Peter Chiarelli Appreciation Thread

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
I would say 40-60 good/bad. He's been making some incredibly short-sighted moves lately, which will hurt the team in the future (which he likely won't be around for).

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
He's been handled a golden hen. Apart from the Larsson miracle nothing has really been too astute a managerial move.

Maybe just "letting it come together" was the play here - but it's not like most other GM's would have done the same.

Kassian, Maroon, Talbot, Klefbom extension, Maclellan, Sekera...

Pools Closed*

Dec 1, 2010
And the Leafs success this year had nothing to do with Matthew s? Or any other teams success with their top players? :shakehead

That's exactly what Im saying. The drastic turnaround is not because of Chia, it's because we've got the best player in the world. When was the last time an Art Ross winner missed the playoffs?

John Connor McDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Kassian, Maroon, Talbot, Klefbom extension, Maclellan, Sekera...

Klefbom extension was going to be an automatic anyways.

Talbot, Kassian, Maroon I'll commend for sure. Sekera is merely meeting the expectations of his cap hit IMO.

But let's talk about the other stuff:
-Reinhart extension
-Russell extension
-Hamonic/Hjalmarsson misses
-Gustavsson signing
-Lucic contract

Again to me he's essentially been average. With the good deals have come the bad deals. But at least he hasn't blown up the core. It's hard not to do well with what he was handed.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
He's been handled a golden hen. Apart from the Larsson miracle nothing has really been too astute a managerial move.

Maybe just "letting it come together" was the play here - but it's not like most other GM's would have done the same.

CHQ_20151015_NHL_Blues_at_Oilers009.jpg

1297794744857_ORIGINAL.jpg

edmonton-ab-march-8-2016-patrick-maroon-of-the-edmonto2.jpeg

stk-oilers-andrej-sekera.jpg

Sorry what was that?

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

Talbot, Kassian, Maroon I'll commend for sure. Sekera is merely meeting the expectations of his cap hit IMO.

-Reinhart extension
-Russell extension
-Gustavsson signing
-Lucic contract

Again to me he's essentially been average. With the good deals have come the bad deals. But at least he hasn't blown up the core. It's hard not to do well with what he was handed.

So you're faulting the GM for not trading for guys that got traded. That's a great argument. Why stop there? Shoulda gone for Shattenkirk at the Trade Deadline.

Reinhart was never extended.

Lucic played alright.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
That's exactly what Im saying. The drastic turnaround is not because of Chia, it's because we've got the best player in the world. When was the last time an Art Ross winner missed the playoffs?

you know it's pretty ridiculous when i read things like this because the Oilers quite clearly won as a team this year. and Chia had very much to do with creating that winning formula by acquiring guys like Sekera, Kassian, Larsson, Talbot, Maroon, hiring a competent coaching staff in T-Mac and his guys. what you are saying my friend is absolute nonsense and quite obviously trolling. are you sure you know the game as much as you think you do? :shakehead

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

-Reinhart extension
-Russell extension
-Gustavsson signing
-Lucic contract

Just pointing out your obvious omissions to the "astute managerial moves"...

No one is claiming he is perfect, even his biggest supporters won't defend the Reinhart deal but the fact is, he's infinitely better than Tambo or MacT.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
You guys can beat your muh Maroon muh Kassian drums all you want.

Yes he cleared out all of MacTavish's crap but he has not improved this team one iota from last year. Not one bit.

What has he done in the offseason?

Look down the QE 2 giving away picks and getting an under 30 NHL dman for a glorious cap hit.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
You guys can beat your muh Maroon muh Kassian drums all you want.

Yes he cleared out all of MacTavish's crap but he has not improved this team one iota from last year. Not one bit.

What has he done in the offseason?

Look down the QE 2 giving away picks and getting an under 30 NHL dman for a glorious cap hit.

He's already said before the off season started he expects this team to grow internally this year.

Not sure why people are surprised????

Maybe it's way to high of expectations like always on this board.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It's hard to appreciate him at this very moment when his rival to the south is improving their back end (something the Oilers need to do) and the most we've done so far is sell low on an asset.

Yes it's still early into the off-season but with McDavid and Draisatl likely getting big raises, the cap crunch will soon hit the Oilers and if they don't win it all before too long things could really get dicey.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Every single playoff team in the west downgraded, except Calgary. Calgary had a .500 season with a 10 game win streak in the middle of it. Also, even though they gained Hamonic, they lost Stone. It's still an upgrade, but is it really enough to turn them into the team that destroys us? No.

And what was our downgrade? Eberle wasn't performing here, and there is a good chance that Puljujarvi makes the jump next year and does better than him. Strome could be a great third liner for us.

And I don't believe that the media guys are right that we are done. I think we will add a couple pieces to fill some holes, but they won't be major.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

-Reinhart extension
-Russell extension
-Gustavsson signing
-Lucic contract

LOL. So we can include deals that he didn't even do as "misses" but the contract extensions he actually did do are "automatic"?

Oilers fans are really starting to upset me. The guy gets a legit starting goaltender and one of our MVPs for nothing but we are going to complain that he didn't sign a good enough backup. No pleasing some people.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Surprised I haven't seen one yet. But I'd like to give a hat tip to our POHO.

Peter has accomplished so much in two years.

Sifting through scouting and management positions, while tip toeing around ownership loyalty to undeserving individuals.

Solidifying coaching, hiring a veteran teaching coach who brought in his own staff.

Finding a number 1 goalie.

Addressing defence. Bringing in an affordable mix of vets and youth to defend as a committee bringing our GA down.

Addressing size. Bringing in Kassian, Maroon, gryba, Lucic. This is a team we can be proud of and stick up for each other.

Changing the culture/make up of the room. This is a resilient team. Bold moves were needed to change the mix. We had too much of the same. Peter gave his coach more tools.

Signing college free agents to aid poor drafting past. (Benning/ Drake)

We have a well educated, experienced/ winning GM. Let's enjoy this. We are tough, skilled and play with pace.

too soon. let's see what he does with paying mcdavid and drai, and how he manages the cap.

he's done pretty well, but I'm not ready to bow before him.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
LOL. So we can include deals that he didn't even do as "misses" but the contract extensions he actually did do are "automatic"?

Oilers fans are really starting to upset me. The guy gets a legit starting goaltender and one of our MVPs for nothing but we are going to complain that he didn't sign a good enough backup. No pleasing some people.

Apparently any good things he does are complete luck while everything bad is his fault.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Maroon, Kassian, Talbot, Caggiula and Benning all say hello.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
Um what has he done to make the team better than last year?

Can anyone name even 1 thing? Not a single asset has been acquired to address deficiencies.

Chairelli put Boston in cap hell and when he doles out 10m to LD match Montreals offer sheet hell put us in cap hell for the next decade.

lol WTF??

So... you.... don't want him to match an offer from Montreal that you 'divined' somehow would be at 10 million?

I don't understand how comments like this can make sense to anyone.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
He's already said before the off season started he expects this team to grow internally this year.

Not sure why people are surprised????

Maybe it's way to high of expectations like always on this board.

Between that and the fact that it is still June.
I suspect we sign at least one more free agent. Someone who can step up in the top six but is more comfortable on the third line.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
No need to complain about the Lucic deal guys. He has a degenerative back issue which will probably cause him to go on LTIR 2 or 3 seasons from now. Did you guys really think that the Hawks are the only ones that know how to game the salary cap? Nobody excepts him to last the whole 7 years on his deal.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Maroon, Kassian, Talbot, Caggiula and Benning all say hello.

All good moves.

Over pay and term for russell
One of the worst trades in oiler history with reinhart.
not getting an extra in the hall deal
not getting and extra in the eberle deal

He's made good moves and some lousy ones, I fear that he is 'done for the off season' in which case this team is worse than it was last year and his off season gming is tambo like.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad