Peter Chiarelli Appreciation Thread

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Keep in mind that you're only seeing the most spazzy, emotionally immature, uneducated and attention-starved portion of our fanbase railing against Chiarelli.

Most fans are being patient and have enjoyed the early returns of Chiarelli's efforts.

bingo

and it won't stop until the first winning streak of next season

and it'll resume after the first loss

skorf

Jun 30, 2013
Keep in mind that you're only seeing the most spazzy, emotionally immature, uneducated and attention-starved portion of our fanbase railing against Chiarelli.

Most fans are being patient and have enjoyed the early returns of Chiarelli's efforts.

Well I guess I'm spazzy then.

I enjoyed the playoff run too but we aren't setting ourselves up to hoist the cup. Chia himself said we did better than expected this year so we are further ahead then he thinks and his plan is for 2-3 years down the road. If that's the case, why has he strapped us with big contracts to guys who won't be as effective in a few years.

In 2 years
Sekera will be 33
Lucic 31
Russell 32

A 33 year old sekera won't be as good, if compare him to seidenberg and his play has fallen off
Russell is a poor mans girardi, girardi's play went down hill after 30
Lucic it's hard to find a comparison since his skill set is unique... Wendell Clark? Who again went down hill in his 30s

We will have 15.5 million tied up in players with diminishing returns. People keep on bringing up the Pittsburgh model for us, but they have Kunitz and that's it who made big money and didn't produce.
We are more using the A) LA model the last few years, superstars like kopitar, doughty, carter, quick but miss the playoffs partially because they can't improve due to big deals to guys like brown, gaborik, and guys bought out like Greene and Richards or the B) Chicago model after giving Toews/Kane their last contract. Needing to move players out for cap reasons versteeg, bickell, Kruger? maybe and having to move prospects to do it... leaving the cupboard bare and not having guys to step in and fill a role because you moved the pick/prospect to get rid of a bad contract.
-maybe not the best examples since they've won cups. But they won the cups before handing out huge money to kopitar, doughty, Toews and Kane

Because of lucic's contract, we may not be able to keep JP and for sure can't keep nuge. Russell's contract may force us to lose benning. Or Safin has two good years and looks like he could help us (similar to a bear or paigin now) and we instead have to trade him and his cheap ELC along with sekera to get sekera off the books.
Those are some hypotheticals. Sure "In Chia we trust" blah blah but he hasn't ever proven that he can do that, he failed at that aspect in Boston, and if he can't manage it successfully we may just win a cup or two rather than the 4-5 that we are capable of with the talent we got

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
In 2 years
Sekera will be 33
Lucic 31
Russell 32

since when is 31 year of age too old?
Campbell is what 38.. Backes is 33.. Kunitz 37.. heck even Sid the kid is 30.

Lucic and Sekera are past their prime but should still be good for a few more years..

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Paid a ton for Reinhart while ending up getting a helluva deal for Talbot.
Probably paid Lucic too many years but Hall trade was awesome.
Resigned Russel for too many years but got rid of Eberle's contract.
Got Maroon for a steal but we got NOTHING for Davidson.

He's clearly done more good than harm and there's a lot to be said for that considering the damage our past 2 GMs did, but if he goes over 20M cap space to sign Drai and McDavid I'm gonna lay an egg.

Whether we sign them to 5 year bridge deals now or not they're still gonna get a ******** of money on their net contracts so I don't see why we can't get drai for under 8 and McDavid for under 10 for the time being.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

He's clearly done more good than harm and there's a lot to be said for that considering the damage our past 2 GMs did, but if he goes over 20M cap space to sign Drai and McDavid I'm gonna lay an egg.

Whether we sign them to 5 year bridge deals now or not they're still gonna get a ******** of money on their net contracts so I don't see why we can't get drai for under 8 and McDavid for under 10 for the time being.

but then after a week or 2 you will get over it. A multi point game by both and you will love.
And by you I mean me !

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Well I guess I'm spazzy then.

I enjoyed the playoff run too but we aren't setting ourselves up to hoist the cup. Chia himself said we did better than expected this year so we are further ahead then he thinks and his plan is for 2-3 years down the road. If that's the case, why has he strapped us with big contracts to guys who won't be as effective in a few years.

In 2 years
Sekera will be 33
Lucic 31
Russell 32

A 33 year old sekera won't be as good, if compare him to seidenberg and his play has fallen off
Russell is a poor mans girardi, girardi's play went down hill after 30
Lucic it's hard to find a comparison since his skill set is unique... Wendell Clark? Who again went down hill in his 30s

We will have 15.5 million tied up in players with diminishing returns. People keep on bringing up the Pittsburgh model for us, but they have Kunitz and that's it who made big money and didn't produce.
We are more using the A) LA model the last few years, superstars like kopitar, doughty, carter, quick but miss the playoffs partially because they can't improve due to big deals to guys like brown, gaborik, and guys bought out like Greene and Richards or the B) Chicago model after giving Toews/Kane their last contract. Needing to move players out for cap reasons versteeg, bickell, Kruger? maybe and having to move prospects to do it... leaving the cupboard bare and not having guys to step in and fill a role because you moved the pick/prospect to get rid of a bad contract.
-maybe not the best examples since they've won cups. But they won the cups before handing out huge money to kopitar, doughty, Toews and Kane

Because of lucic's contract, we may not be able to keep JP and for sure can't keep nuge. Russell's contract may force us to lose benning. Or Safin has two good years and looks like he could help us (similar to a bear or paigin now) and we instead have to trade him and his cheap ELC along with sekera to get sekera off the books.
Those are some hypotheticals. Sure "In Chia we trust" blah blah but he hasn't ever proven that he can do that, he failed at that aspect in Boston, and if he can't manage it successfully we may just win a cup or two rather than the 4-5 that we are capable of with the talent we got

Lucic is the 1st guy I look to get rid of for cap relief. Not worth his salary long term at all.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Chiarelli is the best GM the oilers have had in a LONG time and yet the fanbase loves to dump on him. The only trades that went bad were the Reinhart trade, and that judgement is all 20/20 hindsight as the same idiots who are ******** on him for that trade were loving it when we acquired the "heart and soul of the Oil Kings". At the time it was a good trade, just like at the time Yakupov was the uncontested 1st overall. He's made up for it in spades with the Talbot trade, Kassian turnaround, and Maroon.

Fans are emotional and love players like Davidson, 2013 Reinhart, and Hall, which is fine, but a GM has to be detached from the players and make coldhearted calls. Turning us from a dumpster fire to one goalie interference call away from the WCF in 2 years is an amazing feat, and is why he was the 2nd best GM this year.

McDavid has a lot to do with it yes, but look at Buffalo and Colorado. Mackinnon and Eichel are 1A to Connor's 1, and both those franchises are horrible. If the old boys club was still in charge, we wouldn't be contenders. One player doesn't make a team.

Are you kidding ?? Tons of people hated the Reinhard trade the moment it was made.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
but then after a week or 2 you will get over it. A multi point game by both and you will love.
And by you I mean me !

As long as we can actually be a powerhouse team while paying 2 players that much money I'll be satisfied in the end.

If Drai moves to center and we can find an affordable but effective 3rd line center (or maybe we have him already) we should be good for now but there's no way you can convince me that we'll be able to afford a guy like Maroon long term.

Heck, I can't figure out what happens to our blueline if Nurse and Benning become true impact players.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Are you kidding ?? Tons of people hated the Reinhard trade the moment it was made.

I still don't understand that trade.
PC has given a lot of the Islanders as manager of the Bruins and the Oilers.
The only way I can justify the trade is that PC thought he had no reason to trust Edmonton's scouting staff when he came in and he didn't want to have people pointing fingers at him for drafting duds in his first year.

If that's not the reason why he burned AWESOME assets for a struggling unproven former top 10 pick, then I really don't know. Thing is that he should have known. The Islanders (fans) had nothing awesome to say about Reinhart after the trade and they were shocked that they got that much for him.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Its funny everyone praising Chiarelli for getting Kassian and Maroon.

I mean who cares if he cripples this team with Lucic and Russell. He got Zach Kassian.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

I mean who cares if he cripples this team with Lucic and Russell. He got Zach Kassian.

Russell fills a top 4 role and Lucic is a imposing powerforward good for 50pts.

Chia is building this team like puzzle. Lucic is overpaid but fits.. Russell isnt even overpaid for a top 4 spot. Contract length is way too long for both but the cap hit isnt.

Once Nurse or\and Benning overtake Russell he can be shipped off. Same with Lucic if someone like Caggiula or Slepychev can bounce him off of top 6.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada

That could potentially turn into 10.5M of dead cap space.
LOL it's funny.
It's HILARIOUS.

We're almost done with 22.75M in dead cap space in Nuge (he almost is), Eberle, Pouliot, Ference and Fayne and now we've taken in 10.5M in space that could become dead weight.

If Lucic doesn't lose some weight or work on his skating in the off-season he's going to turn into dead weight.

Then there's Russel. I have no problem with paying a player as effective as he is 4M. I DO have a problem with signing a player to that many years for that amount of they're always taking damage to be effective. Am I crazy to think that the shot blocking will catch up to him?

Regardless, we're probably in good shape to go at least just as deep into the playoffs next year.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
As a Bruins fan, I'm watching how he handles this offseason in regards to MCDavid/Draisaitl, and next year with Nurse/Strom, plus any impending UFA's.

Chiarelli's biggest weaknesses in Boston were trades in terms of value, and giving out more than generous contracts to players that didn't need them, which in turn crippled his ability to address other areas of the team (IE Kelly, Peverely).

For your guys sake, I hope he doesn't repeat his mistakes.

That all being said, the guy built a Cup winner from a disaster of a team that had some solid building blocks (sound familiar?), and turned them into a team that had an incredibly solid run for a few years, and frankly should've been a multiple Cup winner.

He's a good GM, but one that needed to improve.

Good luck guys!

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
I have to................???

I have to agree...........people keep forgetting that Drai ONLY had one good year and technically so did McDavid.

But Connor was rated a generational talent and we all know he only played half a season in his first year because of injury.

The new contract(s) have to build in with some kind of minimum performance clause.

Pools Closed*

Dec 1, 2010

God forbid anyone would want the team to improve this offseason. If you're satisfied with being knocked out in the 2nd round again then that's fine, but some of us actually want the team to compete for the cup.

CantHaveTkachev

Accruing Cap Space
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
God forbid anyone would want the team to improve this offseason. If you're satisfied with being knocked out in the 2nd round again then that's fine, but some of us actually want the team to compete for the cup.

so what should we do, sign a bunch of UFAs? trade our young players?

I mean, look at how much the Ducks, Sharks and Kings have done this offseason!

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Considering the Ducks are still better than us I'm not sure what they have to do. They have a fantastic core of young defensemen, a solid goalie, and have a lot of good veteran presence up front.

CantHaveTkachev

Accruing Cap Space
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Considering the Ducks are still better than us I'm not sure what they have to do. They have a fantastic core of young defensemen, a solid goalie, and have a lot of good veteran presence up front.

...and yet only won the division by 2 points

and their core (Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler) is getting older and older

Pools Closed*

Dec 1, 2010

Maybe we should acquire a top 4 RHD (like our rival did), not give a bottom pairing dman a massive contract with a NTC, not downgrade the RW position, and not buy out a player that we didn't need to?

Chiarelli himself said that our defence wasn't good enough to compete with teams like Anaheim and yet brought back the same 7 guys. This team is worse than last year and I highly doubt any UFA will improve our sub-par defence.

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
...and yet only won the division by 2 points

and their core (Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler) is getting older and older

They still won the division, still beat us in the playoffs, and are a better team.

That core you mentioned strangely doesn't mention their back end, all of which are under 26 years old.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Chiarelli is becoming an embarrassment.

Trelliving has got Hamonic and Stone, both of which are younger, at lower cap hits for shorter terms than Russell. What did it cost him? Draft picks.

What did Strome cost Chiarelli? Eberle. What a joke. He couldnt even get Hamonic for Eberle.

Unleash the homers insisting Russell is better than both and Chiarelli got Zach Kassian.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

Trelliving has got Hamonic and Stone, both of which are younger, at lower cap hits for shorter terms than Russell. What did it cost him? Draft picks.

What did Strome cost Chiarelli? Eberle. What a joke. He couldnt even get Hamonic for Eberle.

Unleash the homers insisting Russell is better than both and Chiarelli got Zach Kassian.

Wrong thread...

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
As a Bruins fan, I'm watching how he handles this offseason in regards to MCDavid/Draisaitl, and next year with Nurse/Strom, plus any impending UFA's.

Chiarelli's biggest weaknesses in Boston were trades in terms of value, and giving out more than generous contracts to players that didn't need them, which in turn crippled his ability to address other areas of the team (IE Kelly, Peverely).

For your guys sake, I hope he doesn't repeat his mistakes.

That all being said, the guy built a Cup winner from a disaster of a team that had some solid building blocks (sound familiar?), and turned them into a team that had an incredibly solid run for a few years, and frankly should've been a multiple Cup winner.

He's a good GM, but one that needed to improve.

Good luck guys!

agree with this. yes he may have been forced to trade Seguin, but the return was god bloddy awful. hurt your franchise.

Pools Closed*

Dec 1, 2010

Treliving has fed Chia his lunch this offseason. He's built a much better team without lucking into a generational player. Im going to be sick if we end up getting dominated by the Flames next season the way we dominated them last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad