inflating his numbers . Elliot in Calgary under a power defence is just a bad goalie . 2015./16 Flame fans after Getting Hamilton we have the best Defence in the league even better than Chicago . Finish dead last in the NHL in Goals against Blame goalie 2016/17 Flame fans Oilers defence is a joke ours will rock this year with a legit goaltender. Well they had that right Legit goaltender saved enough rubber to put them in playoffs. Oilers finish top 10 in Ga Calgary middle of the pack lol. Has nothing to do with being a homer what looks good on paper does not equate to what happens on the ice. For the last time I will believe it when I see it.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Giordano - Wideman
Brodie - Engellend

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Hamonic
Kulak - Stone

Your aware Hamonic was a complete mess last year right?

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003

You missed Gio who is getting faster and better with age and could possibly become a whole new defensive player category in the NHL above #1.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Giordano - Wideman
Brodie - Engellend

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Hamonic
Kulak - Stone

I would start a thread on the mains if I were you. I would title it "Do Calgary have the best Defense in the NHL", oh wait someone did that a couple of seasons ago, forget that idea.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Got to love the Flames fan coming into an Oilers GM appreciation thread pumping the tires of his own team :laugh:
Not a Flames fan
I wasn't the one that posted solely about the Flames defence first. But I admitted it was off topic and I'm moving on.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Not a Flames fan
I wasn't the one that posted solely about the Flames defence first. But I admitted it was off topic and I'm moving on.

:laugh: Good one. Seriously do like you said and move on. Go defend the Flames defense and "Tree" somewhere else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad