Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I've always watched the powerplay be: "Okay guys, you're generational talents. Here's how we'll set up. Here's how we can move a bit. Now go out there and feel it out and let your skill take over"

Now that their collective skills aren't that much higher than the pk'ers, I think they need to move more into the "set play" style of powerplay. Not 5 guys freewheeling however they see fit. I think if they have a couple set plays that they can work on executing well, I think that will help.

One thing that also really hurts the PP that they can't address right now, is raw shooting talent. They don't have anyone with a crazy good shot, sans maybe Sid. We don't have "pick corners" guys or anyone with a deadly one-timer. The lack of that talent exposes them just as badly as the lack of net-front presence does.

You could make an arguement to say the Jake was the best shooter of the bunch. So they exchanged a shooter for a net-front guy.

This is why I feel strongly a guy like Bennstrom could play the Sprong role: boost up the PP with his shot and play 4th line minutes

But again, this coach loves doing the same thing and expecting different results.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
You could make an arguement to say the Jake was the best shooter of the bunch. So they exchanged a shooter for a net-front guy.

This is why I feel strongly a guy like Bennstrom could play the Sprong role: boost up the PP with his shot and play 4th line minutes

But again, this coach loves doing the same thing and expecting different results.
It's tough too when you're top 4 are Sid, Geno, Letang, and Karlsson. Just telling one of Letang or Karlsson they have to be on the 2PP is tough. They are getting into those situations where you have to tell long-term all-starts that they don't have it anymore.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
The Pittsburgh Penguins have announced the following hockey operations staff hirings and promotions:

Staff Additions:

• Jonathan Erlichman - Vice President, Hockey Research, Development & Strategy
  • Kevin Elliott - Head Athletic Trainer
  • Lucas Malloy - Manager, Hockey Operations
  • Chris Roque - Amateur Scout
  • Brandon Dennis - Amateur Scout
  • Brian Ihnacak - Amateur Scout
  • Jason Pietrzykowski - Professional Scout
  • Chad Nehring - Professional Scout
  • Karel Popper - Goaltender Coach, Wheeling Nailers
Staff Promotions:

• Jason Spezza - Assistant General Manager & General Manager, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
  • Amanda Kessel - Manager, Minor League Operations and Assistant General Manager, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
  • Kain Tisi - Goaltender Coach, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
  • Mark Osiecki - Professional & NCAA Scout

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Damn, FSG really flexing that wallet. Nice to see investment into Wheeling. Atleast 1 or 2 legit goalie prospects are going to find their way down there.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
It's tough too when you're top 4 are Sid, Geno, Letang, and Karlsson. Just telling one of Letang or Karlsson they have to be on the 2PP is tough. They are getting into those situations where you have to tell long-term all-starts that they don't have it anymore.

Do you know how many tough conversations I have to have as an HR Director? I think Mikey Sullivan is experienced enough to have the conversation that "it's less about you per se and more how the collective unit functions"

But I don't think Mikey has worked or cared all that much since 2017

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Do you know how many tough conversations I have to have as an HR Director? I think Mikey Sullivan is experienced enough to have the conversation that "it's less about you per se and more how the collective unit functions"

But I don't think Mikey has worked or cared all that much since 2017
You and Girgs both I'm sure.

But on that front, I have had hard talks with nearly every level of a company - craft workers, office workers, supervisors, managers, directors, VPs, C-Suite, owners, BODs, etc. I would say it's a lot harder of a conversation when it's a long-term owner, President, VP, etc as opposed to the new craft workers that's been there 2 weeks.

The Pittsburgh Penguins have announced the following hockey operations staff hirings and promotions:

Staff Additions:

Staff Promotions:

• Jason Spezza - Assistant General Manager & General Manager, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
  • Amanda Kessel - Manager, Minor League Operations and Assistant General Manager, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins

Dude in the upper right looks like he's been a Penguin FO member for years.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

This coaching staff doesn't seem to use players who are actually good at that given role and instead just throw the 5 most "senior" players out there because reasons.

It's why Sullivan would often use Rust in the old Kessel spot on the left wall, even though Rust a]isn't a good passer/facilitator like Kessel was, and b]doesn't have a rocket of a one-timer ala Ovi/Stamkos/Pastrnak to fill the shooting role required of that spot.

Staff Additions:

Staff Promotions:

They couldn't have found a mugshot of the guy when he's not wearing his baseball jersey? Nothing shouts "hockey" like a guy dressed like he's about to take the baseball field.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Erlichman’s background pretty is interesting tbh. Rays are like “the model” for small market baseball and winning via strategy rather than $$ IIRC.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
You and Girgs both I'm sure.

But on that front, I have had hard talks with nearly every level of a company - craft workers, office workers, supervisors, managers, directors, VPs, C-Suite, owners, BODs, etc. I would say it's a lot harder of a conversation when it's a long-term owner, President, VP, etc as opposed to the new craft workers that's been there 2 weeks.

Dude in the upper right looks like he's been a Penguin FO member for years.
He looks like a Russian rogue electrician.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Erlichman’s background pretty is interesting tbh. Rays are like “the model” for small market baseball and winning via strategy rather than $$ IIRC.
He’s probably why we’re throwing Bemstrom, Glass, Hayes, Beauvillier, PoolParty and 10 other guys out there to compete for NHL spots lol…maybe one will actually progress instead of regress! But they never factor the coach into these musings lol…

Glad we could get some middle aged white dudes jobs in hockey.
Is there anyone else who works in hockey besides the occasional white woman and the black guy to trot out there for days the teams want to honor African-Americans lol?

Reactions: Gurglesons

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I am all for bringing in an analytics guy who will hopefully tell Kyle Dubas to stop doing things like sign Ryan Graves or *insert old ass guy here* though Dubas at least seems to be trending that way this off season anyways

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
He’s probably why we’re throwing Bemstrom, Glass, Hayes, Beauvillier, PoolParty and 10 other guys out there to compete for NHL spots lol…maybe one will actually progress instead of regress! But they never factor the coach into these musings lol…

Is there anyone else who works in hockey besides the occasional white woman and the black guy to trot out there for days the teams want to honor African-Americans lol?
I was talking about this with someone this weekend. I watch a lot of boxing and it’s such polar opposites.

NHL - fourth Hugh’s brother gets drafted, obviously has had PR training as a teenager, shows family celebrating in a mansion.

Boxing - I learned how to fight so I could feed my family and get out extreme poverty.

Unfortunately the economics behind I don’t think it’s changing any time soon. Hockey is a battle for resources, mostly ice time, which is expensive.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Brian Ihnacak has finally returned to the organization.

The dude was double dipping according to his EP page. He was playing in the 3rd tier Italy league while being a Euro scout for Mississauga Steelheads the last 2 years. Straight from the Italy beer leagues to the Pens front office.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Brian Ihnacak has finally returned to the organization.

The dude was double dipping according to his EP page. He was playing in the 3rd tier Italy league while being a Euro scout for Mississauga Steelheads the last 2 years. Straight from the Italy beer leagues to the Pens front office.
Still not a bad life. Imagine getting paid to play and scout hockey while living in Italy.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I am all for bringing in an analytics guy who will hopefully tell Kyle Dubas to stop doing things like sign Ryan Graves or *insert old ass guy here* though Dubas at least seems to be trending that way this off season anyways

To be fair Dubas has to answer to his boss re: roster additions and subtractions. That 7M dollars only buys you so much autonomy on this team, you know.

Reactions: Andy99 and Pancakes

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The Pens hired an analytics guy?

"Here's the deal; we need you to tell us how to win without actually, you know, changing things."

"How much did you say you were going to pay me again?"

"Listen just give Mike a list of new analytics buzzwords he can use after losing yet another pathetic attempt at the sport with his low event bullshit. He's starting to run out of vocabulary and people are getting suspicious that he is utterly out of ideas or maybe didn't actually have any to begin with."

"So a lot, then?"

• Haha
Reactions: GilbertSeinfeld

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad