Roster Moves: Per Agent, Mason Likely Moving on From Flyers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Well like whats been said more than a few times. We don't know all the details on why Mason is likely not back. W

Agreed.

Listen, if he wanted 4+ years at 5 Mill a year, then I understand why it would be touch and go. But from what we know, Hextall didn't even talk to Mason (and if he did, it was basically a "what's up?" phone call).

I just always believed Mason deserved more than that.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
It'd be one thing if it was just last season, but his playoff performance the year before was demoralizing.
Flyers played their heart out for Ed Snider and their own goalie turns out to be their biggest opponent...

The playoff performance where he gave up roughly 3 Even Strength goals against the #1 Washington Capitals?

Next you're going to tell me Mason is responsible for Snider's death.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Because it's so much easier to join the mob.
He had one great series and one terrible series. That's basically Mason in a nutshell. He's either playing like one of the best goalies in the league or like one of the worst. No inbetween. You don't win a lot with goaltenders like that.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Agreed.

Listen, if he wanted 4+ years at 5 Mill a year, then I understand why it would be touch and go. But from what we know, Hextall didn't even talk to Mason (and if he did, it was basically a "what's up?" phone call).

I just always believed Mason deserved more than that.

well that's what Mason's agent said. do contract negotiations start with 4 or 5 years and not a year under? Hard to say because we have only heard one side to this story.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
He had one great series and one terrible series. That's basically Mason in a nutshell. He's either playing like one of the best goalies in the league or like one of the worst. No inbetween. You don't win a lot with goaltenders like that.

And with what defense did he have to support him in those series?

We won with Michael.****ing. Leighton. I don't want to hear we can't win with Mason.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It'd be one thing if it was just last season, but his playoff performance the year before was demoralizing.
Flyers played their heart out for Ed Snider and their own goalie turns out to be their biggest opponent...

If that's what they call playing their heart out they should be pretty embarrassed too. As they scored 6 goals in 6 games that series with one of them being an empty netter. Mason wasn't good & let up a really bad goal but let's put other things in perspective here too. In an elimination game five Neuvirth had to stay perfect while facing 44 shots. Meanwhile the Flyers gave Holtby 10 shots at the other end which they were forunate enough to get a garbage goal by White on one of them.

Ultimately they were outclassed by the Caps that series which isn't surprising looking at the two rosters then. Even as well as Neuvirth came in as relief it's not realistic to expect a goalie to carry that level of play with that thin of margin in a 7 game series.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

They don't see the playoffs without Mason also playing his heart out.

Christ, now we're trying to blame him for disappointing Ed's ghost?

It's gonna be really disappointing when the Jeff Carter Syndrome half the fanbase has for Couturier leads to him being treated this irrationally.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Oh are we pretending that the Caps series was the goalies fault?

The same series where they couldn't score any goals?

Im not as big of a fan of Mason as most of this board, but for ****s sake....

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Haven't seen it stated that this defense was absolutely pathetic and hemorrhaged odd-man rushes with the worst of them this past year. Doesn't matter who's in net, if the breakaways and 2-on-1s keep up any goalie we dress is gonna get annihilated. Can't even count the amount of times this occurred multiple times within the first few shifts of the game.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Oh are we pretending that the Caps series was the goalies fault?

The same series where they couldn't score any goals?

Im not as big of a fan of Mason as most of this board, but for ****s sake....

The margin of era for both goalies was essentially one goal that series. If it was like a shoot out I'd buy more into just blaming the series on a goalie.

Game 1:
http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/ppoboxscore.cgi?20160131

Game 2:
http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/ppoboxscore.cgi?20160132

Game 3:
http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/ppoboxscore.cgi?20160133

Game 4:
http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/ppoboxscore.cgi?20160134

Game 5:
http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/ppoboxscore.cgi?20160135

Game 6:
http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/ppoboxscore.cgi?20160136

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Haven't seen it stated that this defense was absolutely pathetic and hemorrhaged odd-man rushes with the worst of them this past year. Doesn't matter who's in net, if the breakaways and 2-on-1s keep up any goalie we dress is gonna get annihilated. Can't even count the amount of times this occurred multiple times within the first few shifts of the game.

Brandon. ****ing. Manning.

I swear there were games where Ghost saw an odd man against every other shift because Manning was playing like a low-quality 4th forward. Plus, every time he leapt into the play it meant Ghost would be less involved offensively since he's got to be the guy back.

Otherwise it was the MacDonald patented blocked shot/failed keep-ins.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Good. Honestly they gave him more than enough chances to be the guy. I got tired of his whiny attitude when things didn't go well.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
2-3 years is what I would offer. 4.5a year. He probably wanted 5-6 years deal. No thanks,

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
What I like least about this situation is that Hextall seems to be on the same page as Hakstol on his questionable handling of the goalies. Not a good sign. It could turn out OK, but I can't say I'm confident the Flyers won't end up with the short end of the stick after the offseason's goalie shuffle. If Mason was really this impatient about getting a long term offer, they may have had no choice but to roll the dice on someone like Bernier, though,

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Yeah, and the two playoff appearances in four seasons with Steve Mason as the starter which resulted in two first round exits have worked out so well too :shakehead

You don't care to look at context, do you?

Do you know many ES goals he let in last playoff series? Do you remember how many goals Philly scored total?

Do you remember Mason CARRYING that Flyers team into the playoffs?

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You don't care to look at context, do you?

Do you know many ES goals he let in last playoff series? Do you remember how many goals Philly scored total?

Do you remember Mason CARRYING that Flyers team into the playoffs on his own?

Ghost and Giroux were just as big down the stretch.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Ghost and Giroux were just as big down the stretch.

Actually yes, I'll give credit to Ghost on that. G was alright, sure.

But you get my point. Mason was a beast (as an example).

He was also very good in the previous playoff series against NYR until he was hurt.

Again, the legend of Mason the soft-minded playoff disappointment lives on in this thread. It's just silly.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Actually yes, I'll give credit to Ghost on that. G was alright, sure.

But you get my point. Mason was a beast (as an example).

He was also very good in the previous playoff series against NYR until he was hurt.

Again, the legend of Mason the soft-minded playoff disappointment lives on in this thread. It's just silly.

As with quite a few topics on here, I seem to be right in the middle. I don't like Mason as much as some seem to, he just isn't a likable person in my opinion, but I also don't know where the hell half of the negative stuff being said about him is coming from.

In both playoff series the Flyers couldn't score to save their lives and he wasn't the reason for either series loss. Blaming him for the teams playoff failures since he got here is just lazy complaining. I don't know what the point of saying stuff like that is... anyone who watched knows it simply isn't true so who are they trying to fool?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad