Roster Moves: Per Agent, Mason Likely Moving on From Flyers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
As with quite a few topics on here, I seem to be right in the middle. I don't like Mason as much as some seem to, he just isn't a likable person in my opinion, but I also don't know where the hell half of the negative stuff being said about him is coming from.

In both playoff series the Flyers couldn't score to save their lives and he wasn't the reason for either series loss. Blaming him for the teams playoff failures since he got here is just lazy complaining. I don't know what the point of saying stuff like that is... anyone who watched knows it simply isn't true so who are they trying to fool?

Only thing we know now is that the goaltending will be worse this year than in the Mason years.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Only thing we know now is that the goaltending will be worse this year than in the Mason years.

We will have to see. If Mason was the best thing we have had it goes to show you how poor the franchises goaltending has been for the past 25 years.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
Mason got such a raw deal. From everyone.

Best goalie we've had in almost two decades. Nope, no one cares. Apparently he's trash and a cancer.

Someone owns a #35 jersey.... he is an average NHL goalie. But he is still the Flyers best option which is a big reason why they haven't been a contender in the last 5-6 years. For some reason; I still think he will end up in Philly. One of those reasons being that the market for him as a starting goalie is small and Philly might be the only place that still considers him a starter. Hextall is smart to wait him out...he does not deserve a long term deal. Hopefully this is the one time where he doesn't give one away.... but after Weise, Raffl, PEB deals...who knows?

Flyers1987

Apr 23, 2017
If Flyers go the the UFA route on a goalie, I can see Peter Budaj being a goalie the Flyers sign.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
As with quite a few topics on here, I seem to be right in the middle. I don't like Mason as much as some seem to, he just isn't a likable person in my opinion, but I also don't know where the hell half of the negative stuff being said about him is coming from.

In both playoff series the Flyers couldn't score to save their lives and he wasn't the reason for either series loss. Blaming him for the teams playoff failures since he got here is just lazy complaining. I don't know what the point of saying stuff like that is... anyone who watched knows it simply isn't true so who are they trying to fool?

Wow.......:shakehead

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Someone owns a #35 jersey.... he is an average NHL goalie. But he is still the Flyers best option which is a big reason why they haven't been a contender in the last 5-6 years. For some reason; I still think he will end up in Philly. One of those reasons being that the market for him as a starting goalie is small and Philly might be the only place that still considers him a starter. Hextall is smart to wait him out...he does not deserve a long term deal. Hopefully this is the one time where he doesn't give one away.... but after Weise, Raffl, PEB deals...who knows?

Yeah, I'm sure Mason is the reason why we haven't been a contender in 5-6 years. Not our AHL defense (apparently that isn't significant). It's Mason's fault alone for not being a contender..

And to top it off, Mason isn't a starter in your eyes it seems.

It just gets worse and worse here

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Whose to say some of these people even watched the playoff series'? :laugh:

Mason was UNREAL in the 2014 Playoffs. Fans were regularly chanting his name. Had he not missed the first few games, we win that series.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

I see no reason to think, let alone know, that next season's goaltending will be worse than the Flyers' goaltending in Mason's last season.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
Mason was awesome against the Rangers. He almost stole it for us. However, a lot of goalies catch fire for a series or two so this, in my opinion, isn't alone a reason to keep him.

I would have liked to keep him based on his above average overall quality of work for the Flyers, and the dearth of other options. I am hoping Hexy has something up his sleeve. This team needs more playoff experience next year.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Well, as of today there are 9 scheduled UFA goalies who had higher save percentages than Mason last season. Granted, 3 of them only played 20-something games (Nilsson, Kinkaid, McElhinney); 2 played more than 50 (Miller, Budaj); 2 played in the 40s (Condon, Elliott); and 2 played in the 30s (Bernier, Johnson).

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016

I pretty much agree with this 100%. I don't think mason is a very likable guy and I think he doesn't take responsibility for his poor play at all. he's too quick to blame others. but he was far from the reason the flyers weren't successful the last few years. in both playoff series it wasn't like he was awful. in the rangers series he basically almost stole it and we likely win it if he was healthy the whole time. the caps series even though he let in a few softies he also kept us in those games when the caps were skating circled around us. I don't love mason and dont think him being one of the better goalies of the last 25 years means a whole lot but also don't think he was trash either. he is just a solid starting goalie that is inconsistent at times. losing him isn't the end of the world but I also am skeptical of the position being in better shape next year without him.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Well, as of today there are 9 scheduled UFA goalies who had higher save percentages than Mason last season. Granted, 3 of them only played 20-something games (Nilsson, Kinkaid, McElhinney); 2 played more than 50 (Miller, Budaj); 2 played in the 40s (Condon, Elliott); and 2 played in the 30s (Bernier, Johnson).

Telling us Mason had a bad year is like saying water is wet. We all know he was bad last year.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Telling us Mason had a bad year is like saying water is wet. We all know he was bad last year.

I was just responding to the poster above me saying he hoped Hextall had something up his sleeve. He certainly has options. Hopefully he selects a good one. I will say, though, that the Flyers' pro scouting hasn't been very good in Hextall's tenure.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
outside of his 18 games played in his two terrible months of October and January, he had a .927 sv pct 2.10 GAA which is pretty good for a starter. so while his overall season stats weren't that impressive it's clear those 18 games heavily weighed down his season. he overall was very solid for a majority(40 games out of 58) of this year but it just speaks for his inconsistency. very rarely did I think mason had stretches of just ok play. it seemed like he was either on and looked elite or he was off and looked God awful. he really didn't have in between stretches of play which is why he isn't a top goalie. I think mason brought much more good than bad though even in his last season.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

But no one is saying Mason had a good year last year. What certain people are saying is that the other 3 good year he did give us, matter too.

Everyone also remembers the Caps series. Mostly due to 1 goal. But they forget that in 3 games, Mason only allowed 3ES goals. He got shelled by Wash. PP. People forget how passive our PK was, standing back and allowing 1 timers from the point. Then as Mason got replaced by Neuvirth, we also changed the PK.

People also forget the Rangers series and how he outplayed Lundqvist.

And people forget how awful our defense has been the last few years bleeding scoring chances.

It looks like we are moving on from Mason. Who replaces him will be important. Replacing a starter with a backup could be awful. We already know Neuvirth will get hurt. We need a goalie capable of playing 60 games.

Hopefully Hextall works his magic again.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Interesting how when it comes to Mason it's all about the big picture and his entire body of work, not just last year, but also looking towards the future.

But when it's Neuvirth its hyper focused on last year and nothing else. As if that's how he's always been and always will be.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Interesting how when it comes to Mason it's all about the big picture and his entire body of work, not just last year, but also looking towards the future.

But when it's Neuvirth its hyper focused on last year and nothing else. As if that's how he's always been and always will be.

If this is directed at me....I have said that I expect Neuvirth to rebound. He can be a top 5-10 backup. But he can't stay healthy so should only be counted on for 30ish games.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
You don't care to look at context, do you?

Do you know many ES goals he let in last playoff series? Do you remember how many goals Philly scored total?

Do you remember Mason CARRYING that Flyers team into the playoffs?

That is completely irrelevant. The comment was that without Mason that things will not work out well at all for the team. The fact of the matter is, with Mason the team has been average at best, making the playoffs twice in four years and not winning a single round.

As for your comments, Mason was really good in the Rangers series, but bad against Washington. One goal or not, you can't lose your focus enough in a playoff game to let in a goal from the red line. Furthermore, aside from a couple of hot streaks, Mason has been bad since the 2015 playoffs including last season.

I think Mason is a decent goalie. He has had some really good moments with the Flyers. He isn't a top 10 goalie in this league however, let alone elite. He isn't worth a long term deal at big money at this time, and he isn't worth the drama and headaches that come along with him. Some people just seem to think Mason is something he is not and if you try to tell them that you are just a "Mason hater" which is ridiculous.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
He wasn't good against caps.

Fair enough, but he was exhausted from carrying the entire load down the miracle run to the playoffs while Neuvy was hurt. There was no Caps series without Mason, he was outstanding. And he played fantastic against the Rangers, even with a concussion.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
That is completely irrelevant. The comment was that without Mason that things will not work out well at all for the team. The fact of the matter is, with Mason the team has been average at best, making the playoffs twice in four years and not winning a single round.

As for your comments, Mason was really good in the Rangers series, but bad against Washington. One goal or not, you can't lose your focus enough in a playoff game to let in a goal from the red line. Furthermore, aside from a couple of hot streaks, Mason has been bad since the 2015 playoffs including last season.

I think Mason is a decent goalie. He has had some really good moments with the Flyers. He isn't a top 10 goalie in this league however, let alone elite. He isn't worth a long term deal at big money at this time, and he isn't worth the drama and headaches that come along with him. Some people just seem to think Mason is something he is not and if you try to tell them that you are just a "Mason hater" which is ridiculous.

I will now disregard anything you ever say again regarding Steve Mason. There's no getting through to you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad