Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Respectfully... I wish I had your optimism. This roster is garbage and it's being run by even worse garbage.

Hopefully they just flat out suck. Probably the best outcome at this point.

During the season last year, youth worked in top 6 roles and Sullivan still kept f***ing it up. You may have more faith than I do mate, more power to you for that. I envy you.

POJ was good with Letang for a couple of seasons in a shitty system but we needed more Ruhwedel on the roster because he had that joose. That sticktoitiveness. Had that raspberry jam to his game mate.

I’m slightly optimistic that because the #1 priority isn’t playoffs anymore that Sully may change a little for the better 🤷‍♂️

I’m slightly optimistic that the roster will play better this season eg Bottom 6, PP, Karlsson a year in (it can be hard on D men at new clubs).

BUT IF

• Sid starts declining and the other 3 stars drop off even more
  • Sully coaches the same
  • Dubas doesn’t adjust through the season as needed
THEN it will be bad.

Having said all that even if Dubas/Sully their jobs well we still might tumble just due to age of our best players.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't think this team is much different than it's been for the past two years. Sure, Jake's gone, but Jake wasn't the difference maker a lot of people believe imo. /shrug

They'll probably still be in the WC race for a bit unless age/injury catches up to Sid notably. Like BlindWilly said; wish they'd keep parting things out like Petts and eventually Rust, and they just full on sucked.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
Since we all think we are going to suck, I bet we do the annoying thing and look really good and get our hopes up.

Then Sullivan and Jarry pull their usual shit in R1 and we don't fire him for some reason.
This is probably what will really happen.

The team won't fire Sullivan even if they start out like 0-10 because he's coaching Team USA, so he's as untouchable as a coach can get, but I'd love to be wrong.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Since we all think we are going to suck, I bet we do the annoying thing and look really good and get our hopes up.

Then Sullivan and Jarry pull their usual shit in R1 and we don't fire him for some reason.
Probably.

And I think Sullivan's here until he doesn't wanna be--hopefully that coincides with the rebuild (too good to coach a bottom feeder and all that).

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
In a vacuum, getting Cody Glass, a 3rd, and a 6th for a ECHL level guy is a great deal. I do like his size and potential though.

My non-vacuum stance is that:
1. This is $2.5mil of our $3mil in space. I would have rather tried for someone like Robertson to use the remaining cap on.
2. This is another potential roadblock to prospects.
3. Recent performance is nothing to write home about however his 2022 season looked good.
This is where I’m at as well. Was hoping Doobler would forego his annual dumpster diving traditions this year in lieu of going after a real/proven player, but alas.

Reactions: SEALBound

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Did the rebuild start right before or right after the draft where Doobler traded our first?
Dubas has egotistical tendencies, so the Karlsson trade was sort of like his "Hey, I'm here now" move.
I think he just wanted a year to assess how far they are away. Then after watching the team, realization quickly hit hard, and before the deadline he had already given up on any short-term, lofty goals.
This off-season he's committed to what needs to be done. If it wasn't for ownership's mandate, this restocking would be more aggressive.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Dubas has egotistical tendencies, so the Karlsson trade was sort of like his "Hey, I'm here now" move.
I think he just wanted a year to assess how far they are away. Then after watching the team, realization quickly hit hard, and before the deadline he had already given up on any short-term, lofty goals.
This off-season he's committed to what needs to be done. If it wasn't for ownership's mandate, this restocking would be more aggressive.
So he spent one year “going for it” in Pittsburgh and ended up doing even worse than Hextall did the year before (and this was after “going for it” for half a decade in Toronto and coming up woefully short each time there as well). Only then did the rebuild commence, heading in to the 2024-25 season. Just wanted to set the record straight.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
So he spent one year “going for it” in Pittsburgh and ended up doing even worse than Hextall did the year before (and this was after “going for it” for half a decade in Toronto and coming up woefully short each time there as well). Only then did the rebuild commence, heading in to the 2024-25 season. Just wanted to set the record straight.
Keep in mind he also had Hextall's mess to contend with upon arrival. It's not as simple as a clean slate.
I'm waiting longer before judging. I've been happy with every trade practically. The signings made sense, outside of maybe the Graves one. It was not the time to give 5-year term, when you're a year or 2 away from wrapping things up. He overextended himself for short-term pursuits, at a time when they weren't contenders.

I'm more bothered by his inactions in regards to the coaching staff, than anything else. That's what hurt results most.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Charlie Brown ass fanbase we got here.

d1009521056199e43e58617481dc8b5b.gif

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Keep in mind he also had Hextall's mess to contend with upon arrival. It's not as simple as a clean slate.
I'm waiting longer before judging. I've been happy with every trade practically. The signings made sense, outside of maybe the Graves one. It was not the time to give 5-year term, when you're a year or 2 away from wrapping things up. He overextended himself for short-term pursuits, at a time when they weren't contenders.

I'm more bothered by his inactions in regards to the coaching staff, than anything else. That's what hurt results most.
You definitely hit the nail on the head there. On the one hand, I wanted Laine instead of these Hayes/Glass types. On the other hand, I know that without a coaching change, it doesn’t really matter, as nothing will actually change.

Reactions: Andy99

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Again, not being flippant, but I think that no matter what moves we made or didn't make, having a different coaching staff would make them a lot more palatable. As is I just don't see why bringing in Cody Glass (not a bad move in a vacuum) is worth the mid-to-late picks we received if we're just going to run the same old stupid system. If we're trying to win (lol), it's not going to give us the results we need. If we're trying to tank and gain assets for flipping, it's not going to showcase/improve any assets worth flipping since anyone not in the top 6 is going to get shelled or never used.

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Imo, worse than Graves was the signing of Jarry to that term…Dubas, if anyone, should know the fate of tying your hands to mediocre goaltending … Pens have goaltending prospects too…was a scared signing reminiscent of Hextall feeling pressure to do something at the deadline and coming away with Granlund…only worse because of the term lol

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad