Roster Moves: Per Agent, Mason Likely Moving on From Flyers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Let's wait and see who the next goalie is before making proclamations like that. Otherwise you need one of these:

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

I'd say the same about you and you proclaiming that Mason has a terrible, entitled attitude.

You've probably taken random comments and interpreted them as entitled because you just don't like him man. Mason's been fine.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
No, you're right about the things people are saying. I just don't find the criticism of him that far off-base and ultimately don't think he is worth the hand-wringing. I have a lower opinion of him than you and many others on here and there's every chance that your opinion of him is closer to the truth of it than mine - I don't know. I just don't see him as the answer, so I don't care whether he comes back or not. And I think at the end of the day, regardless of who is at fault (and blame here doesn't matter to me at all - I'm not looking to apportion it because I don't think we know enough to do that) or even how good he really is, the team could use a change back there. But like I said, it's just how I feel about him.

And I appreciate your fair perspective. Thank you! :)

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Maybe Hextall makes a play for Marc-Andre Fleury?

he isnt well liked around here, but he is a better goalie than a lot of goalies on the market. I am on the fence with MAF. Not really sure how I would feel about it.
But at the end of the day do we know if the Flyers are on his 18 team no trade list? would he even come here anyway with the history and everything between Philly and Pittsburgh. I dont know.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I am hoping Hextall has already lined up what it will cost to trade for one of the extra "younger" goalies McPhee claims. I don't want Fleury.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Meh. Just roll with Neuvirth and Stolarz next year. And if we crash and burn oh well, maybe we can get lucky in the draft lottery again next year. :sarcasm:

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Meh. Just roll with Neuvirth and Stolarz next year. And if we crash and burn oh well, maybe we can get lucky in the draft lottery again next year. :sarcasm:

I don't know. I believe this is the first season in our rebuild where we really need to see some progress.

Get the guys in a winning environment and make steady progress in every area of the game. Otherwise I can see some core guys being dealt.

This is why there better is a back-up plan.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Mason was just wildly inconsistent. His headline stats looked good but if you compare him to other goaltenders with 40+ starts he was near the bottom.

His .908 sv% looked great but he was 27th out of 32 goaltenders with 40 or more starts. Not good.

15-16 the .918 sv% was 18th out of 29 goalies with 40+ starts.

Here were the monthly sv % numbers from last season. .878 (8 starts), .914, .911, .883, .952 (2starts), .920, .939 (2 starts)

It is all about context.

I am glad he is gone. Mason was never a great goaltender.

Let's be honest, we are getting a stopgap for 3 years or less. Probably less like one of the Stars goaltenders.

Hextall is building for the future and the future means Hart/Sandstom/Marek. Whoever we get is just keeping he seat warm.

Not to nitpick, but that year he tied for 16th with Quick and Dubnyk. He was also, I believe, 2nd in ES SV% behind only Price. It was our PK that killed his numbers.

And for more info, he was 14th and 4th the other 2 years here.

I have no issue saying his years were inconsistent. I just think it's unfair to paint him as this diva like some have done when they ignore that a goalie coach was willing to lose his job over the mis-treatment of Mason. And as I said, that DID NOT even include this:

He also said he was experiencing headaches until the night before Game 4, according to the Philadelphia Daily News, meaning his relief appearance in Game 3 came while he was still experiencing concussion-like symptoms.

But hey, it's Philly. Another summer, another goalie controversy.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I am hoping Hextall can grab Grubauer.

To everyone, what are we willing to pay in a trade for a goalie?

We know who is available thru UFA. Those are all for free. So for say Grubs, Rantaa, any other G, what are you willing to pay for that guy?

Hopefully we can package an extra forward with a pick for one....like Cousins and a 3rd? I just hope we don't waste a 2nd on one.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia

We know who is available thru UFA. Those are all for free. So for say Grubs, Rantaa, any other G, what are you willing to pay for that guy?

Hopefully we can package an extra forward with a pick for one....like Cousins and a 3rd? I just hope we don't waste a 2nd on one.

Pretty much what you were willing to give up. We have three fourth rounders too. Maybe try to use that as well. Goalie are notorious for not really having great trade value.

Maybe vegas ends up with Raanta, Flower and Grubs and the Flyers make a move for one after the draft.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia

Grubs would be unproteccted so they would lose him for nothing so Laughton?

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
Pretty much what you were willing to give up. We have three fourth rounders too. Maybe try to use that as well. Goalie are notorious for not really having great trade value.

Maybe vegas ends up with Raanta, Flower and Grubs and the Flyers make a move for one after the draft.

Draft picks should do it too!

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
I like Mason, but want to wait before I pass judgment on the situation. I'm just hoping the Bernier/Neuvirth predictions are wrong.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
Are 1 of the Dallas goalies being bought out ? any interest in 1 of them if they are?

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
Flyers aren't gifting him anything , but he was pretty clear he didn't want to be a tandem and wanted to be the undisputed starter. Well good luck to him as Flames prob offer that as his only chance.

And no one is saying Neuvy is better than Mase, Neuvy was the one who's years and pay fits into Hexys vision.

I agree with you there but as much as Mason struggled last year he certainly should've been the starter at times and wasn't. Seems like politics played more of a part there than anything.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He may very well of been asking for too much from us. He will most certainly be getting a pay cut when he signs elsewhere, but that doesn't mean jack **** with what his demands here were.

That's what happened with Marty Biron.

There's a clear disconnect between Mason and Hextall on usage if you listen to their post-season press conferences, so it's likely there's also a disconnect on what kind of contract he's worth.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Are 1 of the Dallas goalies being bought out ? any interest in 1 of them if they are?

He'll no. They are both awful.

To me, Vegas is is going to want to be building a pipeline of prospects/picks. Makes sense.

So how about Hextall gets creative and helps them. Say Vegas gets Grubauer. We could trade a 3rd(80) + Lyon. For Vegas, it gives them a pick but then with Lyon, it gives them a 2 year waiver exempt guy who can play in the AHL and hopefully develop to a NHL goalie.

Whatever goalie they draft, is going to be 4-6 years away. Lyon bridges that gap. It also gives them a guy to callup if a goalie gets injured without having to worry about losing him. That has good value.

Then we just let Stolie get most of the starts in the AHL prepping him for the NHL in 2018. We could see if Madsen wants to leave college to join LV, or if not, just sign a cheap, 1 year AHL goalie.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I like Lyon, but that's a very clever idea. Depending on what happens in the ED, Vegas could really use a waiver-exempt goalie prospect like him.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
He'll no. They are both awful.

To me, Vegas is is going to want to be building a pipeline of prospects/picks. Makes sense.

So how about Hextall gets creative and helps them. Say Vegas gets Grubauer. We could trade a 3rd(80) + Lyon. For Vegas, it gives them a pick but then with Lyon, it gives them a 2 year waiver exempt guy who can play in the AHL and hopefully develop to a NHL goalie.

Whatever goalie they draft, is going to be 4-6 years away. Lyon bridges that gap. It also gives them a guy to callup if a goalie gets injured without having to worry about losing him. That has good value.

Then we just let Stolie get most of the starts in the AHL prepping him for the NHL in 2018. We could see if Madsen wants to leave college to join LV, or if not, just sign a cheap, 1 year AHL goalie.

That's a really good idea we have forward prospects that may interest them as well Lyon, cousins/leier/ Laughton/ mid round draft pick some combination of those should pry a goalie from lv.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad