Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Which is why the production point is valuable to mention, because Sullivan's deployment is essentially for the top two lines to go out and score and the bottom two lines to not get scored on.

This is the most baffling part of Sullivan and probably one of the biggest reasons we aren’t making the playoffs/losing in Round 1.

Sure try it for a year if you feel the need due to the roster or you just want to test it out but it hasn’t worked for years now.

Sullivan went from progressive to depressive.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
This is the most baffling part of Sullivan and probably one of the biggest reasons we aren’t making the playoffs/losing in Round 1.

Sure try it for a year if you feel the need due to the roster or you just want to test it out but it hasn’t worked for years now.

Sullivan went from progressive to depressive.

Pretty cool to know that dude's seat is ice cold until at least 2027ish, huh?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
This is 1000% hindsight but I would have re-signed POJ and taken a 2nd to eat Ceci's contract over letting POJ walk and signing Grzelcyk to replace him.
Indeed. I might have advocated offer sheeting Holloway instead of taking on Glass for the 3rd.

Did anything ever come out on POJ and why we never got a deal done? He signed for next to nothing with StL. Wonder if it was a case of "ask for too much, market dries up, desperately sign for minimum"?

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Indeed. I might have advocated offer sheeting Holloway instead of taking on Glass for the 3rd.

Did anything ever come out on POJ and why we never got a deal done? He signed for next to nothing with StL. Wonder if it was a case of "ask for too much, market dries up, desperately sign for minimum"?

I assume it's something in the "I'm not 30+ years old with a massive FA contract so I won't get much of a chance here" vein if I had to guess.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Virtually every team that is retooling to rebuild slowly will purposely leave spots for youth to battle out. For the Penguins, GM Sully made it so no spots were open and let's be real, Puustinen could have an insane camp and Sullivan would still use the vets instead. Even with last seasons production he was still demoting him.

This is probably the worst portrayal of a retool/slight rebuild I've ever seen in the history of the NHL.

Or likely he just wanted out knowing no matter how well he played, coach will always pick his favourites over him. POJ got a raw deal with his usage and I am sure he will rebound very well on the blues and to play with his brother is a once in a life time opportunity in the NHL so I'm happy for the lad.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Or likely he just wanted out knowing no matter how well he played, coach will always pick his favourites over him. POJ got a raw deal with his usage and I am sure he will rebound very well on the blues and to play with his brother is a once in a life time opportunity in the NHL so I'm happy for the lad.
I mean, not really, especially late last year. He was partners with Letang for the last quarter the season. Who was favorited over POJ? Graves was demoted to the third pairing.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Virtually every team that is retooling to rebuild slowly will purposely leave spots for youth to battle out. For the Penguins, GM Sully made it so no spots were open and let's be real, Puustinen could have an insane camp and Sullivan would still use the vets instead. Even with last seasons production he was still demoting him.

This is probably the worst portrayal of a retool/slight rebuild I've ever seen in the history of the NHL.

I don’t care if they fill the roster before the season starts BUT if it’s not working and the youth have earnt a shot then Dubas needs to trade/waive to make room (unless it’s an injury of course). We haven’t had many young players picking down the door for a while. That should start to change with our current prospects.

I assume we are still wanting to be competitive and try to make the playoffs and it’s easier to have more “proven” (whether they are in reality is besides the point I’m making) players to begin with.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Also I just now caught up to the Madden rumor that Letang asked for a trade to the Habs.

I for one would be extremely pissed at Letang if he demanded a trade after making such a huge deal about getting that six year contract. The audacity.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
Also I just now caught up to the Madden rumor that Letang asked for a trade to the Habs.

I for one would be extremely pissed at Letang if he demanded a trade after making such a huge deal about getting that six year contract. The audacity.
He also said Malkin wouldn't finish his current contract.

I'm more than assuming that Malkin and Letang will finish their respective careers in Pittsburgh. The Pens are going to be the next Coyotes and start taking LTIR contracts for draft picks in the next three years.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
He also said Malkin wouldn't finish his current contract.

I'm more than assuming that Malkin and Letang will finish their respective careers in Pittsburgh. The Pens are going to be the next Coyotes and start taking LTIR contracts for draft picks in the next three years.

It was a poor attempt at humor at the expense of everyone getting their pantaloons in a twist over Malkin a few days ago. Madden is utterly full of shit.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
If they are trying to make the playoffs, Hanks... they are doing an extremely poor job of it.

It’s not the #1 priority anymore but we have a roster to be thereabouts.

Things go well we can make it.
Things go bad and we get a top 5 pick.
Things go meh and we’ll be somewhere in between.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
It was a poor attempt at humor at the expense of everyone getting their pantaloons in a twist over Malkin a few days ago. Madden is utterly full of shit.
I used to think that Letang would eventually go on LTIR and the Pens would deal him to a team like the former Coyotes, but I'm convinced now that they will be the team that takes on bad contracts as a favor.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It’s not the #1 priority anymore but we have a roster to be thereabouts.

Things go well we can make it.
Things go bad and we get a top 5 pick.
Things go meh and we’ll be somewhere in between.

Respectfully... I wish I had your optimism. This roster is garbage and it's being run by even worse garbage.

Hopefully they just flat out suck. Probably the best outcome at this point.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I don’t care if they fill the roster before the season starts BUT if it’s not working and the youth have earnt a shot then Dubas needs to trade/waive to make room (unless it’s an injury of course). We haven’t had many young players picking down the door for a while. That should start to change with our current prospects.

I assume we are still wanting to be competitive and try to make the playoffs and it’s easier to have more “proven” (whether they are in reality is besides the point I’m making) players to begin with.
During the season last year, youth worked in top 6 roles and Sullivan still kept f***ing it up. You may have more faith than I do mate, more power to you for that. I envy you.

I mean, not really, especially late last year. He was partners with Letang for the last quarter the season. Who was favorited over POJ? Graves was demoted to the third pairing.
POJ was good with Letang for a couple of seasons in a shitty system but we needed more Ruhwedel on the roster because he had that joose. That sticktoitiveness. Had that raspberry jam to his game mate.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Glass is apparently a great guy so I'm definitely rooting for him. Skeptical he ends up much but it would be pretty nice if he could carve out a role as a 3C here.
I have no issues with Glass. I think he could have a close enough to McCann type of resurrection here if he's given a role and he stays in it without being f***ed around in the line up. That last part is key because thats how Sullivan ruins most of these players. They never get to settle into a role and grow. They have a hot game or two and suddenly they're thrown into a role that if they fail, takes them back 3-4 steps.

I wish Acciari and Eller were moved already and Hayes, I hate even remembering he's on this team.

I haven't had time to see who played for Boston U or the Soo Greyhounds, or maybe both!

Crap, Kevin Shattenkirk is a Terrier.

Nick Cousins played for the Greyhounds.
I'm sure Mario Lemieux would love a feel good story like a gang rapist like Nick Cousins on this squad.

I think putting Eller at center over Malkin in order to "help" him sounds EXACTLY like something this team would do!

That's not a good thing.
Instead of swapping Rakell and Rust with Geno to help him, they'll just keep doing the wrong things.

O'Connor, Crosby, Rakell
Bunting, Malkin, Rust
Beauvillier, Glass, Puustinen
Gruden/Poulin, Hayes, Lizotte

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad