Perron suspended 6 games for crosscheck to the face on Zub - Mod warning Post #590

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
It’s either a punching or slamming motion unless you don’t think he should have been penalized at all.
It's a push to clear a player from a loose puck. Did he get high with his push? Yes, he did. He was given a 5-minute major, then the refs and league reviewed it for 10 minutes if he punched him in the head, leading to his being knocked unconscious. Do you not think they would have stood by the 5-minute major call?

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Perron should get 3 games in my opinion. I understand WHY he did it from an emotional standpoint, but there's still no place for it in hockey and he doesn't exactly have a clean track record.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
It's a push to clear a player from a loose puck. Did he get high with his push? Yes, he did. He was given a 5-minute major, then the refs and league reviewed it for 10 minutes if they deemed he punched him in the head, leading to his being knocked unconscious. Do you not think they would have stood by the 5-minute major call?
I’m talking about a two minute roughing penalty which is described as a punching or slamming motion per the rule book.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Huh, I thought this was the How many games will Perron get for this crosscheck to the face on Zub? thread, not the Debating how many Newtons quantify a moving fist as a punch thread.

If you wanna debate that, then start a thread and gather the necessary empirical data by standing in front of a mirror and repeatedly punching yourself in the face.

Perron gets 7 games. The NHL has to crack down on plays like that and Perron has a history of cheap shots.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I’m talking about a two minute roughing penalty which is described as a punching or slamming motion per the rule book.
Well, does the NHL have a pushing penalty? I don't know the rule book, but I imagine this is the closest they could get to 2 minutes for pushing. All I am saying is that it was an accident trying to clear a player in front of the net in a scramble for a loose puck. Did Joseph get up high? Yes, no doubt, but I am 99.99999999% certain the intent was not to target Larkin's head and injure him.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I don't know what you're watching, but Joseph didn't even touch Larkin's chest. Look at the still frames above:

- Left hand glove in the face
- Right hand glove and stick on the back of the head.

That's not making a hockey play. That's not "pushing." That's trying to mug someone because they have a history. Joseph boarded Larkin last preseason after he'd gotten over the Jamie Benn Experience, which is why he launched a haymaker at Joseph's face. Is that acceptable? Absolutely not. In fact, it garnered a suspension. Since then, Larkin and Joseph have always gone after each other, and Joseph went too far this time.

You don't have to say someone's a "big baby" or "a p***y" or whatever. Admit that Joseph attempted to injure Larkin, because he did. Just like Larkin attempted to injure Joseph with the old "Wings of an Eagle" move.

I will say that Joseph was immediately calling over training staff after it happened, so good on him. He still knows he attempted to injure and got away with it,

I’m clearly talking about Joseph loading up for a push by bring his hands to his chest and extending. Never said he caught Larkin in the chest. He partially missed and got him high and was penalized for it. It’s a big leap to say that was intentional, especially when there’s a play for the puck being made in front of the net. Accidents happen on the ice, sometimes players miscalculate and miss their mark. Cal clutterbuck hit Brannstrom and took his legs out and it resulted in Brannstrom convulsing on the ice after he hit his head. It wasn’t intentional he just caught a little too far in front on the hit and the result was horrible.

Reactions: Bileur

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I’m clearly talking about Joseph loading up for a push by bring his hands to his chest and extending. Never said he caught Larkin in the chest. He partially missed and got him high and was penalized for it. It’s a big leap to say that was intentional. Accidents happen on the ice, sometimes players miscalculate and miss their mark. Cal clutterbuck hit Brannstrom and took his legs out and it resulted in Brannstrom convulsing on the ice after he hit his head. It wasn’t intentional he just caught a little too far in front on the hit and the result was horrible.
Ya, how come we didn't start a thread on the mainboard promoting injury and retaliation the next time we played the Islanders? Ottawa is truly no hockey town.

Score08

Apr 6, 2017
Yes, a big baby lying prone on the ice where someone could have easily stepped on him.

Can't take a punch? Honestly, how many gloved punches/crosschecks to the back of the head have you taken?

I'm going to go ahead and guess "Zero," and that your bravado simply comes from living vicariously through other people, as well as being anonymous on the Internet.

Go stock a shelf at whatever grocery store is near you.

You should probably get some glasses.

Let me come "touch your shoulder" like that, see if you're okay with it.
Settle down, I’m just commenting on what it looked like watching it on tv in relation to the overall toughness of the average NHLer . My experience with taking a punch has nothing to do with this at all. trouba 2 hand chopped Trent Fredric’s head with his stick and he didn’t hit the ice like he was shot. Looked weak on larkins part, that’s all.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
It’s either a punching or slamming motion unless you don’t think he should have been penalized at all.

I think we’re getting into the weeds of semantics and starting to miss the forest for the trees here.

You can call it a shove instead of a push if you prefer. « Slam » is a broad enough term to cover a lot of things, including pushes and shoves IMO.

The point in the context of this discussion is that a push or shove in a net front battle is a normal part of hockey which happens dozens of times a game.

A sucker punch is certainly always above and beyond.

Joseph didn’t deliver a punch, it was definitely more of a shove/push/slam. Roughing penalty is fine given the result but this wasn’t some premeditated attack or attempt to injure.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Perron should get 3 games in my opinion. I understand WHY he did it from an emotional standpoint, but there's still no place for it in hockey and he doesn't exactly have a clean track record.
Well, seeing as he faces a minimum of five games, it will be hard to give him a three-game suspension.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Well, seeing as he faces a minimum of five games, it will be hard to give him a three-game suspension.

In person hearing doesn’t necessarily mean minimum of 5 games. Just means it can be more, they have gotten less before. Will be hard for Perron to defend his actions though.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
In person hearing doesn’t necessarily mean minimum of 5 games. Just means it can be more, they have gotten less before. Will be hard for Perron to defend his actions though.
Literally on the front page of my Yahoo Sports app, it said he faces a minimum of five games, so my bad.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Well, does the NHL have a pushing penalty? I don't know the rule book, but I imagine this is the closest they could get to 2 minutes for pushing. All I am saying is that it was an accident trying to clear a player in front of the net in a scramble for a loose puck. Did Joseph get up high? Yes, no doubt, but I am 99.99999999% certain the intent was not to target Larkin's head and injure him.
And I am saying he forcefully threw his hands up high at Larkin which caused him to be put in a bad spot which would have likely not happened if he aimed center mass. I call it reckless, not intentional.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
And I am saying he forcefully threw his hands up high at Larkin which caused him to be put in a bad spot which would have likely not happened if he aimed center mass. I call it reckless, not intentional.
Ok, I can live with that. It seems completely reasonable. I believe that in the spur of the moment, you're just fighting for position and for a loose puck, and this unfortunately resulted in an injury no one wanted to see.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
As an impartial fan who came here to see if there was any update on the Perron suspension, I am astonished to come in here and see the amount of Red Wing fans who honestly think Joseph did anything wrong here. Am I taking crazy pills? The only dirtbag in this entire situation was Perron

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Speaking of the whole ordeal, two wrongs don't make a right. There is a right way to do things and a wrong way to do things. What Perron did was absolutely the wrong thing to did and what it even worse is he did it to a player that was not involved in the play.

Stick up for your teammate sure, but don't just go bashing peoples faces in with a stick. All that does is put your team at a disadvantage. Wings probably won't miss Perron though.

Reactions: Relapsing

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
My understanding is in person does not = Min of 5 games but that they can Exceed 5..
My yahoo app had an article from the Detroit free press with the title "Perron faces a minimum of five game suspension" on the front page I was just quoting my Yahoo app, so my bad if that's not the case.

Reactions: Korpse and Tryamw

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Ok, I can live with that. It seems completely reasonable. I believe that in the spur of the moment, you're just fighting for position and for a loose puck, and this unfortunately resulted in an injury no one wanted to see.
And for the record, I don't think Joseph should be suspended by the current standard of the rules. I would just like the NHL to establish a standard that does a better job actually punishing blows to the head overall, where something like the Joseph rough would be looked at with more scrutiny while more malicious infractions would actually see consistent double-digit suspensions.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
And for the record, I don't think Joseph should be suspended by the current standard of the rules. I would just like the NHL to establish a standard that does a better job actually punishing blows to the head overall, where something like the Joseph rough would be looked at with more scrutiny while more malicious infractions would actually see consistent double-digit suspensions.
I have no problems with your take and if the NHL wanted to set a new standard with this play and call it harsher from here on out when someone gets up in the head area, I am fine with that. I don't like seeing anyone get injured.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I don't claim the thoughts of other Wings fans.

As I said I was making a shitty point to show his was dumb.

I've said Perron had the most egregious act and deserves games, I've said they got it right with the penalties, actually I said that they probably should've went 5 and misconduct for Perron and 2 for Roughing on Joseph and nothing else because Kelly really didn't do anything to warrant a penalty. I think if the Refs did that the LCA would've been incredulous and gone apeshit. Not going to find a less emotional take than mine from the Wings board.
Hey, I don't know. When I said Joseph pushed Larkin, I was told I was tough, hiding behind the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad