Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
This is where I’m at as well. Was hoping Doobler would forego his annual dumpster diving traditions this year in lieu of going after a real/proven player, but alas.
I'm okay with dumpster diving provided we PUT garbage in the dumpster at the same time.

I would have objected to waiving Harkins and claiming Phillips last year for example.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I'm okay with dumpster diving provided we PUT garbage in the dumpster at the same time.

I would have objected to waiving Harkins and claiming Phillips last year for example.
It just still seems to me that they're trying to thread the needle for some dumb reason.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Imo, worse than Graves was the signing of Jarry to that term…Dubas, if anyone, should know the fate of tying your hands to mediocre goaltending … Pens have goaltending prospects too…was a scared signing reminiscent of Hextall feeling pressure to do something at the deadline and coming away with Granlund…only worse because of the term lol
Think Jarry will be tradeable though at minimal sacrifice. They didn't have a starter at the time and the market sucked, so it didn't bother me too much.
If Graves doesn't get better next season, the sweetener(s) required to off-load him might not be worth it.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Think Jarry will be tradeable though at minimal sacrifice. They didn't have a starter at the time and the market sucked, so it didn't bother me too much.
If Graves doesn't get better next season, the sweetener(s) required to off-load him might not be worth it.
Both will require sweeteners unless they rebound big time and Dubas won’t do that clearly anymore…the issue isn’t what it will cost to move them: the issue is that we have plenty of options to replace Jarry and you shouldn’t give that kind of term to any goalie who’s not a franchise goalie…I forgive paying Graves that term as a LD man and we have Petts coming up on an expiring contract…we need Graves to rebound a lot more than we need Jarry

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Dubas has egotistical tendencies, so the Karlsson trade was sort of like his "Hey, I'm here now" move.
I think he just wanted a year to assess how far they are away. Then after watching the team, realization quickly hit hard, and before the deadline he had already given up on any short-term, lofty goals.
This off-season he's committed to what needs to be done. If it wasn't for ownership's mandate, this restocking would be more aggressive.
how so?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

It better be Geno unless he’s injured, or he’s completely washed lol…
I'd be more worried if Geno hit his milestone after the two guys behind him did.

No team playing DOC on their 1st line is trying to win.
Maybe if the other two players are prime McDavid/Draisaitl or prime Mackinnon/Rantanen, you can get away with it. But when Bryan Rust is your "top" winger on that line flanking a 37 year old, then yeah, it's typical Penguins "I'm sure Sid and Geno can do more with less still" approach.

Reactions: Andy99

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
DOC actually improved that line. Jake was a defensive hole and really Tampa may have to cover for him on whatever line he plays on. Seattle stupidly over paid for Stephenson who I wanted. But Bunting, DOC and whoever emerges among others is where we are. Pens will have enough to fill a bottom 6 if Acciari is back and healthy and Glass gets back on track. Poulin, Ponomarev, couple signings by Dubas is not the worst thing. I do think Eller will be moved if Hayes shows he can still play at a decent level.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Both will require sweeteners unless they rebound big time and Dubas won’t do that clearly anymore…the issue isn’t what it will cost to move them: the issue is that we have plenty of options to replace Jarry and you shouldn’t give that kind of term to any goalie who’s not a franchise goalie…I forgive paying Graves that term as a LD man and we have Petts coming up on an expiring contract…we need Graves to rebound a lot more than we need Jarry
From a future potential Cup perspective, I don't think it's gonna make any real difference if someone replaces Jarry now. That goalie is not gonna help them win rounds now or in any immediate future.
The only way you profit from doing that is if you trade Blomqvist or whatever after boosting his value. But is Dubas gonna do that? I highly doubt it. Dubas would see him as part of his new core, trying to force this re-tool on the fly of his.
Besides, there's absolutely no guarantee that Blom will be better than TJ. Jarry was slightly above league average in goals saved above expected. He's fine, just not great.

However what you could gain from Jarry being off-loaded (without sweetener is possible imo), is utilizing his cap space for other things that can help the future. That would be the reason to do it.

As for Graves, I think a rebound is likely. But even if it comes, I still think he'll be tougher to move without penalty. Teams are less desperate for middle pairing LD's than they are starters, most of the time.

Reactions: Andy99

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
I imagine CBJ will trade him to a team he wants to go to (within reason). I don’t think we’d be one of those teams.
You’re most likely right, but a big splash like that is much welcomed imo. I guess we’re content trying to have Bunting replace Jake’s offensive production?

I can see him going to Carolina to reunite with Aho after Jake ditched them tbh.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Letang asking for a trade to Montreal doesn't really make any sense unless he'd rather live there to be close to family, etc. They suck even worse than the Pens do and none of Letang's friends are there.

Reactions: Jacob

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Letang asking for a trade to Montreal doesn't really make any sense unless he'd rather live there to be close to family, etc. They suck even worse than the Pens do and none of Letang's friends are there.
It is this. The millisecond the season ends he's back up there skating with his kids. There is no way he wouldn't go there in a heartbeat to finish a career. It doesn't matter about success, it's about playing for the Habs for a dude that loves that city.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'd be happy to drive Letang to the airport for his trade outta town tbh. /shrug

Of the big three he's easily the guy I care about the least, by a huge margin. He'd be doing this team a favor asking for a trade imo.

But it's Madden, so it's bullshit.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I'd be happy to drive Letang to the airport for his trade outta town tbh. /shrug

Of the big three he's easily the guy I care about the least, by a huge margin. He'd be doing this team a favor asking for a trade imo.

But it's Madden, so it's bullshit.
yeah, odds are he maybe mentioned he had wished he had played in Montreal sometimes and Madden is being Madden.

But on the off chance he wants to waive and go to Montreal, fleece 'em, f*** 'em, and forget about 'em.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
DOC actually improved that line. Jake was a defensive hole and really Tampa may have to cover for him on whatever line he plays on. Seattle stupidly over paid for Stephenson who I wanted. But Bunting, DOC and whoever emerges among others is where we are. Pens will have enough to fill a bottom 6 if Acciari is back and healthy and Glass gets back on track. Poulin, Ponomarev, couple signings by Dubas is not the worst thing. I do think Eller will be moved if Hayes shows he can still play at a decent level.
I don't think that's accurate. People seem to keep saying this because DOC started to look good individually when put on that line, but the line itself wasn't "improved".

Sid/Rust with DOC - 13 GF - 14 GA
Sid/Rust without DOC - 38 GF - 34 GA

They actually were a minus as a line at 5on5, versus any combination of Sid and Rust without DOC. A lot of the various advanced stats also show this (CF%, FF%, SCF%, SF%). The *only* area it saw a slight improvement was in HDCF%, but even that was marginal (59.4% versus 58.6%).

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
This

This roster absolutely sucks ass lmao.

We are absolute doo-doo.
What's funny is Bylsma probably gets that roster into the playoffs. Sullivan had Sid And Geno play all games the last two seasons and missed.

I don't think that's accurate. People seem to keep saying this because DOC started to look good individually when put on that line, but the line itself wasn't "improved".

Sid/Rust with DOC - 13 GF - 14 GA
Sid/Rust without DOC - 38 GF - 34 GA

They actually were a minus as a line at 5on5, versus any combination of Sid and Rust without DOC. A lot of the various advanced stats also show this (CF%, FF%, SCF%, SF%). The *only* area it saw a slight improvement was in HDCF%, but even that was marginal (59.4% versus 58.6%).
Well would you look at that. Something I've been saying all f***ing off season.

Raks With Sid is the best option. Because with Jake Sid and Rust it was still bleeding goals. Only With Rakell was that line even remotely good with allowing less goals when they scored.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad