Roster Moves: Per Agent, Mason Likely Moving on From Flyers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
If Vegas took Neuvy, wouldn't hate offering Mase 2 yrs up to 10 mill and go with Mase and Stolie. That would be as close as Mase could get to being the undisputed #1 and then see if Stolie or one of the others can take his job in 2 years.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
If Vegas took Neuvy, wouldn't hate offering Mase 2 yrs up to 10 mill and go with Mase and Stolie. That would be as close as Mase could get to being the undisputed #1 and then see if Stolie or one of the others can take his job in 2 years.

$5mil * 2 is way more than enough to get him back in this year's as-usual survival-of-the-latest goalie marketplace. Hope he comes back...choices are few for Mase, and I think Philly could do themselves a big favor by sticking with him and building on what they already have re team-work and familiarity, plus his overall solid play.

I think the talk of Mason souring the relationship is way overblown, and ripe for "repair" as this team enters a promising new season.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The goalie market seems really weak, so I don't think that kind of AAV is necessary now.

You apparently can't give Mrzaek away at $4m.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I don't think it's about money and term with Mason and the Flyers. I think both sides have really soured on each other. When a relationship is broken the other stuff doesn't matter. I could be wrong but that is just the hunch I have. Plus some of the beats have hinted at or even come out and said the same thing on twitter recently.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don't think it's about money and term with Mason and the Flyers. I think both sides have really soured on each other. When a relationship is broken the other stuff doesn't matter. I could be wrong but that is just the hunch I have. Plus some of the beats have hinted at or even come out and said the same thing on twitter recently.

The beats are less reliable than crack addicts. They're too lazy to write about actual hockey things so they go the TMZ route.

I would be exceptionally skeptical about anything they have to say about player feelings and relationships. There's a reason so many players over the years regard them with the same level of respect one usually gives a pile of unwanted dogpoo.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I don't see Mason back. He voiced his displeasure over not having distinct goalie roles and coaches usage.

Well we have the same coach and re-signed the other goalie. They are going to move on.

Arizona is a landing spot I could see.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
I don't see Mason back. He voiced his displeasure over not having distinct goalie roles and coaches usage.

Well we have the same coach and re-signed the other goalie. They are going to move on.

I overall agree but I could also see both sides putting their differences aside if both the flyers and mason cannot find better situations, which looking at the market, is very possible. i could see mason looking for a team and the flyers looking for a starting goalie at the start of free agency with both circling back and getting something short term done that is in the best interest of both parties.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

You dumb *******....you know nothing about hockey.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
With Calgary & Arizona out, I think that leaves us, Winnipeg, and Vancouver.
It's not too late to come back, Mase.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
This is brilliant, since NHL GM's never make mistakes, especially not early in July.

Its called Market value. You get paid based on your past play and projection of future play. Mason wants a long term deal; I can't see an NHL team offering that to him at age 29 coming off a mediocre year. Some teams will just pass succinctly as they don't want him. I think he comes back to Philly on a 2 year deal. And I am ok with it...he is as good a bridge goalie that you can get now. We will find out soon enough... Hextall appears to be playing this on his terms or bust.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Dear Mase's agent,,,

"7 Little chipmunks twirling on a branch, eating lots of seeds on my uncle ranch"

You know the old wives tale of the sea,,,

"Step into my office, Why ?

CAUSE YOUR ****ING FIRED !!!

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany
Its called Market value. You get paid based on your past play and projection of future play.

Market value is defined by supply and demand.
Just because the market value of water in most regions of the world is low (because of the high supply) does not mean water has a very high actual value (as in being vital to all life).
So the fact that Mason (probably) won't get a big contract does not automatically mean he is a non-valuable asset (as in bad goalie).

Also, players should not get paid based on their past play.
Their past play is one aspect to the projection of their future play, but should not be paid for by a new contract.

Mason wants a long term deal; I can't see an NHL team offering that to him at age 29 coming off a mediocre year.

One mediocre year.
Except for last season - when coached by a coach completely overwhelmed with the duties of handling NHL goalies - he was stellar during his stint with the Flyers.

And this goes back to your point of players being paid for their past play.
It does not make a whole lot of sense to project Mason's future play based on last year, but rather on his last 5 years.
And when you do, the most logical conclusion is that Mason probably is still a pretty good goalie who struggled last year.

But just for the record, the statement you quoted me on was more directed towards your argument that Mason's value / caliber as a player will undoubtedly be perfectly defined by the contract he will sign next.
And that argument is still really stupid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad