Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
That sucks ass

Who knows If Columbus even would want to deal with us.

I always feel this energy from them that they would not want to deal with us.

I'd rather have

Rakell + a 2nd for laine
Then
Laine + 2nd for Harris

I remember all the Columbus fans laughing.
I don’t think Columbus was dealing with Pittsburgh. They’ve been desperately trying to be the Pens rivals for over a decade. But it was nice to imagine

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
That's more or less POJ for Laine, 2nd.

Thing was though, Montreal had the cap space. We didn't. With or without Hayes.
Yeah we don't have the cap space so it's kinda irrelevant to bitch about Dubas not trying to do that deal.

I honestly think it's a good deal for both sides. Columbus gets rid of a huge cap hit for a player they really didn't want any more. Montreal gets a guy with high upside and they're not currently competing for a playoff spot so if Laine doesn't work out it's no big deal for them. It's a worthwhile risk.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yeah we don't have the cap space so it's kinda irrelevant to bitch about Dubas not trying to do that deal.

I honestly think it's a good deal for both sides. Columbus gets rid of a huge cap hit for a player they really didn't want any more. Montreal gets a guy with high upside and they're not currently competing for a playoff spot so if Laine doesn't work out it's no big deal for them. It's a worthwhile risk.
Honestly, I'm very back and forth on Laine as well. In a vacuum, I love what he brings because it's something we REALLY need - raw, high-end shooting talent. But then I think about him costing $8.7mil, being a bit lazy, and having issues with two teams already and I wonder if he would have even been worth the headache. The last time we did that, the results were meh (Karlsson).

Now that said, if Dubas was presented with something like Acciari for Laine + 2nd at the draft before he made the Hayes deal and actively did NOT take it in favor of adding Hayes, then I have to sit down and really think it through. At first reaction, I'm pissed. But the more you dig, the more on the fence I am.

Honestly, I probably would have preferred to just sign Sprong for the league minimum.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
You just made that up, no way it exists man, no way.

This is how they are paid

8ce9abc0-d733-4d1c-b15f-156ccd13e74d_text.gif

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

It's true that it's not worth complaining about. Honestly I'm not even a big Laine-gon-bounceback believer. But I dunno... would be nice to take chances (especially considering where the team is currently sitting in the overall picture) on someone with ability as opposed to Kevin flippin' Hayes. Really it's not even about Laine himself so much as how this team clearly views what they want on the roster and do not want. Which is more Hayes/Carter/Harkins types. As much as they can get. Because "low event hockey."

Reactions: Pancakes

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
It's true that it's not worth complaining about. Honestly I'm not even a big Laine-gon-bounceback believer. But I dunno... would be nice to take chances (especially considering where the team is currently sitting in the overall picture) on someone with ability as opposed to Kevin flippin' Hayes. Really it's not even about Laine himself so much as how this team clearly views what they want on the roster and do not want. Which is more Hayes/Carter/Harkins types. As much as they can get. Because "low event hockey."
Did Laine play hockey at Boston?

He has no place in the organization.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
"we don't have the cap space, so hard to bitch about Dubas"

why don't we have the cap space? we still blaming ron hextall?
That's a fair point.

But either way Dubas was unable to make this trade so...whatever. Who cares. It'd be different for me if the Pens actually had the space to make a good move and didn't. They don't. So *shrug*

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
That sucks ass

I don’t think Columbus was dealing with Pittsburgh. They’ve been desperately trying to be the Pens rivals for over a decade. But it was nice to imagine
I don't either. Just funny how I was told my trade was bad. I think the trade they made was even worse.

Honestly, I'm very back and forth on Laine as well. In a vacuum, I love what he brings because it's something we REALLY need - raw, high-end shooting talent. But then I think about him costing $8.7mil, being a bit lazy, and having issues with two teams already and I wonder if he would have even been worth the headache. The last time we did that, the results were meh (Karlsson).

Now that said, if Dubas was presented with something like Acciari for Laine + 2nd at the draft before he made the Hayes deal and actively did NOT take it in favor of adding Hayes, then I have to sit down and really think it through. At first reaction, I'm pissed. But the more you dig, the more on the fence I am.

Honestly, I probably would have preferred to just sign Sprong for the league minimum.

Yep we can't make the trade if it wasn't offerred.

They may have played super hard ball with us and Dubas was like okay I can get a second here *click

Edit: Id also like to repeat

We got a 2nd 2 3rds and a 6th for a 5th round pick.

We did take on Hayes for 2 years at 3.5 and Glass 1 year at 2.5 but we gained a 2nd 2 3rds and a 6th for a 5th.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't either. Just funny how I was told my trade was bad. I think the trade they made was even worse.

Yep we can't make the trade if it wasn't offerred.

They may have played super hard ball with us and Dubas was like okay I can get a second here *click

Edit: Id also like to repeat

We got a 2nd 2 3rds and a 6th for a 5th round pick.

We did take on Hayes for 2 years at 3.5 and Glass 1 year at 2.5 but we gained a 2nd 2 3rds and a 6th for a 5th.

Neat, can't wait to draft Teddy Bleuger 2.0 with those picks.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
Wouldn't surprise me if our organization valued what Hayes brings over what Laine does. Seems to fit Sullivan's MO.
It's not a given that Laine actually brings anything at this point.
He could bounce back, but at $8.7M, that's a big risk to take. It makes much more sense for Montreal to take that risk than us.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
we now have something to to our first to move up..... it's all good

I feel like NHL teams almost never end up moving up in the draft. When is the last time the Penguins even did? Not just that but what team is gonna realistically budge for the sake of an extra 2nd or 3rd? They know those are kinda useless even if Penguins fans suddenly don't. There are probably at least a handful of recent examples that disprove that but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

NHL drafts are almost as boring as Mike Sullivan hockey. Almost.

Last edited:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Askarov is interesting to me because he's highly regarded but his AHL numbers aren't stellar. That's not always a tell-all for success but based on the hype around him I would have expected him to be dominating the AHL and he really isn't.

I'd be hard after him if I were the Devils. They picked up Markstrom but he's old and Askarov would be a great 1b for the future.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad