Rumor: Pesce to New Jersey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Siegenthaler-Hamilton
Hughes-Pesce
Marino-Nemec
Macdermid

Thats good.

MacDermid is no longer a defenseman.

As for Pesce, that immediately makes him New Jersey's top defenseman. Hard to understand how they work things out contract-wise.

Dougie heading elsewhere?

Reactions: Daeavorn

megajake

Aug 24, 2009
That's likely 15 mill in cap to Pesce and Hamilton+ 16 mill (or more) to luke and nemec on their next contracts. Gets very very pricey very very quickly.

3 years of marino takes you much nicer into a Casey transition as well, with him playing LD for a bit, then taking over when either marino expires or you sell him as a rental down the line.
Don't think Casey is going to be a Devil for much longer. Seems like we should flip him for a forward prospect/young top 6 forward

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
the PP1 was awful after Hamilton went out. For a few month stretch, they were worst in the league or close to it.

anyways, I don't really care about the cap as much as some other people do. Hamilton is still a productive player and should have a role on this team at leas for the next few years.
The PP1 stalled when Jack Hughes got hurt. But the PP was 21% after hamilton got hurt and before jack got hurt (with nothing from PP2). Then after jack went down vs chicago it was 16.4% for the rest of the season.

The PP2 was ATROCIOUS.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
I don't really understand this contingent of the Devils fanbase that wants to trade Hamilton. You saw how putrid the PP was last year as soon as he got injured.

The PP was putrid with Hughes (who was already PP1 before Hamilton went down) but that’s clearly his long term role and the only way it gets less putrid is with experience. We have to go through the growing pains of the young guys making mistakes as they mature.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
The PP2 was putrid due to the lack of entry ability. Hamilton wouldn't really solve that, (unless you move 1 of Luke or Bratt to PP2).

The salary cap exists and aging exists. If you can sign a player, get the good years, and then ship him out for positive value before he starts to decline, that's a win.

Anyways unlikely hamilton could be moved until at least next offseason anyway when he goes to an M-NTC
I don’t think Hamilton should have been moved to PP2 for Luke to begin with. But I think we should go with 2 defenders for PP1 going forward with both Luke and Hamilton. Nemec anchoring PP2 with Bratt probably.

Reactions: QuizGuy66

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I don’t think Hamilton should have been moved to PP2 for Luke to begin with. But I think we should go with 2 defenders for PP1 going forward with both Luke and Hamilton. Nemec anchoring PP2 with Bratt probably.
I don't disagree.

But Luke is in that role and unlikely to be moved off it

I don't think moving off of hamilton, assuming it's for the right return, would be the worst idea.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
If true, New Jersey is doing what Carolina chose not to do: committing to Hamilton and Pesce. Whose pro scouting reigns supreme? We’ll get an answer to that question.
Canes? Used to dream of Pesce on the Nucks but the fact the Canes seem to have soured on, the fact he's gonna get the usual RHD UFA overpay and the fact that Im not sure what made me think he was special. He's not Tanev defensively, nor is he particularly good offensively. Was he just a stud in my mind because every dman looks the part in the canes system and he was with Slavin?
I mean on the Nucks I once said about Chatfield that he was the worst dman we ever had and somehow the canes turned him into a good #5-6.

Not saying Pesce isnt a good player but it seems every other fanbase except the one who sees him regularly ordains him as some stud, premier top pairing g D.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
It depends on what Pesce gets, but signing Pesce at already a position of strength signals this is a win now move. Moving Hamilton absolutely makes the team immediately worse. Down the line? Maybe it makes sense, but that doesn’t seem to be Fitz’s intention here.
Pesce+Colton vs Hamilton+Bastian for the same cap?

And you may even get enough extra assets to buy a nice little winger rental at the deadline

But I expect it to be Marino if anyone. Simply based on the NTCs

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Pesce+Colton vs Hamilton+Bastian for the same cap?

And you may even get enough extra assets to buy a nice little winger rental at the deadline

But I expect it to be Marino if anyone. Simply based on the NTCs

Even though Hamilton is currently well worth his contract, moving a 9mil aav with 4 years left is not easy without retention. There wouldn’t be many suitors to make it worth it.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I actually like Hamilton haha. I think he’s worth the contract and, besides the long term injury, has earned it.
I like him too.

Maybe I'm more pessimistic about aging curves than most.

Even though Hamilton is currently well worth his contract, moving a 9mil aav with 4 years left is not easy without retention. There wouldn’t be many suitors to make it worth it.
Oh for sure. I think for example if Utah wants to come swinging with their 2025 1st or a guy like Crouse, I'd do it.

But likely all moot, since hamilton has a full NMC.

What I expect and what I'd wish for are different things.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
Nobody is taking Hamilton's contract. It's soon to be a 4/36 full NMC contract. He's worth it right now but won't be soon.

Assuming Pesce is headed to NJ, Marino+ for McGroarty is the prayer. Not sure how much of a '+' there needs to be, but a pretty good amount if I'm betting.

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
I’m not hating on Pesce, but I’d rather see the Devils trade for Brayden McNabb and keep Marino.

Siegenthaler - Hamilton
Hughes - Marino
McNabb - Nemec

Allocate the money to getting nastier on the forward core.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Maybe I'm more pessimistic about aging curves than most.

To me, I’ve always thought Hamilton’s game might age relatively well because what’s the #1 thing that goes with age?: foot speed. And Hamilton already has basically none of that. His game is based on his smarts and knowing when to pick his spots and join the rush and his rocket of a shot. That could be me being optimistic though.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
To me, I’ve always thought Hamilton’s game might age relatively well because what’s the #1 thing that goes with age?: foot speed. And Hamilton already has basically none of that. His game is based on his smarts and knowing when to pick his spots and join the rush and his rocket of a shot. That could be me being optimistic though.
I don't disagree.

But if I can, I'd always rather get out ahead of the aging curve.

Sign a UFA for free, get a norris caliber season, then trade him for quality value right as he enters his 30s. Asset management baby.

But it all depends on what the alternatives are.

How much does hamilton fetch in a trade?
How much does Marino fetch in a trade?
How much money does Pesce cost?

All variables that would change which 2 I would prefer.

Marino has been an excellent playoff performer which matters to me. 58.7% xGoals share in his last 3 playoff runs. Playing the tough minutes he does that is incredible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad