Roster Moves: Per Agent, Mason Likely Moving on From Flyers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I don't hate Mase the person and actually wouldn't hate him back at 2 years ( even tho I would prefer Stollie with him), but man it will be satisfying watching him get Biron'd, there is NO WHERE that will give him the deal he was rumored to be wanting.

The deal that people on this board just made-up?

How much was it again? 5 years, 4.5 million?

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
"If you can't be with the one you love honey, love the one you're with"
- overrated pot head trio from the 60's

Hexy already acknowledged that Neuvy hasn't proven able to be a #1 because he can't stay healthy so just get Mason back in here. Tell him his is the number 1 and let's move on. He is still only going to play 50-ish games.

3 years @ $5M

Last edited:

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
The deal that people on this board just made-up?

How much was it again? 5 years, 4.5 million?

No there was speculation on TSN he had said something along the lines that his last contract was a deal for the Flyers and he wanted security on this one. I said he won't get as much of a cap hit as his current deal and now that is almost a certainty.

I would be floored if Flyers wouldn't of given Mase the same deal Neuvy got. And if not, he must be quite the treat behind the scenes.

That being said, he may get 2 years from Wpg at 2.5-3 per year to split time with Helly.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
^^^this...:shakehead

its sad that the best goalie we have had in donkeys years is basicly being ridden out of town..

ohwell i guess the goalie carosuel was more fun

So you honestly believe Hexy is a buffoon , Mase is the model team mate, and the team openly wants to get weaker in net ??? Like you honestly think that ??

You are about to find out July 1st that the majority of the NHL think the exact same way Hexy does.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
no i think that giving Mase a contract that perhaps bridges the span between what Neuvy signed and a much longer term...

there is middle ground that im sure he and Hexy will agree on and that he DEF. has earned..

the idea that we simply let him walk after what he did here, because we MIGHT have better younger goalies coming up is a super risky idea..

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
No matter what happens, it will be spun to fit a posters feelings.

Mason signs elsewhere for fair money: no wonder Hextall didn't re-sign him
Mason signs elsewhere for little money: Hextall didn't even want him for that amount.
Mason re-signs here for fair money: Hextall waited him out because Mason wanted more
Mason re-signs here for little money: nobody wanted him, Hextall waited him out.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

Mason signs elsewhere for little money: Hextall didn't even want him for that amount.
Mason re-signs here for fair money: Hextall waited him out because Mason wanted more
Mason re-signs here for little money: nobody wanted him, Hextall waited him out.

Pretty much

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Man this thread is going to be interesting to spectate once he signs, no matter where, or for how much, that ends up being.

Either the Mason lovers or the Mason haters are going to make a big fuss.

Why can't we all just agree Weal sucks?

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Man this thread is going to be interesting to spectate once he signs, no matter where, or for how much, that ends up being.

Either the Mason lovers or the Mason haters are going to make a big fuss.

Why can't we all just agree Weal sucks?

Why does everyone have to be a "Mason lover" or "Mason hater." I consider myself somewhere in between.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
The way this is shaking out, it makes the most sense to "reconcile," although that is probably making too much of whatever supposed rift there was. I think it's going to come down to Mason vs Bernier (and the former not asking for too much more than the latter).

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
The way this is shaking out, it makes the most sense to "reconcile," although that is probably making too much of whatever supposed rift there was. I think it's going to come down to Mason vs Bernier (and the former not asking for too much more than the latter).
I agree completely. It is definitely in the best interests of both sides to kiss and make up and continue their relationship. In the end though I don't think it happens. I think Mason ends up in Vancouver or fighting for playing time in a tandem somewhere, and the Flyers will roll with a straight up tandem situation with Bernier and Neuvirth. I honestly think Mason has more to lose than the Flyers do in this situation.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Why does everyone have to be a "Mason lover" or "Mason hater." I consider myself somewhere in between.

I didn't say everyone had to fit into one of the two categories, I definitely don't.

But there definitely are two large groups that fit each of those descriptions. Only a matter of time until he signs somewhere and the fight will begin.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

So do I.
I think that if Mason does leave, it wont be any one persons fault. It wont be at the feet of the Flyers or Hextall like some seem to think. This whole argument of the Flyers are going let Mason bolt and they are somehow screwing him over is laughable.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The goalie market is absolutely flooded. At first I thought Mason would get 4.5M considering Darling got 4.15, but not anymore. Supply far outweighs demand. Given all the options still available and the likelihood of finding one at a reduced priced, I doubt a team is going to pay much for a guy who has expressed he'll be disgruntled unless he's the clear #1.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
The goalie market is absolutely flooded. At first I thought Mason would get 4.5M considering Darling got 4.15, but not anymore. Supply far outweighs demand. Given all the options still available and the likelihood of finding one at a reduced priced, I doubt a team is going to pay much for a guy who has expressed he'll be disgruntled unless he's the clear #1.

Mason's best option for both playing time and financially appears to be coming back to the Flyers for two years at around 4 million per. That ship might have sailed already though despite what Hextall keeps feeding the beat guys.

If Mason doesn't end up back in Philly there is a really good chance he is going to be playing even less for his next team and making less as well. Vancouver is the only other opportunity to be a starter and get a decent contract and if they don't have interest in him he is pretty much SOL. Nobody is going to invest big dollars and term in a backup who doesn't want to be one.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009

Exactly.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
^^^this...:shakehead

its sad that the best goalie we have had in donkeys years is basicly being ridden out of town..

ohwell i guess the goalie carosuel was more fun

"Best goalie we have had in years" is as much (or more of) a statement about the others as it is about him. But being the tallest dwarf in the circus doesn't qualify you as an NBA center.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
"Best goalie we have had in years" is as much (or more of) a statement about the others as it is about him. But being the tallest dwarf in the circus doesn't qualify you as an NBA center.

In the 4 years with Philly, he is tied for 12th in SV% with goalies playing at least 100 games....at .918.

He is tied with:

Dubnyk
Varlamov
Lundqvist
Anderson x2

Let's not pretend that this year Mason was the norm. And he did it behind a **** defense that he and Neuvirth covered up for....except this year.

Our young goalies are going to have growing pains and have bad years. Should we throw them away too once they do? Or should we look at the entire picture and make a decision?

Neuvirth had a much worse year and got a fat raise. He will rebound next year because history says he is a much better goalie than the one we say this year. Mason is no different.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
In the 4 years with Philly, he is tied for 12th in SV% with goalies playing at least 100 games....at .918.

He is tied with:

Dubnyk
Varlamov
Lundqvist
Anderson x2

Let's not pretend that this year Mason was the norm. And he did it behind a **** defense that he and Neuvirth covered up for....except this year.

Our young goalies are going to have growing pains and have bad years. Should we throw them away too once they do? Or should we look at the entire picture and make a decision?

Neuvirth had a much worse year and got a fat raise. He will rebound next year because history says he is a much better goalie than the one we say this year. Mason is no different.
Given that we had to have either Mason or Neuvy signed prior to the expansion draft, I'm sure that Hextall had extensive conversations with Mason's agent prior to signing Neuvy. Maybe its as simple as Mason wasn't really happy here with the current and future situation and asked for a lot of term and a big number. Hextall thought the goalie market would be soft and they wouldn't compromise and he moved on. I'd be surprised if he signed here if Neuvy is still here.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW

He is tied with:

Dubnyk
Varlamov
Lundqvist
Anderson x2

No, he's not dog ****. Nor is he the second coming of Bernie Parent. He's a good NHL goalie, who very publicly stated he wants to be the "defined starter," getting 55 or more games a year.

I hope we can all agree that, short of Lundquist or someone similar, that volume of play is not out there. And that Mason is not someone we can rely on when we are ready to contend in 2-3 years. No one in their right mind will give a 29 y/o Mason 3-5 years.

None of this is shoving the guy out the door, being unappreciative of what he brought to the team, "h8ing on him" or any of the other 13 year-old girl talk that too often passes for analysis on the interwebs. I trust Hextall to do a reasonable deal, and to stick to his guns rather than give excessive term or excessive playing time to a good goalie with consistency issues that happens to be pushing 30.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Guy pushing 30...yup, he is 29. So age is an issue?

Darling 28
Bernier 28
Raanta 28

These were guys that lots of people wanted. Age was not an issue. And no one is saying sign Mason for 5 years. That would be dumb.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad