Roster Moves: Per Agent, Mason Likely Moving on From Flyers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
In the 4 years with Philly, he is tied for 12th in SV% with goalies playing at least 100 games....at .918.

He is tied with:

Dubnyk
Varlamov
Lundqvist
Anderson x2

Let's not pretend that this year Mason was the norm. And he did it behind a **** defense that he and Neuvirth covered up for....except this year.

Our young goalies are going to have growing pains and have bad years. Should we throw them away too once they do? Or should we look at the entire picture and make a decision?

Neuvirth had a much worse year and got a fat raise. He will rebound next year because history says he is a much better goalie than the one we say this year. Mason is no different.

So just by the numbers, congrats Mase, hes about to get a big contract as a UFA, prob 5-6 years at just under 5 mill.

Or just maybe there is more to this,,, thinking the FLyers should give him a raise just because Neuvy got one is Crazy !!!

If the Flyers have ****ed Mase over, they will pay for it this year as they will most likely be weaker in net. If this is Mase driving the bus by either demanding he is the undisputed starter or wanting a pay raise, he is about to get a massive dose of reality in 4 days.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
So just by the numbers, congrats Mase, hes about to get a big contract as a UFA, prob 5-6 years at just under 5 mill.

Or just maybe there is more to this,,, thinking the FLyers should give him a raise just because Neuvy got one is Crazy !!!

If the Flyers have ****ed Mase over, they will pay for it this year as they will most likely be weaker in net. If this is Mase driving the bus by either demanding he is the undisputed starter or wanting a pay raise, he is about to get a massive dose of reality in 4 days.

Context.

I was responding to so one who certainly was making it sound like he was not good. And he is.

I have no issue if we move on from Mason and add Bernier...if it works out. Or anyone for that matter. Mrazek I would look to add too.

The point was that Mason has performed as well as all the guys in the same tier. But he certainly could be left standing without a team due to too many goalies, not enough jobs. Just like Elliot. Or Miller.

And as I said before, no one is saying to sign Mason for 5 years. But having him for 3 would be just fine. Because in the next 3 year, I don't think anyone we have will overtake him as the starter and by then hopefully Sandstrom, maybe Hart, is ready.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
No, he's not dog ****. Nor is he the second coming of Bernie Parent. He's a good NHL goalie, who very publicly stated he wants to be the "defined starter," getting 55 or more games a year.

I hope we can all agree that, short of Lundquist or someone similar, that volume of play is not out there. And that Mason is not someone we can rely on when we are ready to contend in 2-3 years. No one in their right mind will give a 29 y/o Mason 3-5 years.

None of this is shoving the guy out the door, being unappreciative of what he brought to the team, "h8ing on him" or any of the other 13 year-old girl talk that too often passes for analysis on the interwebs. I trust Hextall to do a reasonable deal, and to stick to his guns rather than give excessive term or excessive playing time to a good goalie with consistency issues that happens to be pushing 30.

That's not what he said. He said a team needs defined roles, he didn't say "I NEED TO BE NO. 1." But, even if he did, what does that matter? Shouldn't EVERY NHL athlete want as much ice time as possible? Again, this is one of those quotes that is taken by fans to manipulate it into a narrative.

I think this is totally shoving Mason out the door, like many others. I think Mason is better than a good goalie, and until this past season, he showed that statistically he is a very good goalie for the Flyers. The guy doesn't get respect and I am puzzled as to why he doesn't, despite whatever slight people think they've received from him as a fan.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
I want to keep Mason, but I do not want any goalie out there on a deal longer than 2 years, period. If that isn't going to get it done, then I think it's the right move to walk away.

Mkoll

Inkvisiittori
Jul 5, 2008
Saint John, NB, Canada
That's not what he said. He said a team needs defined roles, he didn't say "I NEED TO BE NO. 1." But, even if he did, what does that matter? Shouldn't EVERY NHL athlete want as much ice time as possible? Again, this is one of those quotes that is taken by fans to manipulate it into a narrative.

Yeah, I dont really want anyone on the team that wants to be a bench warmer or backup. That tells me their heart and desire arent in it..

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I seriously doubt the Flyers dont think Mason is a very good goalie. He is not being shown or shoved at the door. Nothing short of faxing Mason and his agent a blank contract what is Hextall supposed to do?
No one knows what is going on in these negotiation at all. Again some of you think this is all on the Flyers if he really does leave. Which is just wrong.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
I still think we are rolling with Stolie and Neuvirth and I'm cool with that.

Hextall has openly said to the media that he is not exactly comfortable with those two as his tandem for the upcoming season. For a guy who rarely tips his hand on anything behind the scenes, it's pretty damn clear that he is looking to upgrade the goalie position.

“Stolie’s an option. Is he the best option? I don’t know if I can quite say that. He’s young. Neuvy, we all know the history of injuries. I’m not sure if I’m comfortable with Stolie, and him given Neuvy’s history of injuries  and Stolie’s inexperience  [and] putting them both together.â€Â

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Mason played 58 games last year.

In his best SV% year, he posted .928 --- and played 51 games.

No wonder Hextall is confused by this headcase.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW

I think this is totally shoving Mason out the door, like many others. I think Mason is better than a good goalie, and until this past season, he showed that statistically he is a very good goalie for the Flyers. The guy doesn't get respect and I am puzzled as to why he doesn't, despite whatever slight people think they've received from him as a fan.

No narrative, just simple logic. But why not start where we agree?
1. Mason wants a traditional starter-backup situation. He stated clearly that the other approach, in his opinion, doesn't work.

"Doesn't work," Mason said. "And it's shown throughout the league, it doesn't work. Tampa got rid of their situation. St. Louis got rid of their situation. It's got nothing to do with Neuvy and I as people. I've got no issues with Neuvy. It doesn't work for the goaltending position."

Of course he fails to note that the back-to-back SC champions (at that time, the reigning champions) used exactly that approach with MAF & Murray. I therefor take his meaning to be "it doesn't work for me."

2. He is competitive and wants to be the starter, not the backup.

3. He would be even less happy in a situation where he is not the clear starter (i.e., getting even LESS action than he would be in a 1a & 1b situation).

Given all this, it appears that this is a bad situation for Mason. The Flyers intend to split time, no clear starter. He feels that he cannot be successful in such a situation. Ok, fine. Thanks for the memories, and I hope he finds what he is looking for.

I truly believe are all all perfectly in agreement on the above. Where I get truly befuddled is in the assertion that the Flyers' refusal to change their organizational philosophy to meet Mason's preferences is "pushing him out the door."

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Rumors of Miller getting 1 mill per year from the Ducks,,,, we may not spend 5 mill on goal this year total:amazed:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
That's a good spot for him if he wants a Cup, so he may be giving a big discount.

But the goalie market is not a good one for the goailes.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Rumors of Miller getting 1 mill per year from the Ducks,,,, we may not spend 5 mill on goal this year total:amazed:

I don't really think that was ever going to be the case. But with Miller I'm going to guess if that's the move he's leaving some money & individual opportunity on the table for a personal fit. Obviously Anaheim is a Stanley Cup contender but it also puts him with his wife who's an actress in LA.

MillerTime2181

Nov 3, 2010

If true, then it's absolutely clear/factual that he wants/intends to stay out West for his wife. Some team, possibly even the Flyers could and would give him more both AAV and term. I think he would have been an excellent stopgap until one of the younger goalies is ready, but looking more and more like the options will be more like a return of Mason or Bernier.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Of course he fails to note that the back-to-back SC champions (at that time, the reigning champions) used exactly that approach with MAF & Murray. I therefor take his meaning to be "it doesn't work for me."

They did?

In 15-16, Fleury had 58 games started. That's just outside top 10 in starts and a full workload. Murray just stole the job from him very late in the season and all playoffs. This season Fleury started 34 and Murray 47 -- and they each had a half of the playoffs -- but that's deceptive. Murray was the starter. He was injured back at the World Cup and missed the start of the year, then was injured Game 1 of the playoffs. Fleury did well, but as soon as he stumbled once, Murray was back in. Having 2 good goalies is not the same as having a platoon. From the second Murray took his job late last year, he has been the de facto starting goalie.

Because Neuvirth gets injured so much, we really have no idea what the starts would look like for Mason if both were healthy. It might very well be a full 50-50 platoon, as Hakstol has shown an interest in. He's been getting a starter's workload the last 2 years, but it's a bit by accident.

Last edited:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Hextall has openly said to the media that he is not exactly comfortable with those two as his tandem for the upcoming season. For a guy who rarely tips his hand on anything behind the scenes, it's pretty damn clear that he is looking to upgrade the goalie position.

Eh, I never put too much stock in to anything the GM says. I just think there isn't enough out there to make a good move and Stolie should be given a shot at some point. Unless he's working some sort of magic to get someone good, I don't see him signing anyone.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I don't really think that was ever going to be the case. But with Miller I'm going to guess if that's the move he's leaving some money & individual opportunity on the table for a personal fit. Obviously Anaheim is a Stanley Cup contender but it also puts him with his wife who's an actress in LA.

Yeah for Miller, it's the perfect fit for his home life and trying to win a cup. He just has to give up money to get it. I am sure him and his wife will get by ok.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Eh, I never put too much stock in to anything the GM says. I just think there isn't enough out there to make a good move and Stolie should be given a shot at some point. Unless he's working some sort of magic to get someone good, I don't see him signing anyone.

I agree to an extent, but it depends on the subject. You don't openly say to the media that you're not comfortable with your current group of two guys and then do nothing about it - that's just setting yourself up. You're painting a narrative that you knew you needed an upgrade and chose to do nothing about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad