Roster Moves: Per Agent, Mason Likely Moving on From Flyers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I like Lyon, but that's a very clever idea. Depending on what happens in the ED, Vegas could really use a waiver-exempt goalie prospect like him.

I like Lyon too, but with Stolarz and if we added Grubs, there is no room for him anyways so will have to be traded at some point. And he likely won't fetch much to teams that already have AHL goalies in place.

For Vegas, they could grab MAF and Rantaa. Then sign Rantaa as their long term goalie, say 3-4 years like Darling was signed for. Then Lyon is prepped to be MAF's replacement on the roster in 2 years asbacking up.

And whoever they draft this year, is hopefully Rantaa's replacement in 4-5 years.

As I said, he fits really good to their timeline and gives them a good start to the goalie pipeline.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That's a really good idea we have forward prospects that may interest them as well Lyon, cousins/leier/ Laughton/ mid round draft pick some combination of those should pry a goalie from lv.

The thing with them, is that they have to play in the NHL. I am fine with that though.

I just think them being able to add waiver exempt prospects will really be an asset. They are going to have injuries. Every team does. So having guys who can come up without having to worry about losing them would be of very good value to Vegas because they have yet to build up that pipeline.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
Interesting that lv has to choose 3 goalies but could choose more depending on who is available to them. They could choose 4 or 5 and flip a couple for assets.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Interesting that lv has to choose 3 goalies but could choose more depending on who is available to them. They could choose 4 or 5 and flip a couple for assets.

They can....and likely will. But they also don't want to be stuck with any extra either. I think they only pick extra goalies is if they already have a pre-arranged deal to flip them.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Had some good moments with Philly, we probably beat the Rangers in 14 if he's healthy.

I'm ok with moving on from Mase too.

Wishing him good luck, seemed like an ok dude

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
It was just one game, but it's hard for me to shake the memory of how bad Lyon looked in Game 2 of the playoffs against Hershey.

Evergreen

I think Hextall just wants to evaluate his options and see what happens in the expansion draft before committing to Mason. Why commit to Mason before you know whether LV takes one of our goalies or whether we can work out a trade with someone--perhaps Arizona--for a guy like Smith that could involve us sending salary (e.g., Read) the other way?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think Hextall just wants to evaluate his options and see what happens in the expansion draft before committing to Mason. Why commit to Mason before you know whether LV takes one of our goalies or whether we can work out a trade with someone--perhaps Arizona--for a guy like Smith that could involve us sending salary (e.g., Read) the other way?

It's been made pretty clear that they never believed in Mason, even when he was playing well to get into the playoff last year. Both sides are clearly moving on.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I was against it earlier but I am starting to think Maybe Varlamov is the best potential option out there for the Flyers. He certainly has the highest upside.

As much as someone like Grubauer or Pickard is appealing I really get the sense that Hextall prefers more of a veteran "stop gap" option. If that is the case that leaves the following options (as well as any UFA goalies this summer which they could sign short term):

MAF - 2 years remaining at 5.75 million then a UFA
Semyon Varlamov - 2 years remaining at 5.9 million then a UFA
Mike Smith - 2 years remaining at 5.667 million then a UFA
Jimmy Howard - 2 years remaining at 5.292 million then a UFA
Jaroslav Halak - 1 year remaining at 4.5 million and then a UFA

Like I said last night, total gut feeling, but I just think it's going to end up being Mike Smith and I would not be happy with that at all.

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
Meh. Mason had some great stretches but was inconsistant. Had a knack for letting in soft goals but could make an incredible save right after.

He's the best goalie on the market but it just seems like he's pissed the way Hextall has been handling the negotiation.

After his comments at the end of the year about needing a clear defined number 1, Pittsburgh goes and wins another cup using Fleury and Murray.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Mason is obviously more concerned with Mason than the team and that is why he won't be back. It's one thing to be a competitor and want to play but his comments at the end of the season made everything about himself. It's one thing if you are a great player but Mason isn't, and quite honestly he has been pretty bad for the most part going back to the playoffs in 2015. Hextall wants no parts of a guy with a me first attitude like that who also wants to get paid and get a long term deal.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Bernier was on the Kings during Hextalls run i believe. He always had starter potential, maybe Hextall will pick him up as a potential reclamation project.

Like Bernie said on page 1, if/(with our luck)when they start failing, we can get Stolie/Lyon in there.

Honestly, goaltending is the biggest question mark for this year and, imo, the biggest determining factor in how well we'll do.

2 years ago, we made the playoffs on the back of a 1a 1b goalie tandem, last year we missed with two barely starter level goaltending.

Hextall knows the value of goaltending more than anyone, I've gotta think he has a plan

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't think anyone here predicted Mason/Neuvirth would drop from .920 to .905, so I'm just going to discount any posts in the next few months that say whatever goalie we sign will definitely be good or definitely be bad.

We won't know for sure how good they will be till the season is at least a few months old, so let's not pretend. This level of volatility is how it is for all but the very best goalies.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
First time I agreed with you ever. Other than a handful of elite guys goalies can be very unpredictable and up and down from year to year. Hell, a team can squeak into the playoffs and a goalie who has had a down year can get hot and lead his team on a great playoff run. Look at what Craig Anderson did for Ottawa this spring. He is far from an elite goalie.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't think anyone here predicted Mason/Neuvirth would drop from .920 to .905, so I'm just going to discount any posts in the next few months that say whatever goalie we sign will definitely be good or definitely be bad.

We won't know for sure how good they will be till the season is at least a few months old, so let's not pretend. This level of volatility is how it is for all but the very best goalies.

:nod:

You'd think people would be a bit more cautious of making definite judgements, based on a goalies past performances, when you consider Mason went from one of the worst goalies in the league pre-trade, to the point that he almost retired, to what he was while here.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
:nod:

You'd think people would be a bit more cautious of making definite judgements, based on a goalies past performances, when you consider Mason went from one of the worst goalies in the league pre-trade, to the point that he almost retired, to what he was while here.
Yep. Regardless of who we get, I will give them a fair chance. You never know if the change of scenery is something that may change them from the goalie we think they are.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
I know what u mean I have watched Lyon look really good and have really bad games.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Which is why I simply can't get excited by the goalie situation.

Our goalies put up .905 last year, which is close to bottom five, so they're unlikely to be worse whomever we put out there.

But we still had a shot at the playoffs, had we started the season with Weal and Filpulla I think we make the playoffs, now we're adding a lot more talent this season.

Build the team, line up the goalie prospects, and wait for lightning to strike. You can't trade for an elite goalie (b/c no team is giving him up unless they have reason to doubt he'll continue at that level) and the rest are gambles year to year. So you have to develop your own for the long haul. In between, just hope one gets hot at the right time.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Which is why I simply can't get excited by the goalie situation.

Our goalies put up .905 last year, which is close to bottom five, so they're unlikely to be worse whomever we put out there.

But we still had a shot at the playoffs, had we started the season with Weal and Filpulla I think we make the playoffs, now we're adding a lot more talent this season.

Build the team, line up the goalie prospects, and wait for lightning to strike. You can't trade for an elite goalie (b/c no team is giving him up unless they have reason to doubt he'll continue at that level) and the rest are gambles year to year. So you have to develop your own for the long haul. In between, just hope one gets hot at the right time.
True, very true.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
So long, Mase. Thanks for being the best Flyer's goaltender I've seen in my lifetime (but cept for Nitty when we played the RIP Thrashers)

Have a feeling the replacement will be Bernier, Howard or Smith

requiredusername

Apr 9, 2015
I don't know. I believe this is the first season in our rebuild where we really need to see some progress.

Get the guys in a winning environment and make steady progress in every area of the game. Otherwise I can see some core guys being dealt.

This is why there better is a back-up plan.

Not to nitpick, but that year he tied for 16th with Quick and Dubnyk. He was also, I believe, 2nd in ES SV% behind only Price. It was our PK that killed his numbers.

And for more info, he was 14th and 4th the other 2 years here.

I have no issue saying his years were inconsistent. I just think it's unfair to paint him as this diva like some have done when they ignore that a goalie coach was willing to lose his job over the mis-treatment of Mason. And as I said, that DID NOT even include this:

He also said he was experiencing headaches until the night before Game 4, according to the Philadelphia Daily News, meaning his relief appearance in Game 3 came while he was still experiencing concussion-like symptoms.

But hey, it's Philly. Another summer, another goalie controversy.

Let's move on from the goalie coach thing. The whole goalie coach thing shows the fragility of Mason's mental state.

One drama bomb after another with Mason.

Last year Mason was 22nd in ES sv %, 29th in PP sv%, and 22nd in PK sv%.

The guy is just not a good goaltender.

Last edited:

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Let's move on from the goalie coach thing. The whole goalie coach thing shows the fragility of Mason's mental state.

One drama bomb after another with Mason.

Last year Mason was 22nd in ES sv %, 29th in PP sv%, and 22nd in PK sv%.

The guy is just not a good goaltender.

He's a decent goalie who some have romaticized into being something he is not, all while ignoring the constant drama and BS that seems to follow him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad