Roster Moves: Per Agent, Mason Likely Moving on From Flyers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
Interesting how when it comes to Mason it's all about the big picture and his entire body of work, not just last year, but also looking towards the future.

But when it's Neuvirth its hyper focused on last year and nothing else. As if that's how he's always been and always will be.
I'm fine with Neuvirth, especially as a backup. He also was great 2 years ago. I don't think the sky is falling.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
I'm fine with Neuvirth, especially as a backup. He also was great 2 years ago. I don't think the sky is falling.

nobody has a problem with Neuvy as the backup... trouble is we might just be heading to him being the starter.

which is a tire fire waiting to happen.. he simply wont manage that workload..

curious has Neuvy EVER played 50 games in a single season in his NHL career ??? im going to go with noper.

ELab2

Apr 9, 2007
Atlantic City
nobody has a problem with Neuvy as the backup... trouble is we might just be heading to him being the starter.

curious has Neuvy EVER played 50 games in a single season in his NHL career ??? im going to go with noper.

No. In fact, he's only played more than 40 once and that was in 2010-2011.

If Neuvy is the starter, I think the front office is marking next year down for "young player development and a lottery pick."

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Even if it is a:

Elliott/Bernier - Neuvirth

Tandem...

they should put up a ~.910 sv% combined, like ~NHL average over a season for teams.

Ofc a ~.915 sv% combined would be great, but a ~.910 sv% would not kill them

Just cannot have another season of .901sv% combined.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I would wager quite a bit on Neuvy not being the starter.
he will be the backup goalie here or in Vegas.
Yep, he's paid like a backup and I'm pretty sure they see him as a backup and he knows it.

Last season was his chance to earn a starter role, but he couldn't.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015

Agreed. I was just responding to a post that implied that I was giving Mason a more than fair chance while not doing the same with Neuvirth.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
a-chance.gif

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Fair enough, but he was exhausted from carrying the entire load down the miracle run to the playoffs while Neuvy was hurt. There was no Caps series without Mason, he was outstanding. And he played fantastic against the Rangers, even with a concussion.

Injuries aside he wanted to be the man. He got rode like a franchise goalie and he couldn't handle it. If Mason worked out he would be getting another deal. Hextall is ready to move on. Mason had a good stretch of play when he first arrived but you started seeing him fizzle out and it started that year you are referring to. Mason is what he is. An above average starter. He has good physical talent but i don't think he is strong mentally. Its been a knock on him in his NHL career and i see why. You could clearly see why with his comments in the past two years with the changing of the goalie coach and his comments about the number of games. There was some obvious disconnect between said Player and Coaching/Management.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006

Pretty much Hextall probably wanted him back as a cheap option on a short term. Mase wants stability and long term. Hexy probably says well go to the market and see what you can get. I really doubt he gets a long term deal. The term will be no more than 3 years if he gets it.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It's still possible Neuvirth goes to Vegas. Hexy is just keeping his options open.

requiredusername

Apr 9, 2015
Mason is the last man standing option.

What people need to realize is that we are in rebuild mode. Whoever we sign will be mediocre until one of the prospects is ready.

It is unfortunate but that is the way everything works out.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Homer bid against himself with Bryz. There was no team that would have even bid remotely close. It is probably the same with what Mason wants and what he can realistically get. He should be waited out by Hextall or whatever team approaches him July 1.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
Yeah, I'm sure Mason is the reason why we haven't been a contender in 5-6 years. Not our AHL defense (apparently that isn't significant). It's Mason's fault alone for not being a contender..

And to top it off, Mason isn't a starter in your eyes it seems.

It just gets worse and worse here

You are apparently a Steve Mason fan so you are biased to say the least. The NHL will show how they think of him as a goalie from the offers he gets. If he ends up back with the Flyers on a two year deal then the NHL will have had a differing opinion of Mason than you. If he gets a 5 year deal and is a top 10 goalie per annual salary then it will support your feeling. He has been around 20th in both GAA and save % in the last two years. He is not an elite goalie. He is ok.....

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Homer bid against himself with Bryz. There was no team that would have even bid remotely close. It is probably the same with what Mason wants and what he can realistically get. He should be waited out by Hextall or whatever team approaches him July 1.

Remember Mr. Snider's "encouragement" with respect to signing Bryzgalov. It was an across-the-board failure to not properly view what type of goaltender he was.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Remember Mr. Snider's "encouragement" with respect to signing Bryzgalov. It was an across-the-board failure to not properly view what type of goaltender he was.

Yes and it only cost us Bob. All part of the Bryzaster.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
Mason is the last man standing option.

What people need to realize is that we are in rebuild mode. Whoever we sign will be mediocre until one of the prospects is ready.

It is unfortunate but that is the way everything works out.

This is the correct description of the Flyers goalie situation. Mason is a short term option it appears in Hextall's eyes. Mason wants a long term deal and Hextall is telling him "good luck to ya". I think that Mason will not get the long term deal and end up back with the Flyers on a two year deal hopefully...but knowing Hextall 3 year deal is not out of the question.

requiredusername

Apr 9, 2015
Yes and it only cost us Bob. All part of the Bryzaster.

As much as I love Ed, those two did caused more damage to the franchise than any owner/GM combination in the NHL.

When Homer completely screwed up the roster he got promoted to President.:facepalm:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Nothing is debatable....your opinion was a non-opinion. You kind of rip Mason than to placate the Mason fans; you agree with them.

So, as usual, you didn't read the post you responded to... that's a bad habit. Try harder next time or get someone to read it to you.

I didn't "rip Mason and then placate the Mason fans". I gave my personal opinion on him to show that I wasnt defending him out of some kind of pro-Mason bias. I don't like him that much, he's rubbed me the wrong way a few times, but, with that said, I can still see that the specific complaints that other people had were nonsense. Blaming him for the team losing those two playoff series, as if he let the team down on his own, is a joke because the skaters were a much larger issue than he was both times. Both times they struggled to score... he would have had to be absolutely perfect to win those series and that isn't a realistic expectation for any goalie.

But I'm wasting my time explaining this to you because we all know you won't read it and you'll respond anyway...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad