Roster Moves: Per Agent, Mason Likely Moving on From Flyers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
If Mason signs with Winnipeg, I predict he has a strong year, takes the full time starting job, and gets nominated for a Vezina while all the idiots on the main boards collectively say, "LOL why didn't Mason play like that for Philly. Guess the problem is the Flyers!!!"

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
It could be happening from both sides.

Mason doesn't like how Hak handled the goalies.
Hak doesn't like a player being vocal against him.

Hextall is the middle and for all we know Hak has told him to go find someone else more "coachable". And Hextall is sitting there knowing that Mason is the best goalie available, but goes against his coach by re-signing him.

Reality is, neither Mason OR the Flyers have better options than each other.

Mason had a problem with Berube too and Hextall didn't exactly come out for Mason at the time. For all anybody knows Hextall could have had problems with Mason from the beginning. He's the one who signed Neuvirth. Fans need to stop blaming Hakstol for everything.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
This is where the overrating of Steve Mason comes into play on this board. A duo of Bernier/Neuvirth is barely a step back from the Mason/Neuvirth duo of the last two years. 2014-2015 was an outlier season for Mason. People need to understand that. He's an inconsistent, decent starting goalie and good for about a .915-.920 save percentage. Bernier has a career save percentage of .914 despite playing on some teams in Toronto that made the Flyers the last couple of years look like defensive stalwarts. Bernier is also notoriously inconsistent. The separation between Mason and Bernier isn't that great.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
If Mason signs with Winnipeg, I predict he has a strong year, takes the full time starting job, and gets nominated for a Vezina while all the idiots on the main boards collectively say, "LOL why didn't Mason play like that for Philly. Guess the problem is the Flyers!!!"

Tough winning the Vezina playing 40 games !!!

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
I also hate how Mase played so much when we wanted Stolie playing after a 2 solid games, it goes both ways,,,

Well, no, it's part of the same problem. Hakstol rides one goalie too hard and then loses trust in him when he crashes instead of using a sensical sequence. Using the example you noted above, it made absolutely no sense for Mason to start like 20 games in a row while Neuvirth was hurt. He's done it pretty consistently since taking over as coach where he'll start one of the goalies for an extended period of time, maybe giving the other the back half of a back-to-back, and then he'll go to the other. It just doesn't make any sense.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
In four full seasons with Steve Mason as the Flyers goalie the team has made the playoffs twice and won zero playoff rounds. It's far from the end of the world if he leaves.

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Well, no, it's part of the same problem. Hakstol rides one goalie too hard and then loses trust in him when he crashes instead of using a sensical sequence. Using the example you noted above, it made absolutely no sense for Mason to start like 20 games in a row while Neuvirth was hurt. He's done it pretty consistently since taking over as coach where he'll start one of the goalies for an extended period of time, maybe giving the other the back half of a back-to-back, and then he'll go to the other. It just doesn't make any sense.

They play one goalie 98% of the time in college but it's disturbing he cant seem to learn that it doesn't work in the NHL. You'd think it was a fairly easy concept to grasp but apparently not.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
No, thank you. I hate Bernier as much as Striiker hates Weal.

I don't hate Weal, actually I'm a huge fan.

In fact, I'm such a huge fan that I want what's best for his career, which is definitely to sign somewhere other than Philly. He'd be great in Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Moscow, Vegas, or really anywhere else. Just so long as it's not Philly. Definitely not Philly. Literally anywhere in the ****ing world other than Philly.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Because the UFA market is filled with mediocre goalies.

The market has some good goalies, but not great. Mrazek isn't an elite goalie himself either.

What we should be looking for is a bridge goalie. I'm not sure Mrazek is that guy. I think he's a guy you get if you need a long-term starter (well, that's what you'd hope he'd be). If he's REALLY cheap, fine. If not, I'm not sure it's worth putting the assets into rather than a UFA goalie.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Why on earth would you trade for a goalie?

The UFA goalie market is basically cornered. You'd get the goalie for zero assets.

One way to look at it is: "You get what you pay for" - so you'd get a zero goalie for zero assets. But I don't know that any of these guys really stand out as worthy of investment. In fact, what I have been saying for ages is that I don't know how many difference-makers there are at the position league-wide at the moment. I tend to think that it is a down period for goaltenders, while others see it as parity, where goaltenders are just "too big and too good" now. I don't really know what to think, aside from my eye test, which is making me think they aren't really that good compared to what I have seen over the years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad