Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
It is this. The millisecond the season ends he's back up there skating with his kids. There is no way he wouldn't go there in a heartbeat to finish a career. It doesn't matter about success, it's about playing for the Habs for a dude that loves that city.
That and yeah he'd be home and given his health scares maybe he sees the Penguins current state and realized that if he's going to be in this position why not be in the same but back home. Also the Habs have a better future with their prospect pool so near the end of his contract he might actually sniff some playoff time.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I know it's Madden and he's a wankbucket and a half, but this is something we all joked about or mentioned before if Sid didn't sign and if they blew things up. I mean it could be why Sid maybe doesn't want to sign if we just want to play the rumor game for shits and giggles. That if Letang is not sure if he wants to stay anymore that Sid is maybe like ok so I have a lot of thinking to do with Nate sending him Sid in Avs jerseys from AI.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Wouldn’t mind it if Montreal was willing to give up a decent pick.

But.. I fear that would signal maybe Sid would want to move on too and I wouldn't like that

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Sit down with all 3, figure out what they want and make it happen. They want out, get a list of 2-3 teams they really wouldn't mind being moved to and ship them out. It is what it is, we will not be competing anymore for a few years with the way this rosters and some of it's contracts we have going forward

Wouldn’t mind it if Montreal was willing to give up a decent pick.

But.. I fear that would signal maybe Sid would want to move on too and I wouldn't like that
I don't think we're getting a 1st from Montreal, he'll even a 2nd would be tough.. We would probably get a cap dump like Anderson an a young player or 2 like Harris or Barron and a mid level prospect forward as well

Last edited:

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
I don't think that's accurate. People seem to keep saying this because DOC started to look good individually when put on that line, but the line itself wasn't "improved".

Sid/Rust with DOC - 13 GF - 14 GA
Sid/Rust without DOC - 38 GF - 34 GA

They actually were a minus as a line at 5on5, versus any combination of Sid and Rust without DOC. A lot of the various advanced stats also show this (CF%, FF%, SCF%, SF%). The *only* area it saw a slight improvement was in HDCF%, but even that was marginal (59.4% versus 58.6%).

A lot of the time DOC spent on Sid's line was post Jake time when they all sucked.

Stats can be misleading.

Reactions: akapidots

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm not sure you're getting much of anything from Montreal if Letang wants out. Maybe you can get a decent pick or prospect or something, but the real value probably comes from opening up his $6M to take on someone else's garbage for a 1st or something.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I'm not sure you're getting much of anything from Montreal if Letang wants out. Maybe you can get a decent pick or prospect or something, but the real value probably comes from opening up his $6M to take on someone else's garbage for a 1st or something.
I think Montreal would be very interested actually. It's a hometown bloke that has won 3 cups (played in 2 of those playoffs). He put up 51pts in 82 games last year, the healthiest he's ever been, at 37 that's actually incredible.

Maybe the Pens take back Savard and one of their 3rd round picks. That still frees up 3m and they can flip Savard at the deadline as an impending free agent for more assets. I'd still love to get Florian Xhekaj from the Habs.

Kris Letang + Sam Poulin To Montreal
Savard, F. Xhekaj, and 3rd rounder to Pittsburgh

Then you have some extra cap to take on from the Avs when Sid asks to go there after a lot of retention to make the Avs give up a lot more lol.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Letang only has 2 years left of being a good top 4 Dman, So I don't see how he would fit into Montreal's timeline for competing. Makes zero sense from Montreal's view. So I'm leaning towards it being completely made up by Madden. Why would a last place team want a 36 year old with 2 decent years left? After that, it'll be a terrible cap hit for two years, around the time Montreal would be on the upswing and have to sign their young guys. 6 mil on a 38-39 Letang would be steep.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I think Montreal would be very interested actually. It's a hometown bloke that has won 3 cups (played in 2 of those playoffs). He put up 51pts in 82 games last year, the healthiest he's ever been, at 37 that's actually incredible.

Maybe the Pens take back Savard and one of their 3rd round picks. That still frees up 3m and they can flip Savard at the deadline as an impending free agent for more assets. I'd still love to get Florian Xhekaj from the Habs.

Kris Letang + Sam Poulin To Montreal
Savard, F. Xhekaj, and 3rd rounder to Pittsburgh

Then you have some extra cap to take on from the Avs when Sid asks to go there after a lot of retention to make the Avs give up a lot more lol.
Letang had 45 EV points last year, 6 more points than the 10 mil guy. But for some reason one is considered washed. Letang was better than EK.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Letang had 45 EV points last year, 6 more points than the 10 mil guy. But for some reason one is considered washed. Letang was better than EK.
One didn't have Mike Sullivan adjusting his game to play "his way" which threw Karlsson completely off for most of the season.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I mean to f***ing lay that shit against a multiple Norris winner and one of the best offensive defensemen of this f***ing era is comical as shit.

Oh Letang had, who gives a flying f***ing f***.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
One didn't have Mike Sullivan adjusting his game to play "his way" which threw Karlsson completely off for most of the season.

I mean to f***ing lay that shit against a multiple Norris winner and one of the best offensive defensemen of this f***ing era is comical as shit.

Oh Letang had, who gives a flying f***ing f***.

Sully didn't have one iota influence in how Karlsson did. Karlsson didn't have generational talent eating away at the puck elsewhere. He was the man. Him being a plus player is the takeaway over doing it all and being -21 or whatever.

Karlsson himself is fine at his age, it's his 10.0 dragging him and the team down. I blame Dubas for not paying to get that cap hit down another 2.0.

Expecting Karlsson to go nuclear not being the defector guy is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sully didn't have one iota influence in how Karlsson did. Karlsson didn't have generational talent eating away at the puck elsewhere. He was the man. Him being a plus player is the takeaway over doing it all and being -21 or whatever.

Karlsson himself is fine at his age, it's his 10.0 dragging him and the team down. I blame Dubas for not paying to get that cap hit down another 2.0.

Expecting Karlsson to go nuclear not being the defector guy is just setting yourself up for disappointment.
Sully doesn't seem to have any fault in anything to you. It seems it's always the player.

Reactions: Pens x

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Sully doesn't seem to have any fault in anything to you. It seems it's always the player.
What are you talking about? Neither had anything to do with this.

Sully isn't to blame for all the woes on this team. Which a lot of you make a case for. There are forces going against this team probably out of everyone's control. That doesn't mean Sully's time as HC hasn't hit the expiration date.

Problem here is, "Bad" ownership, GM and coach.

The team has that greasy, dirty feel to it.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It's cool that every summer we're like "Wouldn't it be nice to not have $5-8M in dead cap so the team could try to improve or take on other people's garbage for assets". :laugh: Kapanen, Carter, Granlund, Nieto, McGinn, Acciari, Smith, Graves, Dumo, etc., etc.

Fun team!

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
People are missing the point with Karlsson so they can do their daily Sully circle jiark.

Karlsson was good at 5-on-5. He was hot garbage on the Powerplay. Bad at absolutely everything 5-on-4. That could be Sully/Rierden, but more likely based on the results in San Jose the guy is just a bad Powerplay QB. It was still worth it to take a shot with him, and maybe it turns around this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad