Peter Chiarelli Appreciation Thread

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
The example you quoted is incorrect, Stamkos signed for 8.5 for 8 years. HOWEVER, if McDavid signs for between 13-14 million dollars that's 1.5 times the amount stamkos is making. Stamkos signed his contract LAST SUMMER.

When Stamkos signed that contract the Lightning had been to the SCF two years before and game 7 of the ECF the year before he signed. Stamkos lead the team in goals 6 times of the 8 years he had played, was a 3 time all-star, and had two 50 goal seasons before signing.

That's quite a resume to have going into negotiations, while being 26 and about to go into your prime. This was last year.

In 2014, Kane and Toews both signed for 10.5 AAV. Together, they had won the Stanley Cup twice and made the WCF twice before signing. Toews, 440 points in 484 games, was a 2 time finalist for the Selke trophy, while winning once, and won the Conn-Smythe trophy in 2010. Kane had six seasons over 65 points (493 points in 515 games) won the Calder Trophy, and Conn-Smythe in 2013. Kane had 91 points in 93 playoff games at the time of his signing, while Toews had 81 in 94 games. McDavid will be making 1.28 times what they both make.

This is only a 3 player example, however it is enough to make me think that this contract isn't because of inflation. We are massively overpaying for McDavid. He is worth it. 100 point season and arguably single handily brought the Oilers back to the playoffs. He will be the best player in the sport during this contract. One could argue he already is.

However, if this contract is because of inflation, this league will not be able to sustain itself.

The double comment was in reference to the players he cited like Seguin/Hall who make 6... Didn't think I needed to clarify that.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Chia lost both Davidson and Reinhart in a stupid trade for Desharnais who did not much. He's not that great a trader. Reinhard lost and Barzal and a pick lost all for nothing.

The Davidson trade was fine. Davidson was playing like crap when he did play, and was a healthy scratch most of the time. Desharnais as a C in our playoff run was better than having Cagguila or one of our other guys in that role.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Chia, you got McDavid signed to an 8 year deal, you magnificent b*****d. That alone is worthy of appreciation.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
The Davidson trade was fine. Davidson was playing like crap when he did play, and was a healthy scratch most of the time. Desharnais as a C in our playoff run was better than having Cagguila or one of our other guys in that role.

Exactly. Desharnais scored an OT goal in the playoffs. Davidson might have played the one game Reinhart played.

Chia, you got McDavid signed to an 8 year deal, you magnificent b*****d. That alone is worthy of appreciation.

Yup. :handclap:

kurtcobang

Feb 18, 2007
Nothing but love for the guy❤️❤️❤️
He should have said "Connor could have asked for the max and gotten it from us" during his presser
In Chia I trust!

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Another huge move by Chia. Haters going to keep ignoring the "obvious" moves and focusing on bashing fairly unimportant roles like backup goaltenders and #7 defencemen.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Not a big Chia fan at the moment, but he does deserve credit for steering the conversation from 5 years to 8.

I'll give McDavid more credit on the number coming down, since he seems to be the one who made that happen.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Comparing the Stamkos contract to McDavid seems strange to me. Stamkos has missed more games than McDavid has played.

Stamkos comes with the very hih risk of him not playing 82 games a season

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Comparing the Stamkos contract to McDavid seems strange to me. Stamkos has missed more games than McDavid has played.

Stamkos comes with the very hih risk of him not playing 82 games a season

The only time Stamkos could be argued as a McDavid level talent was 6 years ago.

The other factor: Taxes. Stamkos saves about 1M dollars yearly by playing in Florida relative to Alberta.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
The only time Stamkos could be argued as a McDavid level talent was 6 years ago.

The other factor: Taxes. Stamkos saves about 1M dollars yearly by playing in Florida relative to Alberta.

I'm very sick of this taxes narrative. Teams want to attract free agents? Win. They won't think of the taxes very much if a team has a good shot at a Stanley Cup.

True narrative born out of Montreal.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I'm very sick of this taxes narrative. Teams want to attract free agents? Win. They won't think of the taxes very much if a team has a good shot at a Stanley Cup.

Eh.... this is an overly simplistic way to look at this.

These are their lives and careers. I'm sure they all want to win the Cup, but leaving your home and millions of dollars on the table to have a slightly better chance at it? It's not so cut and dry.

Stamkos signed for what he did and not more because he keeps a bigger percentage of it where he is. If Toronto we're to sign him, they'd need to give him 10 just to find some level of parity.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Eh.... this is an overly simplistic way to look at this.

These are their lives and careers. I'm sure they all want to win the Cup, but leaving your home and millions of dollars on the table to have a slightly better chance at it? It's not so cut and dry.

Stamkos signed for what he did and not more because he keeps a bigger percentage of it where he is. If Toronto we're to sign him, they'd need to give him 10 just to find some level of parity.

You're not wrong at all. I just don't think it is as big of a thought process for the players as we all suddenly believe now that we see it mentioned this offseason. I remember seeing it come up when Montreal was dealing with Kovalev, Huet and Souray as well.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Just curious who would you say since summer 2006 when he was hired so from the 06/07 season onward has had a higher level of success than him distinctly?

Lombardi I'd say, Bowman I guess but he legitimately inherited a team that literally just won.

Who else?

I can't believe the HF narrative on this guy. Since becoming a GM he's been one of the most successful in the league.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Nice job by Chia to get a very reasonable contract in place, and crickets from the haters. Love it.

Keep in mind though, that McDavid will still only be around 29 when this expires, so he can easily fill his boots on the next contract.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think that he was able to get him at 8 years is worthy of some recognition.

If only the Flames wouldn't have signed Sharp so that Chia could have landed him yet...

Also, good thing that Chia managed to make a winning season with McDavid relatively quickly. That was not a sure thing, and if not for moves like the Larsson trade and his UFA signings, I don't think it would have happened. You could say that if the team were bad, McD and Drai's stats would be worse and they'd be easier to sign, but I think the reverse would happen and they would not be in the mood to leave a little cash on the table. That's how Chia made these McD negotiations easier on himself

Bangers

May 31, 2006
I don't think getting McDavid to an 8 year deal was a sure thing; in fact, I'm guessing that if the previous regime were still in charge, Connor likely holds firm on 5 years.

Whether McDavid or Chia is responsible for the AAV coming in lower than expected is immaterial; it sounds from the presser that Chia did a great job of getting McDavid and his agent involved in the process and selling them on the direction of the club. That is no small feat.

Kudos to both of them. I just woke up here with a huge smile on my face.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

Likely less than that.

All these players have corporations that get paid. Means income is paid to company first and anything that could possibly be business related is bought tax free; training, trainers, likely food and supplements, agents, legal teams, etc.

But yes, still a factor.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Negotiate and hopefully get his asking price down, because the numbers being thrown around here and by insiders are alarming.

You know, his job.

Looks like he did his "job" pretty good yesterday, getting the biggest contract of all under what the media were saying, and stopping your alarm bells.:laugh:

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
He's made some bad and great trades, but granted, he's been awesome for us. Having him is literally a fresh of breath air compared to the likes of Tambo and MacT.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
He's made some bad and great trades, but granted, he's been awesome for us. Having him is literally a fresh of breath air compared to the likes of Tambo and MacT.

I agree. He's a HUGE upgrade on the previous crap we had. He actually seems to have a plan, and does a good job of plugging holes that need to be plugged -- the same can't be said for his predecessors. God even knows what was going through Tambo's mind. The guy almost seemed to be learning impaired or something (no offense to anyone with a real condition). Was certainly not the brightest bulb, in any event. Glad he's gonzo. And hiring MacT: I honestly thought that was just some joke when I first heard it. Then when I realized it was really happening, I was just beside myself; everything in those moments felt surreal, like it just CAN'T be real, yet it is. Anyway, thank god their reign of terror is over.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I agree. He's a HUGE upgrade on the previous crap we had. He actually seems to have a plan, and does a good job of plugging holes that need to be plugged -- the same can't be said for his predecessors. God even knows what was going through Tambo's mind. The guy almost seemed to be learning impaired or something (no offense to anyone with a real condition). Was certainly not the brightest bulb, in any event. Glad he's gonzo. And hiring MacT: I honestly thought that was just some joke when I first heard it. Then when I realized it was really happening, I was just beside myself; everything in those moments felt surreal, like it just CAN'T be real, yet it is. Anyway, thank god their reign of terror is over.

Tambo just sat there doing barely anything other than accumulating high draft picks as he smirked from the draft lotteries. The hiring of MacT made me more numb. It was just another typical old boys club move. The GM hire presser with him was such an embarrassment to watch with Lowe's arrogant 6 rings, know how to win, or half the GM's of the league would trade their rosters for ours. Meanwhile, MacT embarrassed himself on a daily basis with crap like I'll like to make a bold move, Nikitin's a top four d man, or Schultz has norris potential. Combine those two with the horrific scouting that generated much to nothing in the later rounds, the coaching carousel involving Quinn, Renney, Krueger, Eakins, and Nelson.

Chiarelli is like rain in the desert compared to them as GM's.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Tambo just sat there doing barely anything other than accumulating high draft picks as he smirked from the draft lotteries. The hiring of MacT made me more numb. It was just another typical old boys club move. The GM hire presser with him was such an embarrassment to watch with Lowe's arrogant 6 rings, know how to win, or half the GM's of the league would trade their rosters for ours. Meanwhile, MacT embarrassed himself on a daily basis with crap like I'll like to make a bold move, Nikitin's a top four d man, or Schultz has norris potential. Combine those two with the horrific scouting that generated much to nothing in the later rounds, the coaching carousel involving Quinn, Renney, Krueger, Eakins, and Nelson.

Chiarelli is like rain in the desert compared to them as GM's.

Let's never forget the terrible Petry trade. Trading a legit 2nd pairing Dman, who is now Montreal's 2nd best Dman, who played over 22 minutes a game last season, and did it very well, for a damn 2nd round pick. He should've been doing what he could to extend him, not looking to trade him for picks. God MacT was so awful. I guess that was MacT and Lowe showing us 'how to win.' Was so damn embarrassing for this organization. :facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad