Rumor: Pesce to New Jersey

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Isn't Pesce like a shade of his former self?

There's a reason why the Canes haven't even engaged in contract talks, thats one contract that's gonna be high on the buyout list in 2 years
In my opinion yes... but it doesn't mean he isn't still an effective 2nd pairing stay at home guy. I think it's just a question for how long. Pesce is from Tarrytown, NY so Newark is definitely close to home.

I could see Canes being interested in Marino if NJ needed to make space. It would be kind of weird to have the Devils and Canes trade but maybe their dislike for the Rangers will bond them together :laugh:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Isn't Pesce like a shade of his former self?

There's a reason why the Canes haven't even engaged in contract talks, thats one contract that's gonna be high on the buyout list in 2 years

Yes, he's declined significantly, ice time also went down almost 2 minutes this season. I wouldn't be racing to sign him to anything crazy but i'm sure he'll get something insane like 7 years at 7M or something.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't know who Dan Powers is, so I don't know if this is credible or not, I only really trust the big boys, the Lebruns, Chris Johnston, Friedman, Dreger and when he's around Bobby Mack.

But if this is true this would be a HUGE get for NJ.

I wonder what the term is.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I don't know who Dan Powers is, so I don't know if this is credible or not, I only really trust the big boys, the Lebruns, Chris Johnston, Friedman, Dreger and when he's around Bobby Mack.

But if this is true this would be a HUGE get for NJ.

I wonder what the term is.

Friedman did do his friedman thing on 32T and said, "i think New Jersey is one of the teams in on Pesce" over the weekend.

Otherwise, I also have no idea who Powers is, but I do know who Civ is, so I'd just take her word on him being somewhat credible.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Agreed. Hughes and Nemec are only two D I'd want from NJ but neither of them are getting moved. Deal doesn't make sense with Necas and any of the other D.
Yeah I dont think we make great partners outside of the rights to Pesce - maybe Marino for .. not sure?

The Pesce stuff makes me wonder why we dont want Marino - maybe a more stable partner for Luke is the idea? About as best as I can come up with

MakoSlade

Nov 17, 2005
New York City
Yeah I dont think we make great partners outside of the rights to Pesce - maybe Marino for .. not sure?

The Pesce stuff makes me wonder why we dont want Marino - maybe a more stable partner for Luke is the idea? About as best as I can come up with

I lost faith in Marino when Cole Caufield outmuscled him for a lose puck to score a game winning goal. Marino closed out the season much better, but he was very lacking for many games.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Canes? Used to dream of Pesce on the Nucks but the fact the Canes seem to have soured on, the fact he's gonna get the usual RHD UFA overpay and the fact that Im not sure what made me think he was special. He's not Tanev defensively, nor is he particularly good offensively. Was he just a stud in my mind because every dman looks the part in the canes system and he was with Slavin?
I mean on the Nucks I once said about Chatfield that he was the worst dman we ever had and somehow the canes turned him into a good #5-6.

Not saying Pesce isnt a good player but it seems every other fanbase except the one who sees him regularly ordains him as some stud, premier top pairing g D.

Canes fan here. Hes still good and unless he has another injury should be pretty good for at least the first 2 or 3 years of the contract. The Canes will let him walk because years 3 and 4 are sketchy and all they years after that he is very likely to decline greatly. We will have to see what the contract actually looks like before wringing hands but I can't imagine it will age well.

Again the first few years should be ok, despite having already lost a step when he went down it cause a big hole for the Canes in the playoffs so he can still play right now anyway.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Seems like such a bizarre destination for Pesce, in the sense that they're already quite deep on RHD with more still on the way. Dougie-Marino-Nemec, with Hughes able to play either side, and Casey in the pipeline.

Would have to imagine this would be someone they'd acquire as a UFA, with the intention of moving either Hamilton (hello, Treliving on Line 1?) or Marino i guess. Marino is pretty cheap though...whereas Dougie would be a more comparable salary to what Pesce is probably going to get.

I can see Pesce being a great veteran "stay at home" partner for Hughes to grow with.

If Marino gets moved, i'd certainly want the Canucks to be interested. After failing to get it done last time he was moved to make space for a more expensive older D. $4.4M locked in for a few more years is great for a Top-4 RHD to help lock down a second pairing.

RANDOMH3RO

Jan 19, 2007
I have a feeling the devils will very active. Roster will have some notable change.

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
If this were to happen, and with the Keefe connection, I'd make a guess that a trade around Kämpf and Marino is just waiting to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad