Peter Chiarelli Appreciation Thread

edmoil3

Mar 26, 2010
I thought Peter did an awesome job with the 97 contract. Discussing 'Parternship' and Stanley cup rosters with Connor's camp was smart and professional.

I'm relieved to have such an experienced GM.

CantHaveTkachev

Accruing Cap Space
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Top 5 defensive core, Hamonic was a major score.
Unfortunately, I also think the Flames have bottom 10 goaltending and bottom 10 forwards.
We'll see how it plays out.

I'll believe it when I see it...Hamonic and his -21 has a lot of prove
good heart and soul player but he was awful last year

they're still small and soft up front and Smith is just another in a long line of stopgap solutions

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
This is a Chiarelli appreciation thread. He is the GM of the Oilers. OT posts will be removed.

Vanqu1sh

Feb 28, 2013
Edmonton
I'm a big believer in PC, his overall body of work for the Oilers has been very good IMO - and it seems like he really puts a lot of thought and time in to his work.

The one deal that sticks out as tremendously poor is the Reinhart deal. Doesn't make sense to me, he has consistently proven that hes great at scouting defenceman, but threw away assets that he is now holding dear for this guy. I guess he didn't trust the scouts for drafting purposes, but he trusted them for their opinion on Reinhart? Weird.

I think he's been a bit lucky with the goaltending situation at the NHL level, not only has talbot panned out as a starter, he's been a total beast in every way. If he gets injured we're still in trouble, I personally don't have any faith in Brossoit and didn't have any in Gus. From an entire organizational standpoint, however, he has done a good job getting us a variety of good goalies at various points in their careers that have a chance at becoming NHL goalies, for little assets.

Using free agency he added a top 4 D in Sekera, traded Hall for another top4 in Larsson, and then added Lucic to replace him depth-wise. Locked up Klefbom to a great contract pre-emptively, and while Klefbom himself is the main reason for his personal success, Chia saw the potential and provided some players around him that allowed him to develop in a good situation. He added a 3rd top 4D in Russell for free, at an average of 3.8 mil/5 yrs - nice stealth find to round out a top 4 that was non-existent before his arrival. I see Treliving get praise for the top4 he's assembled but the Oilers one has come a long way since PC took charge, and he deserves a lot of credit for getting our D to where it is now. He got us Benning for free, and he's held on to Nurse who both show a lot of promise as future top4D.

Forward-wise we've gone from having a group of forwards that were all too similar in size and style, and we were way too heavy on the wings and thin at center. Obviously mact gets credit for Draisaitl and Mcdavid is Mcdavid, but IMO PC has done a good job of balancing the forward core and using some of the redundant talent to shore up the D (hall-larsson). We went from having no centers and a slew of one-dimensional players to having one of the deepest center cores in the league, with versatility a theme throughout the lineup. Mcdavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Strome, Letestu, Jokinen are all potential C's, and we have Kassian, Lucic, Maroon, Puljujarvi and to a lesser degree Slep and Khaira as gigantic winger options that have varying degrees of talent to play all throughout the lineup.

While acquiring these players our prospect pool has gotten significantly deeper through decent drafting and some key college FA signings which are a real nice bonus. We've actually cleared cap space and haven't given up any significant picks outside of the Reinhart trade. While adding Lucic for free was nice the contract is definitely a little scary, maybe Looch will be at least decent until the end of the contract, or he'll go on LTIR, or there will be an amnesty buyout, etc... He is helping our team right now from a variety of fronts and I think it's worth it - time will tell.

Overall I see a lot of positives and not much negative. If you just take a snapshot of the organizational depth chart from the day PC took his job until today - it's an easy win - night and day difference. The club is run professionally, not every move is perfect and not everyone will agree with every move, but if you look at it with an open mind you can see PC has a plan and is enacting it, and that's a lot more than we had for the couple decades before him.

And he hired TMAC, who along with his staff have been amazing, they've put in a ton of work bringing this team from a complete joke to being in the conversation for SC contender. I could write just as much about him too, but the player development under him has been insane, literally all of our young players are taking off under his guidance.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Isn't every GM with a good roster eventually going to be made to look a fool because of the salary cap?
Even Ken Holland, after all he's done in Detroit, is taking heat from Wings fans these days. Is Bowman still a genius in Chicago or has he turned into an idiot since he handed out those contracts to Kane and Toews and crippled that team?

You can't keep good players and afford to pay them all forever. At some point you're going to have to move some of those good players for nothing to stay under the cap. I don't think it's fair either to criticize returns on perceived player or asset value anymore either. The real value under this system now is cap space and utilizing it to the maximum. If that means you have to dump an underproducing player like Eberle to put his cap hit to better use then you need to do it when the opportunity presents itself. There's no guarantee a better opportunity presents itself.

I'll judge Chiarelli moving forward on if he can find the players, with the limited cap space he'll have, to win championships in the next few years. I won't judge him on putting the team in cap trouble because I think that's inevitable. If he wins, he's done a great job, if he doesn't then he hasn't. There's still too much to come to reach any conclusion now.

I think he's done an excellent job so far. McDavid or not, I don't think the team has the year it did last year with Mactavish in charge. I also don't think we sign McDavid to an eight year extension either with Mac T bumbling through press conferences throwing other people under the bus and trying to explain why things aren't his fault. Chiarelli has brought professionalism back to this organization and I have no shortage of appreciation for that.

Vanqu1sh

Feb 28, 2013
Edmonton
Isn't every GM with a good roster eventually going to be made to look a fool because of the salary cap?

I think we will slowly see non-star players getting paid less and with less term. Teams dont have a choice but to re-sign their aging stars to huge contracts, they are infinitely worse off losing them for nothing. GMs are going to have to skimp elsewhere - the "middle class" is going to get hit the hardest I think. If stars are underpaid, which I guess they are, and their salaries are only going to go up, it's going to drive down the potential salaries for everyone else - there is only so much cap space and stars are what drive the show.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
I'm a big believer in PC, his overall body of work for the Oilers has been very good IMO - and it seems like he really puts a lot of thought and time in to his work.

The one deal that sticks out as tremendously poor is the Reinhart deal. Doesn't make sense to me, he has consistently proven that hes great at scouting defenceman, but threw away assets that he is now holding dear for this guy. I guess he didn't trust the scouts for drafting purposes, but he trusted them for their opinion on Reinhart? Weird.

chia was hired on april 24, 2015. On june 22, before the draft, he fired the scouts. He had 2 months to evaluate them and determined they were a big part of the problem. The Mcdavid pick was a no brainer but he did not trust them to pick anyone else.

He traded away a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for rienhart and tallon. In retrospect, it was fair value as he got a cornerstone goaltender. He got lucky in the late rounds with bear, jones, and paigan so that draft may end up being a good one.

IMO, the rienhart trade was done because of his mistrust of the scouting. He made a decision to trade those 2 picks for the best possible dman and followed through. I wish it would have been better but, even without mcdavid, that day was a 9/10

time for the haters to let it go

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Just wanted to remind some that Gaudreau held out into camp during his RFA negotiations, as did Kucherov. I know some have been using those contracts as comparisons to criticize Chia's handling of the Draisaitl situation.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Really happy with Chiarelli as GM so far.

In the space of two years he has consistently moved out potential and talent and has replaced it with performance and leadership. Thus, it has been difficult to agree with some of the moves before seeing the on ice product, but the on ice product has been impressive.

Our culture has changed and it was not overnight through McDavid (after all, we did draft 4th overall last year). It has been a very pragmatic and successful approach to rebuilding the roster.

I have great confidence moving forward.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
The last couple signings certainly gave more reason for the Pouliot signing.

To start, my guess is that Todd has told Peter that he just can't get Benoit to play the way he needs to play within the system.

Peter probably attempted to move Pouliot, but found no suitors at a reasonable price.

If the signings of JJ and Auvitu, we are up tight with contracts. We needed that extra contract space.

For those who went crazy complaining about the buyout at the time, Chiarelli should have proven to you by then that there is reason for his actions.

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I liked Peter Chiarelli from the start. Lowe and MacTavish were just awful, they would not try hard to fill holes in the roster and they would also overpay unproven players with huge contracts, another big reason why the Oilers rebuild took so long. Some luck has also been on Chiarelli side, getting number 1 pick McDavid, Draisaitl becoming a top 10 player, Maroon get career high in points, Talbot being a top starting goalie, Lucic agree to sign with the Oilers. Alot of good falling into his lap. Still I think he works hard on fixing any problems with the roster, and is smart and doesn't make rash moves and I think he will be a great GM for many years to come.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
4 points after 7 games, 2nd last in the conference, no scoring depth or lines that can generate anything offensively outside of the McDavid line, and good ol' 4x4 lying on the ice like an idiot for the last 3 goals against.

How anyone can think that Chiarelli can take this team to a championship is beyond me.

King1s

Jan 27, 2015
Edmonton
4 points after 7 games, 2nd last in the conference, no scoring depth or lines that can generate anything offensively outside of the McDavid line, and good ol' 4x4 lying on the ice like an idiot for the last 3 goals against.

How anyone can think that Chiarelli can take this team to a championship is beyond me.

He has his merits. Biggest of them is that he is not part of the OBC. Actually, other than that... he has been just bad.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
He has his merits. Biggest of them is that he is not part of the OBC. Actually, other than that... he has been just bad.
Is he honestly better than anyone from the OBC days? Without McDavid this team is bottom 5, just like they were when Lowe, Tambo, and MacT were GM.

King1s

Jan 27, 2015
Edmonton
Is he honestly better than anyone from the OBC days? Without McDavid this team is bottom 5, just like they were when Lowe, Tambo, and MacT were GM.

If you ask me, no. He got plenty of trade chips and awesome players (Drai,McDavid,Klefbom,Nurse,Hall,RNH) and I sincerely doubt that a well trained monkey would not have managed to make this team good.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
If this team loses a few more in a row he should be questioned.
He should have been questioned in the offseason when it was obvious this roster wasn't good enough but people were blinded by our first playoff run in 10 years and gave Chia all the credit for falling ass-backwards into the best player in the NHL.
If you ask me, no. He got plenty of trade chips and awesome players (Drai,McDavid,Klefbom,Nurse,Hall,RNH) and I sincerely doubt that a well trained monkey would not have managed to make this team good.
I'm amazed at how much worse he managed to make this team this summer. It takes skill to f*** up that badly.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Calling it now: RNH traded for [insert scrub here, most likely Islanders scrub]

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
This guy had great trading chips , and Draisaitl,McDavid, Nurse we're already in his lap. Oilers lose Eberle, Hall, Yakupov, Pitlick, etc, now RNH, he has yet to bring back anything that makes you go wow he fleeced the other guy. He's an average GM who doesn't know how to manage assets very well. He's a 3 year GM to me, anything longer then that and he starts to be a detriment

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
I appreciate that Chia is able to maintain this image he has around the league of being a winner and builder despite doing nothing of significance since 2011. It's truly a special quality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad