Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I don't much care for Ryan Wilson but yes it is insane to think that KD is on the hot seat.

FSG explicitly gave him 7 years which is very obviously giving him the reins to not only manage the last couple of years of Sid's career but also kick start the rebuild as well. He's going to get the full 7 to do that.

Well I wouldn't go that far (the bolded), but the rest of your post is spot on. KD's seat is quite comfortable. He'll get at least 4 years at the helm and likely longer assuming he doesn't totally biff on his trades/signings.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Well, if you really are trying to put pieces in place to help before the core retires, McGroarty will be ready a couple years sooner than whoever we draft with the 2025 first. So maybe you just go for it, with top 5 protection or something like that.
The way things are going and news coming out regarding his attitude and all, I think a prospect swap and maybe another player is more than enough. No one is giving up a 1st rounder for him in my opinion, or he would have been moved at the draft.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
The clearest evidence that The Hockey News is irrelevant trash when Ryan Wilson of all people has to put a Hockey News writer in his his place.

You guys actually think this organization would pursue a kid like McGroarty? And then on top of that, the kid wants to be gifted ice time as a rookie? You guys think Mike Sullivan would be on board with that? I dunno about all of that.
I don't think DUBAS would go for it even if Sullivan weren't here. I believe him when he says he wants to get younger, but I also think Dubas is a big believer in the overall development process. He wants to see young players excel at various levels before giving them an NHL opportunity.

McGroarty has a lot of promise, but it's completely unreasonable for him to think he can just skip developmental stages.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
You guys actually think this organization would pursue a kid like McGroarty? And then on top of that, the kid wants to be gifted ice time as a rookie? You guys think Mike Sullivan would be on board with that? I dunno about all of that.
It makes so much sense to give him that ice time here with Sid or Geno, we have absolutely nothing besides Yager to be excited for at the moment. I would do it in a heartbeat and if MS isn't happy, he can go f*** himself!!

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
McGroarty has a lot of promise, but it's completely unreasonable for him to think he can just skip developmental stages.
Yup. But all it takes is one GM willing to do it. 97% of GMs could agree with you...but that may not matter. I wondered in NYR didn't make sense. Send them Chytil and someone like Cuylle. Then get back McGroarty and a 3rd or something.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I don't much care for Ryan Wilson but yes it is insane to think that KD is on the hot seat.

FSG explicitly gave him 7 years which is very obviously giving him the reins to not only manage the last couple of years of Sid's career but also kick start the rebuild as well. He's going to get the full 7 to do that.

FSG won’t fire him but might suggest to him to hire a GM. Although I don’t see that happening in the short term.

IMG_0560.jpeg

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
FSG won’t fire him but might suggest to him to hire a GM. Although I don’t see that happening in the short term.

View attachment 895339
Maybe. I have a feeling that part of what drew Dubas to the Pens job was having the full power of being a GM and President. I doubt that's something he wants to give up.

FSG gave him a ton of power and he wouldn't have come here otherwise. And as much as people are disappointed in what he's done so far, you have to remember that KD was definitely a coveted hire when we got him. Young and already having worked in Toronto as GM. He was in demand.

Reactions: OtherThingsILike

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

On the other hand, it would actually be par for the course for this organization if the new GM who just got signed is on the hot seat before the friggin' coach who has been a disaster for half a decade.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Because he's only played college hockey. While he played well, he wasn't at the level of a Will Smith or an Adam Fantilli, both of whom showcased more advanced offensive talent as freshmen than McGroarty did as a sophomore.

Sorry, but a guy who scored 16 goals in college as a sophomore probably shouldn't be making demands about NHL playing time.

Again, he has plenty of promise. But he's not at the level of guys who go directly from college to the NHL and succeed.

Maybe. I have a feeling that part of what drew Dubas to the Pens job was having the full power of being a GM and President. I doubt that's something he wants to give up.

FSG gave him a ton of power and he wouldn't have come here otherwise. And as much as people are disappointed in what he's done so far, you have to remember that KD was definitely a coveted hire when we got him. Young and already having worked in Toronto as GM. He was in demand.
Dubas will hire a GM at some point when he needs to promote someone like Spezza to keep them in the organization. But Dubas will still be making the final decisions.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Because he's only played college hockey. While he played well, he wasn't at the level of a Will Smith or an Adam Fantilli, both of whom showcased more advanced offensive talent as freshmen than McGroarty did as a sophomore.

Sorry, but a guy who scored 16 goals in college as a sophomore probably shouldn't be making demands about NHL playing time.

Again, he has plenty of promise. But he's not at the level of guys who go directly from college to the NHL and succeed.

Meh. I don’t see the issue. Good teams would give him a chance.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Meh. I don’t see the issue. Good teams would give him a chance.
Scott Wheeler just listed his Top 100 drafted NHL prospects. These are players who are now NHL team property but who have not established themselves in the NHL.

McGroarty is 33rd.

That doesn't scream immediate leap to the NHL to me. Just like I've been saying about Yager, who clocks in at 58.

There is nothing wrong with allowing promising players to develop and marinate.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Scott Wheeler just listed his Top 100 drafted NHL prospects. These are players who are now NHL team property but who have not established themselves in the NHL.

McGroarty is 33rd.

That doesn't scream immediate leap to the NHL to me. Just like I've been saying about Yager, who clocks in at 58.

There is nothing wrong with allowing promising players to develop and marinate.

He’s going to be a junior. If he wants to be an NHLer at 20-21 it wouldn’t be shocking.

Feels like similar comments you made about Puustinen where you just have no clue about the player.

Just pulled up the article you are talking about.. “ I think he’s ready for pro, too.”.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
He’s going to be a junior. If he wants to be an NHLer at 20-21 it wouldn’t be shocking.

Feels like similar comments you made about Puustinen where you just have no clue about the player.

Just pulled up the article you are talking about.. “ I think he’s ready for pro, too.”.
Pro can mean AHL, too.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Rebuild has already kicked off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad