Peter Chiarelli Appreciation Thread

CantHaveTkachev

Accruing Cap Space
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
All good moves.

Over pay and term for russell
One of the worst trades in oiler history with reinhart.
not getting an extra in the hall deal
not getting and extra in the eberle deal

He's made good moves and some lousy ones, I fear that he is 'done for the off season' in which case this team is worse than it was last year and his off season gming is tambo like.

lol..I hate the deal too, but worst in Oiler history?

did you forget about the Pronger trade?

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
If Draisatl signs at more than 8 million a year this thread should empty out pretty quickly I'd imagine.

If Charelli does bad things, and bad things happen to the team, then this thread should and will empty out.

However that still doesn't make the people predicting gloom and doom in this thread right. Unless you believe there is worth in guessing the future correctly. I certainly don't.

It's just amazing to me that people who can't possibly have privilege to 1/100 of the information Chirelli has--not to mention having no way of divining the future--can say the things I'm reading in here. It is absolute insanity.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I love how some of the anti-Chia brigade loves to shrug off the Klefbom contract.... if we had bridged him instead of going for the long deal we would be needing to pay him over the next two years. So our cap problems would have become even worse

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
You guys can beat your muh Maroon muh Kassian drums all you want.

Yes he cleared out all of MacTavish's crap but he has not improved this team one iota from last year. Not one bit.

What has he done in the offseason?

Look down the QE 2 giving away picks and getting an under 30 NHL dman for a glorious cap hit.

The team is a year older and their younger players in their early to mid 20's are going to improve, especially with playoff experience. Internal improvement is still improvement even without very many moves. Minor deals will get made here or there but the Oilers top 6 in Forwards and defense is set, the only thing to tweak is the bottom 6 and possibly a better option then Brossoit as a backup.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If Charelli does bad things, and bad things happen to the team, then this thread should and will empty out.

However that still doesn't make the people predicting gloom and doom in this thread right. Unless you believe there is worth in guessing the future correctly. I certainly don't.

It's just amazing to me that people who can't possibly have privilege to 1/100 of the information Chirelli has--not to mention having no way of divining the future--can say the things I'm reading in here. It is absolute insanity.

Well he's already 0/2 in the offseason between the Russell contract and the Eberle deal. I've accepted that McDavid is going to get whatever he wants but if he overpays Draisatl then that's just another blemish.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
Well he's already 0/2 in the offseason between the Russell contract and the Eberle deal. I've accepted that McDavid is going to get whatever he wants but if he overpays Draisatl then that's just another blemish.

1. Eberle sucks.
2. the Russel contract is fine.

(note that both are matters of opinion. The only 'truth' that can be garnered from either move is what happens next year. Which, unless some people here have a device I don't know about, is impossible at this time).

3. What would you have him do about Draisatl, exactly?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
1. Eberle sucks.
2. the Russel contract is fine.

(note that both are matters of opinion. The only 'truth' that can be garnered from either move is what happens next year. Which, unless some people here have a device I don't know about, is impossible at this time).

3. What would you have him do about Draisatl, exactly?

Negotiate and hopefully get his asking price down, because the numbers being thrown around here and by insiders are alarming.

You know, his job.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Isn't there 20 other topics you could be talking about this in?

Sure, isn't there that same amount you could offer a rebuttal in?

I appreciate the work that Chiarelli did last year but as of right now he needs to make damn sure his team can contend for a Cup this year and so far he hasn't done that and it doesn't sound like he's going to do that in free agency either.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Sure, isn't there that same amount you could offer a rebuttal in?

I appreciate the work that Chiarelli did last year but as of right now he needs to make damn sure his team can contend for a Cup this year and so far he hasn't done that and it doesn't sound like he's going to do that in free agency either.

:nopity:

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
too soon. let's see what he does with paying mcdavid and drai, and how he manages the cap.

he's done pretty well, but I'm not ready to bow before him.

This is what I'm curious about as well. He struggled in Boston with the cap after the cup win. I'm hoping he doesn't repeat it too much in edm :laugh:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
All good moves.

Over pay and term for russell
One of the worst trades in oiler history with reinhart.

He's made good moves and some lousy ones, I fear that he is 'done for the off season' in which case this team is worse than it was last year and his off season gming is tambo like.

So one bad deal, a couple of picks left on the table, and gave an extra year to a player that he likes, the team likes, the coach likes, that played top 4 minutes and had a strong playoffs?

Not exactly going to get bent out of shape over that.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Me not being a GM does not mean I can't criticize Chiarelli for doing a poor job.

I'll be sure to bump this thread when he gets fired next summer.

Thats the great thing about the internet "anybody can say anything"!
Thats the worst thing about the internet "anybody can say anything"!

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
No need to complain about the Lucic deal guys. He has a degenerative back issue which will probably cause him to go on LTIR 2 or 3 seasons from now. Did you guys really think that the Hawks are the only ones that know how to game the salary cap? Nobody excepts him to last the whole 7 years on his deal.

Please explain this statement.

Elftor

Jan 19, 2017
Edmonton
Chiarelli is the best GM the oilers have had in a LONG time and yet the fanbase loves to dump on him. The only trades that went bad were the Reinhart trade, and that judgement is all 20/20 hindsight as the same idiots who are ******** on him for that trade were loving it when we acquired the "heart and soul of the Oil Kings". At the time it was a good trade, just like at the time Yakupov was the uncontested 1st overall. He's made up for it in spades with the Talbot trade, Kassian turnaround, and Maroon.

Fans are emotional and love players like Davidson, 2013 Reinhart, and Hall, which is fine, but a GM has to be detached from the players and make coldhearted calls. Turning us from a dumpster fire to one goalie interference call away from the WCF in 2 years is an amazing feat, and is why he was the 2nd best GM this year.

McDavid has a lot to do with it yes, but look at Buffalo and Colorado. Mackinnon and Eichel are 1A to Connor's 1, and both those franchises are horrible. If the old boys club was still in charge, we wouldn't be contenders. One player doesn't make a team.

Elftor

Jan 19, 2017
Edmonton
Milan has Scheuermann's disease. Another athlete with that disease is 3x MLB All Star Hunter Pence who is still playing at 34.

Yep. Lucic can retire onto the LTIR when he wants basically, especially if 'equipment allergy' is an acceptable excuse. It's rare you get perks from inherited diseases like that, but good for him.

AVE MAN

Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
All good moves.

The extra in the deal is the cap space. The Oil got Larson dude, it should have been NJ that got the extra player in that deal. Did you watch hockey last year?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Negotiate and hopefully get his asking price down, because the numbers being thrown around here and by insiders are alarming.

You know, his job.

And...how do you know he's NOT doing that? And if he continues to do that and someone comes along and offer sheets him for 2 mill more, then how do you feel about the tough negotiations?

I'm not saying to sit back and give them what they want, and if you believe that is what happens, then perhaps you know less about this than I think you do. But at some point, a medium is reached, which is not what everyone probably wanted in the first place, but it's the spot that they can all live with.

skorf

Jun 30, 2013
I love how some of the anti-Chia brigade loves to shrug off the Klefbom contract.... if we had bridged him instead of going for the long deal we would be needing to pay him over the next two years. So our cap problems would have become even worse

If the pro-Chia are goin to throw out the klefbom deal then I can counter and say chia screwed up by not locking up drai last year. I love how the pro-chia brigade loves to shrug off the upcoming drai contract.... if we had signed him long term last year instead of waiting we would be paying him 3-4 million less than we will be paying him now. So out cap problems would have become better.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Chiarelli is the best GM the oilers have had in a LONG time and yet the fanbase loves to dump on him. The only trades that went bad were the Reinhart trade, and that judgement is all 20/20 hindsight as the same idiots who are ******** on him for that trade were loving it when we acquired the "heart and soul of the Oil Kings". At the time it was a good trade, just like at the time Yakupov was the uncontested 1st overall. He's made up for it in spades with the Talbot trade, Kassian turnaround, and Maroon.

Fans are emotional and love players like Davidson, 2013 Reinhart, and Hall, which is fine, but a GM has to be detached from the players and make coldhearted calls. Turning us from a dumpster fire to one goalie interference call away from the WCF in 2 years is an amazing feat, and is why he was the 2nd best GM this year.

McDavid has a lot to do with it yes, but look at Buffalo and Colorado. Mackinnon and Eichel are 1A to Connor's 1, and both those franchises are horrible. If the old boys club was still in charge, we wouldn't be contenders. One player doesn't make a team.

Keep in mind that you're only seeing the most spazzy, emotionally immature, uneducated and attention-starved portion of our fanbase railing against Chiarelli.

Most fans are being patient and have enjoyed the early returns of Chiarelli's efforts.

skorf

Jun 30, 2013
I think the people that appreciate chia are happy that he got the team to the playoffs and are satisfied with that.

I think the people that are not happy with Chia would acknowledge that our team was better last year and likely next year too with the moves he made, but with the moves that he has made, that he may be costing us Stanley cups down the line by saddling us with bad contracts.

And before we hear the chia won a cup argument, he got lucky that chara became a top 3 D (and that Ottawa gave him up as a free agent)
By the time he left Boston, they were in a cap nightmare (he didn't fix it so I don't know why we trust he will here) and they had a poor pool of prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad