Peter Chiarelli Appreciation Thread

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
He's a poor negotiator and he's overly complacent.

We'll see how much of pulling Talbot/Maroon was luck in future years as we'll need many more of these types of deals to be an elite team moving forward.

Guys, this is a Chiarelli Appteciation thread. If you're just going to come in here to ***** and **** on him, maybe don't post in here.

You say this, but if someone were to start a deprecation thread, I'm sure some of you would be in there complaining about it's existence.

Last edited:

Pools Closed*

Dec 1, 2010
Lmao he's a bottom 3 GM in the league. This thread is going to be funny next offseason when he gets fired.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The day the ping pong ball fell left instead of right the coach, gm and the whole organizations IQ went up by 100 points.

Other than that bit of spectacular luck Chia has been okay. He's made some nice moves and some big fails.

edmoil3

Mar 26, 2010
Guys, this is a Chiarelli Appteciation thread. If you're just going to come in here to ***** and **** on him, maybe don't post in here. There are plenty of threads out there in which you can complain (and you do).

Very happy that he's our GM. And many of you know how much I hate the Eberle trade (I've stayed away from talking about it since it happened, I figure I might as well wait to see how Strome pans out). IMO, about 80% of his moves or more have been good ones, and of the bad ones some weren't even his fault, or he really was backed into a corner.

First time we've seen playoffs in over a decade and people have the gall to complain. We had McDavid last year, and we weren't making the playoffs even with him healthy. Chiarelli built the team to better perform around McDavid, and I have faith it will continue.

Yea thanks for the support mods

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
He is one of the better GMs in the league for sure. I think a lot of the criticism of him comes from how people imagine the world to be, and not how it actually is. That or there are outside fans who just don't like us, so they aren't going to be fair.

The only true measure of GM is results. No matter what you say about his moves individually, his total effect has been to balance the roster and greatly enhance its character. He transformed us into a winner very quickly, and to say it's all because of McDavid is ignorant

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB

We'll see how much of pulling Talbot/Maroon was luck in future years as we'll need many more of these types of deals to be an elite team moving forward.

You say this, but if someone were to start a deprecation thread, I'm sure some of you would be in there complaining about it's existence.

The guy is a lawyer.

Do you really think he does not know how to negotiate?

Whether he can evaluate talent is another question, but I do not see him overpaying at all in negotiations.

He paid McDavid, Russell and Lucic exactly what they were worth in the current market.

Better argument is whether or not they should have been signed at all (last 2 only).

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton

To the bolded - based on what? Russell's contract and the fact that he hasn't signed any free agents yet? The HallvLarrson trade where we were desperate and a team took advantage? Same thing again for Eberle? How many players has he brought in the last couple of years? Complacent is not the right term for Chiarelli.

And to the remainder - it's a very clear "rule" that you aren't supposed to come into a thread and completely derail and bash it. That is exactly what all of you are doing by being completely negative about Chia.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013

Says the guy typing on a computer about the guy with a Stanley Cup ring and GM of the year nomination.... LOL hilarious as you've likely never sat across the desk from the man or spoken to anyone who has negotiated with him... Keep being GM on NHL17 where you're a wizard at managing the cap. THIS IS AN APPRECIATION THREAD!

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I think the timing of this thread could have been better... maybe right after Kassian signing.

right now everyone is freaking out over Chia likely paying 22M to McDrai after just signing Russell to 4x4 and Gryba to a 2 yr deal.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Chia is going to bring the cup back to Edmonton.

Any back lash this man gets from fans, says more about the fans then it does about Chia.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
Hear, Hear. Love Chiarelli. I don't have much else to say than that. I'm not qualified.

Oh, but here is something I AM qualified to say. The idiocy in this and many other threads on these boards lately is staggering. I particularly liked the 'Chia is only lucky' line of thought. Brilliant. I could talk about how 'unlucky' he was with Griffon and a few other moves, but I think I'll just make some popcorn and continue reading.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Lmao he's a bottom 3 GM in the league. This thread is going to be funny next offseason when he gets fired.

Chia getting fired next season? LMAO. Why don't you put a wager on that, and if you lose you have to refrain from posting on here for 5 years?

Why don't you enlighten all of us with the brilliant moves and incredible salary cutting measures you would have done?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Some random slob on an internet forum > law degree general manager.

Apparently some people equate improvement from being a near last place team, to one that finished with over 100 points and a mere 2 out of the division crown, as well as going to game 7 of the 2nd round while being jobbed by the officials, is doing a poor job.:shakehead

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Um what has he done to make the team better than last year?

Can anyone name even 1 thing? Not a single asset has been acquired to address deficiencies.

Chairelli put Boston in cap hell and when he doles out 10m to LD match Montreals offer sheet hell put us in cap hell for the next decade.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Can anyone name even 1 thing? Not a single asset has been acquired to address deficiencies.

Chairelli put Boston in cap hell and when he doles out 10m to LD match Montreals offer sheet hell put us in cap hell for the next decade.

Do you have link for this or are you just throwing crap against the wall?

Pools Closed*

Dec 1, 2010
Apparently some people equate improvement from being a near last place team, to one that finished with over 100 points and a mere 2 out of the division crown, as well as going to game 7 of the 2nd round while being jobbed by the officials, is doing a poor job.:shakehead

Because a full season of healthy McDavid and Klefbom had nothing to do with that huh?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

He's clearly in cap management mode now, and his main roster focus is maintaining what this team already achieved, and ensuring the future of our squad by keeping McD and Drai on the team.

I know Rishaug said the roster is set, but I still will wait to see if that's for real. It seems likely that we'd add a couple 1 year contracts to plug some holes. There's still a ton of time.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta

I do think you have an argument here but on the flip side, what big changes need to happen to a young team that was a win away from the western finals? He shipped out an expensive player who was dead weight in the playoffs and re-upped a guy so our young dman can continue to develop in favourable roles.

I'm not exactly convinced that this team is a lock to win another playoff series next year but there's argument that this team did not need to sell out assets to bring it over the hump.

John Connor McDavid

Apr 17, 2017
He's been handled a golden hen. Apart from the Larsson miracle nothing has really been too astute a managerial move.

Maybe just "letting it come together" was the play here - but it's not like most other GM's would have done the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad