Roster Moves: Per Agent, Mason Likely Moving on From Flyers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
You are apparently a Steve Mason fan so you are biased to say the least. The NHL will show how they think of him as a goalie from the offers he gets. If he ends up back with the Flyers on a two year deal then the NHL will have had a differing opinion of Mason than you. If he gets a 5 year deal and is a top 10 goalie per annual salary then it will support your feeling. He has been around 20th in both GAA and save % in the last two years. He is not an elite goalie. He is ok.....

I'm a Steve Mason fan because the dude is the best goalie we've had in 15 years. I wasn't a fan of his until his first year in Philly was completed because I saw a guy who is legit. Sure he had a down year, but people are doing backflips to make this guy trash.

When did I say any of the things you just said? I'm confident he won't get a long deal for a lot of money; He's had an atrocious year. Doesn't mean we should toss him out.

He isn't an elite goalie. And he's also been given 0 help on D. Even pretty good goalies, under bad systems can get poor numbers. For years he did well behind a swiss cheese defense, but it's finally caught up to him it seems these last season or two.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
You are apparently a Steve Mason fan so you are biased to say the least. The NHL will show how they think of him as a goalie from the offers he gets. If he ends up back with the Flyers on a two year deal then the NHL will have had a differing opinion of Mason than you. If he gets a 5 year deal and is a top 10 goalie per annual salary then it will support your feeling. He has been around 20th in both GAA and save % in the last two years. He is not an elite goalie. He is ok.....

If you had cited the same exact stat a year ago you would have found him ranked 6th. SV% is way more volatile than goalie talent.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I think Hextall just wants to see what options are available to the team. If Mason turns out to be the best option I think they'll pay him a good amount to come back.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
If you had cited the same exact stat a year ago you would have found him ranked 6th. SV% is way more volatile than goalie talent.

He had one really good season two years ago no doubt. he has since had some knee issues and is two years older and has had back to back mediocre seasons. We will see how much talent he has by the deal he gets by the NHL GM's.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
I'm a Steve Mason fan because the dude is the best goalie we've had in 15 years. I wasn't a fan of his until his first year in Philly was completed because I saw a guy who is legit. Sure he had a down year, but people are doing backflips to make this guy trash.

When did I say any of the things you just said? I'm confident he won't get a long deal for a lot of money; He's had an atrocious year. Doesn't mean we should toss him out.

He isn't an elite goalie. And he's also been given 0 help on D. Even pretty good goalies, under bad systems can get poor numbers. For years he did well behind a swiss cheese defense, but it's finally caught up to him it seems these last season or two.

I have posted that I think the Flyers will end up signing him after he gets no real long term offers. And being the best goalie for the Flyers in the last 15 years is the quintessential tallest midget scenario. He is an average NHL goalie. He is OK as a bridge guy during the youth rebuild. Anything more than a 2 year deal would be a mistake.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
If we're going to weigh down 2 pairings a night and completely hanging out goalies out to dry on breakaways and odd-man rushes by icing both Manning and Macdonald, it really doesn't matter who's in net, we'll continue to be that team that's always coming out of the 1st period from behind.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Which elite goalie are we going to be able to get to replace Steve Mason?

There are only a handful of elite goalies in the league IMO. I would say the top 5 should be called elite. None of them are available. There are some very good choices available through trade.

All 5 of these goalies were just left exposed for the expansion draft and if claimed by Vegas, a trade could be worked out.

• Petr Mrazek
  • Philip Grubauer
  • Antti Raanta
  • Calvin Pickard
  • Jaroslav Halak

and a few less desirable choices in free agency such as..

• Jonathan Bernier
  • Brian Elliott

And for all we know, Steve Mason could still be back on a 2 year deal.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Mason got such a raw deal. From everyone.

Best goalie we've had in almost two decades. Nope, no one cares. Apparently he's trash and a cancer.

I'm glad someone else agrees. Give Mason a better situation around him and we're golden. He's a legitimately good goalie and deserves better.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Carchidi said something about Kinkaid being a Flyer and everyone was confused, like he's about the 10th best option right now.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He had one really good season two years ago no doubt. he has since had some knee issues and is two years older and has had back to back mediocre seasons. We will see how much talent he has by the deal he gets by the NHL GM's.

This is a laughably simplistic assertion.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I cannot see Hextall waiting beyond July 1 to sign Mason. If he has intentions to bring him back it should be before then. After that I think both parties will move on. We can debate on whether the new goalie will be as good as Mason, but I just dont think Hextall will wait around for Mason to make up his mind while the other teams needing goalies go about their business.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad