Peter Chiarelli Appreciation Thread

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Treliving has fed Chia his lunch this offseason. He's built a much better team without lucking into a generational player. Im going to be sick if we end up getting dominated by the Flames next season the way we dominated them last year.

Built a much better team based on what? The Oilers ran their show last year, and outperformed them in the playoffs. Our best players are even younger than theirs are, and our top pairing is as well. Oh, and our goalie is arguably top 5 in the league right now, and they're relying on a 35 year old Mike Smith. And they don't have any picks next season.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Paid a ton for Reinhart while ending up getting a helluva deal for Talbot.
Probably paid Lucic too many years but Hall trade was awesome.
Resigned Russel for too many years but got rid of Eberle's contract.
Got Maroon for a steal but we got NOTHING for Davidson.

He's clearly done more good than harm and there's a lot to be said for that considering the damage our past 2 GMs did, but if he goes over 20M cap space to sign Drai and McDavid I'm gonna lay an egg.

Whether we sign them to 5 year bridge deals now or not they're still gonna get a ******** of money on their net contracts so I don't see why we can't get drai for under 8 and McDavid for under 10 for the time being.

That Reinhart deal really irks me the most. Here's the equation..ffs..Leaving Reinhart exposed and trading Davidson is beyond dumb.

16th and 33rd pick= Reinhart - Davidson + Deharnais-Derharnais- Reinhart = Zero

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
That Reinhart deal really irks me the most. Here's the equation..ffs..Leaving Reinhart exposed and trading Davidson is beyond dumb.

Deahairnes scored that OT goal and Davidson is a #7 I trade my #7 for an OT playoff goal 10 times out of 10.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Treliving has fed Chia his lunch this offseason. He's built a much better team without lucking into a generational player. Im going to be sick if we end up getting dominated by the Flames next season the way we dominated them last year.

Let's see some results. Calgary doesn't scare me at all. Overrated top 4 D and still have a bad goalie. We're going to destroy them this year.

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
This is my problem with Chiarelli, he's done a good job improving the team, however, I think a lot of that has more to do with McDavid + Klefbom + Draisaitl improving and staying healthy than Chiarelli himself. He's still done his part though, however, I feel with the assets he's moved over the past couple years he should've been able to improve the team to a level higher than it is at right now, especially considering what other GMs are doing with lesser pieces.

Let's see some results. Calgary doesn't scare me at all. Overrated top 4 D and still have a bad goalie. We're going to destroy them this year.

There top 4 D blows ours out of the water with Sekera out and is top 3 in the NHL. Calgary got 2/4 of that top 4 for DRAFT PICKS

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
This is my problem with Chiarelli, he's done a good job improving the team, however, I think a lot of that has more to do with McDavid + Klefbom + Draisaitl improving and staying healthy than Chiarelli himself. He's still done his part though, however, I feel with the assets he's moved over the past couple years he should've been able to improve the team to a level higher than it is at right now, especially considering what other GMs are doing with lesser pieces.

There top 4 D blows ours out of the water with Sekera out and is top 3 in the NHL. Calgary got 2/4 of that top 4 for DRAFT PICKS
Their top 4 was supposed to blow ours out of the water last year too. Watch them play. They bleed odd man rushes it's why their goalies can't succeed plus they cost a ton. DRAFT PICKS.....are what we need to have to cheap cost controlled young players.

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Their top 4 was supposed to blow ours out of the water last year too. Watch them play. They bleed odd man rushes it's why their goalies can't succeed plus they cost a ton. DRAFT PICKS.....are what we need to have to cheap cost controlled young players.

If you honestly think the Oilers Top 4 D is better than the Flames Top 4 D I don't know what to tell you, you're clearly biased

Yea I rather have immediate impact players than those draft picks that most likely end up being nothing in the end. Especially with this teams lack of ability to draft NHL players outside of the first round

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
If you honestly think the Oilers Top 4 D is better than the Flames Top 4 D I don't know what to tell you, you're clearly biased

Yea I rather have immediate impact players than those draft picks that most likely end up being nothing in the end. Especially with this teams lack of ability to draft NHL players outside of the first round

At preventing goals? Our top 4 is hands down better.

We can't afford immediate impact players. Have you not paid attention the last week?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

I don't think you're fully understanding the importance of the draft picks moving forward. With McDavid and probably Draisatl eating up as much of the cap as they're going to be, we're not going to have much choice but to recycle young wingers through the lineup. They'll be cheap while they're on their entry level contracts but when those are up they'll have to be moved for more cheaper wingers on entry level contracts again. We need our draft picks to increase our chances of starting and continuing to find these players. Things are different now compared to what they were in the past and it sucks but that's the price you apparently pay now for having an elite player like McDavid.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Let's go out and **** away our cap so that we watch Drai walk if we can't meet his contract demands. Great strategy. Like it or not priorities 1 and 2 this offseason are locking up McDavid and Draisaitl. In a way it's a great thing that their extensions get done at the same time because we should know what our 2 core players will be locked up for the next 8 years if all goes well. This is the equivalent of what the last offseason was for Calgary when they were in a tough spot with the cap and had to sign their 2 best forwards.

Also keep in mind that they were embarrassed by our team last year and that fuels them more than anything to improve.

I have little doubt that once things are lined up that we will look to improve certain areas of the roster. In the meantime it's important that we don't screw our cap situation up so that we have to deal core players.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I like most of what PC has done, but not having Drai signed before he recieves an offer sheet (if that ends up happening) is a fail.

By doing that, u r effectively letting a competitor tell u how much u will pay a player.

I don't get it, unless he tried and Drai is waiting this out.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
We locked up our core players years ago all at 6 mill a piece and now are dumped two of them and probably a 3rd if draisaitl signs.

I have no issue with the lock up big pay of mcdavid but I'm sure not prepared to just give draisaitl whatever he wants.

skorf

Jun 30, 2013
I don't think you're fully understanding the importance of the draft picks moving forward. With McDavid and probably Draisatl eating up as much of the cap as they're going to be, we're not going to have much choice but to recycle young wingers through the lineup. They'll be cheap while they're on their entry level contracts but when those are up they'll have to be moved for more cheaper wingers on entry level contracts again. We need our draft picks to increase our chances of starting and continuing to find these players. Things are different now compared to what they were in the past and it sucks but that's the price you apparently pay now for having an elite player like McDavid.

Exactly. Draft picks become important.

Also handing out our 4-6 million dollar contracts becomes extra important... chia may have missed that memo.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton

oiler colored glasses.

they have an insanely solid to excellent top 6. top to bottom their D is better than Edmonton's in every way.

and smith is not a bad goalie. a d-bag, but even the worst critique would have him as average to slightly above.

add how thin Edmonton's top 6 is on the wing, and you're drinking the kool-ade to think Edmonton will destroy them.

on topic.
again, while Chia has made some good moves, I refuse to give him props until I see the Mcdavid and drai contracts. and then again after I see how he manages the cap over the next two years.
he hasn't proved in his career he can successfully manage the cap.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
oiler colored glasses.

they have an insanely solid to excellent top 6. top to bottom their D is better than Edmonton's in every way.

and smith is not a bad goalie. a d-bag, but even the worst critique would have him as average to slightly above.

add how thin Edmonton's top 6 is on the wing, and you're drinking the kool-ade to think Edmonton will destroy them.

on topic.
again, while Chia has made some good moves, I refuse to give him props until I see the Mcdavid and drai contracts. and then again after I see how he manages the cap over the next two years.
he hasn't proved in his career he can successfully manage the cap.
We have been hearing how great Flames defence is for years no different than Oilers in going into 13/14 claiming how great our top 6 was and we know. how that ended Calgary is one year removed from dead last in Gaa last season they were 14th . I will believe it when I see it. You know what else looks real good on paper ? This just try using it.
F0GvN3W.jpg

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I like most of what PC has done, but not having Drai signed before he recieves an offer sheet (if that ends up happening) is a fail.

By doing that, u r effectively letting a competitor tell u how much u will pay a player.

I don't get it, unless he tried and Drai is waiting this out.

Its Draisaitl waiting it out. If Chia had his way, Draisaitl would have been signed last season. But decided to wait until now to sign. Now his demands are higher and now we are playing the waiting game.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

We should not have guarded Reinhart extra hard just because of what we paid for him. Make every move in a vacuum. Do whatever is best at the time. If Chia was weak, he would have bribed Vegas to take someone else, just to keep Reinhart, just to make himself look better. He's moving on from his mistake.

Also, keeping Davidson was not an option. He did well a couple years ago, but really fell off since, and carries a 1.4 million AV deal next season. There is zero indication at all that Vegas would take Davidson, and in fact they could have taken Davidson from Montreal but took Emelin instead, who carries a much higher salary and had to be dumped with retention for a 3rd. So Davidson wasn't even worth that. Thank god Chia dumped Davidson when he did. Getting Desharnais was a win because his cap hit is already off the books, and he helped a ton in the playoffs.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Call me crazy, but I actually like the Oilers' D (when healthy) better than the Flames'. If Nurse and Benning can improve, it will be even better.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
We have been hearing how great Flames defence is for years no different than Oilers in going into 13/14 claiming how great our top 6 was and we know. how that ended Calgary is one year removed from dead last in Gaa last season they were 14th . I will believe it when I see it. You know what else looks real good on paper ? This just try using it.
F0GvN3W.jpg

Ya well you have to give props where props are due

Calgary defense dominated years ago and carried the entire team. They didn't have a top 6 or a decent goalie, which for whatever reason people want to discredit them

Nash gets league wide praises for their defense yet they have Rinne and a solid top 9 finally

Calgary d is comparable to those teams and give them a trusty goalie and some more depth upfront, they are as good as Nashville

Cgy d is solid. They finally have a legit goalie in Smith. They will be a threat

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Ya well you have to give props where props are due

Calgary defense dominated years ago and carried the entire team. They didn't have a top 6 or a decent goalie, which for whatever reason people want to discredit them

Nash gets league wide praises for their defense yet they have Rinne and a solid top 9 finally

Calgary d is comparable to those teams and give them a trusty goalie and some more depth upfront, they are as good as Nashville

Cgy d is solid. They finally have a legit goalie in Smith. They will be a threat
Elliot is a better goalie than Smith he was great in St.Louis Hextal a conn Smythe goalie winner knows this as well cut ties with Mason and signed Elliot how many more goalies that did well on other teams before Flames realize their defence has one flaw and that's playing it's position. They basically had 4 Wideman's with different names good on offence but that's it.And their goals against stats for last 4 years backs this up. And really people raving over Calgary who cares we destroyed and humiliated last season and finished well above them in the standings. Like Hamonic and Smith are putting them over the top :help:

NeutralFan88

Jun 23, 2017
What does Calgary's D dominating years ago have to do with now? They had their Cinderella year where the D were putting up crazy offensive numbers.

As a unit they have always bled goals and chances. Brodie sucked last year although he was going through some issues personally.

Gio honestly is hit or miss to me.looks great one second and brutal the next.

Don't trust Mike Smith. Think "Tre" gets sooo overrated.

Hamilton is ok. Soft, but good offensive iq.

Brutal in the ducks series.

Hamonic is hoping for a bounce back season.

I see a lot of ifs in Calgary. Not scared of them upfront at all.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Let's go out and **** away our cap so that we watch Drai walk if we can't meet his contract demands. Great strategy. Like it or not priorities 1 and 2 this offseason are locking up McDavid and Draisaitl. In a way it's a great thing that their extensions get done at the same time because we should know what our 2 core players will be locked up for the next 8 years if all goes well. This is the equivalent of what the last offseason was for Calgary when they were in a tough spot with the cap and had to sign their 2 best forwards.

Also keep in mind that they were embarrassed by our team last year and that fuels them more than anything to improve.

I have little doubt that once things are lined up that we will look to improve certain areas of the roster. In the meantime it's important that we don't screw our cap situation up so that we have to deal core players.

1\2 the posters in this board are not looking at the 18\19 season...seeing we have players 10 players signed..

We have 36 in cap but let's say 38 with the cap going up by 2 million. 22 of 38 will be going to two players. Leaving 16 to sign 10 more players for an NHL roster of 22

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
1\2 the posters in this board are not looking at the 18\19 season...seeing we have players 10 players signed..

We have 36 in cap but let's say 38 with the cap going up by 2 million. 22 of 38 will be going to two players. Leaving 16 to sign 10 more players for an NHL roster of 22

Yes, but what you're leaving out of this point is that the positions left needing to be signed are all bottom 6 and bottom pairing players. Add to that fact that Nuge is likely to be traded, that adds some cap space as well.

I'm not saying we're in good shape with the cap, but its not as bad as you're making it out to be either.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012

Didn't we just have one of the better year over year improvements in NHL history? :dunno: Chia also acquired 2 of our top four without having to give up anything but cash. Certainly McDavid,Draisaitl and Klefbom are big parts of the equation but Chia got us a hell of a goalie , rebuilt our defense and turned us from a bunch of ******* in to one of the tougher teams in the league. Were you expecting a finals appearance or would only a Stanley Cup have met your expectations? :facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad