Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
I just love how the Penguins didn't even clean out their LAST batch of overpaid fourth liners before they brought in a fresh crop.

Youth movement!
Most teams don't have a GM/Coach (the same person, let's be honest) who loves him some fourth liners.

If he could, he'd get rid of those pesky top six forwards and just play four fourth lines.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Most teams don't have a GM/Coach (the same person, let's be honest) who loves him some fourth liners.

If he could, he'd get rid of those pesky top six forwards and just play four fourth lines.
Sullivan won't be completely satisfied with the roster until all 12 forwards are clones of him as a player.

Reactions: Al Smith

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Even just waiving Acciari saves us money if that’s the goal.

Eller has value but he’ll also have value at the deadline. And he’s insurance if Hayes can’t handle 3C.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Even just waiving Acciari saves us money if that’s the goal.

Eller has value but he’ll also have value at the deadline. And he’s insurance if Hayes can’t handle 3C.

If this team waived Acciari, I would be absolutely shocked and love it so much.

McGroarty - Hayes - Puustinen
DOC - Eller - Glass

Now we talking.

The more I look at this roster, there is 0 chance McGroarty is making the NHL squad. Which is kinda hilarious given his alleged complaints about Winnipeg....

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

DOC - Eller - Glass

Now we talking.

The more I look at this roster, there is 0 chance McGroarty is making the NHL squad. Which is kinda hilarious given his alleged complaints about Winnipeg....
The one thing McGroarty has going for him is I bet Sullivan would give him more rope than a guy like Puustinen. So I could see a scenario where if there's only one spot for a "youngster", McGroarty would get it over Puustinen.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Carolina just did it. And form what i understand theres no rules how much cash you can pay later?
In that case give him league min and then drop like 26.1m a bonus after.

Yeah, we are at 15 forward and 7 D with Jarry and Ned and still under the cap.

That is without Nieto on LTIR.

DOC - Sid - Rust
Bunting - Malkin - Rakell
Beauvillier - Hayes - Glass
Lizotte - Eller - Acciari
McGroarty
Puustinen

Pettersson - EK
Gryz - Letang
Graves - St Ivany
Aho

Jarry
Ned

Gives you 800+k
giphy.gif

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Obviously the top end of our forward corps - which was already lacking - took a good hit when Guentzel left that won't be replaced, but our depth has improved.

Barring injuries/someone coming on strong in camp, I could see this being our forward line-up to start:

DOC - Crosby - Rust
McG - Hayes - Puustinen
Beauvillier

AHL: Glass

Sully will likely defer to his top 6 from last year. Hayes's playmaking makes the most sense here as a 3C - McG and Puustinen can add some give a shit/scoring touch/speed. Eller can handle huge defensive deployments, and Lizotte and Acciari bring some 4th line speed/physicality/positional versatility.

Pressbox time won't hurt Beauvillier, but he can sub in as a bottom 6 LW as needed.

Glass seems best served by getting a lot of reps to build confidence in the A - he's not a natural fit anywhere else on the big club right now. If any of the top 3 centers get injured, he'd likely be the guy called up.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Eller is one of those guys who I feel like would have trade deadline value but maybe not start of the season value if that makes sense?

Like if you're making a playoff run Eller is a great trade deadline pickup, but how many teams want to pick up a guy like before the season starts? Most teams are going to be hoping that *insert player that is younger/cheaper* is going to pan out. Then when said player inevitably doesn't they'll be vet hunting at the deadline.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I kind of think they've already made up their mind on McGroarty similar to how they did with Marino and to a lesser extent O'Connor. Sullivan had already seemingly made up his mind on Marino that he was an NHLer by the end of pre-season, and possibly even earlier than that. Guessing part of why they made the trade is because Sullivan approves of his game.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I kind of think they've already made up their mind on McGroarty similar to how they did with Marino and to a lesser extent O'Connor. Sullivan had already seemingly made up his mind on Marino that he was an NHLer by the end of pre-season, and possibly even earlier than that. Guessing part of why they made the trade is because Sullivan approves of his game.
That seems like a huge leap to make based on Farkas' analysis. And even if you don't buy into what Farkas said we are still talking about a kid with zero pro experience.

If they're thinking they can pencil him in without him even playing a game of preseason hockey they're insane. I don't care how well they've scouted him there's no way they can reasonably know what to expect at camp.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
That seems like a huge leap to make based on Farkas' analysis. And even if you don't buy into what Farkas said we are still talking about a kid with zero pro experience.

If they're thinking they can pencil him in without him even playing a game of preseason hockey they're insane. I don't care how well they've scouted him there's no way they can reasonably know what to expect at camp.

You're right.

But I also think Jacob is right.

There is no way they make that trade unless Sullivan is a huge fan IMO. Unless they were just REALLY down on Yager for whatever reason. It doesn't mean that's the smart thing to do. But then again when is the last time "smart" was applied to this coaching staff?

Reactions: Jacob

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
You're right.

But I also think Jacob is right.

There is no way they make that trade unless Sullivan is a huge fan IMO. Unless they were just REALLY down on Yager for whatever reason. It doesn't mean that's the smart thing to do. But then again when is the last time "smart" was applied to this coaching staff?
Why exactly? McGroarty is more highly regarded around the league than Yager. Perhaps not by much, but I think most scouts/fans/etc would consider him the superior prospect based on all I've heard.

Trading Yager straight up for him seemed like a no brainer whether Sullivan likes McGroarty or not. It was basically a one for one for a slightly better prospect. Why not do that?

McGroarty also checks the box of being a year older and thus closer to making an impact at the NHL level. I know we all make fun of this roster's chances of doing anything at all but I do think that Dubas et al still have some intent of putting together a roster that can help Sid in his final years.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Why exactly? McGroarty is more highly regarded around the league than Yager. Perhaps not by much, but I think most scouts/fans/etc would consider him the superior prospect based on all I've heard.

Trading Yager straight up for him seemed like a no brainer whether Sullivan likes McGroarty or not. It was basically a one for one for a slightly better prospect. Why not do that?

McGroarty also checks the box of being a year older and thus closer to making an impact at the NHL level.
I know we all make fun of this roster's chances of doing anything at all but I do think that Dubas et al still have some intent of putting together a roster that can help Sid in his final years.
1. those that have a soap box do.
2. yager plays the primmer position. center has more value than wing. and has the higher upside. while yager lacks strength, McGroarty lacks skating which do you think is the riskier flaw?
3. true, but does that make up the difference?

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Obviously the top end of our forward corps - which was already lacking - took a good hit when Guentzel left that won't be replaced, but our depth has improved.

Barring injuries/someone coming on strong in camp, I could see this being our forward line-up to start:

DOC - Crosby - Rust
McG - Hayes - Puustinen
Beauvillier

AHL: Glass

Sully will likely defer to his top 6 from last year. Hayes's playmaking makes the most sense here as a 3C - McG and Puustinen can add some give a shit/scoring touch/speed. Eller can handle huge defensive deployments, and Lizotte and Acciari bring some 4th line speed/physicality/positional versatility.

Pressbox time won't hurt Beauvillier, but he can sub in as a bottom 6 LW as needed.

Glass seems best served by getting a lot of reps to build confidence in the A - he's not a natural fit anywhere else on the big club right now. If any of the top 3 centers get injured, he'd likely be the guy called up.

I'd be shocked if Sullivan plays Puustinen over Glass tbh.

• Haha
Reactions: Ryder71

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I barely want to watch this team even just to see how McGroarty will do just knowing Sullivan is going to use this lineup like the absolute dumb ass that he is.

DOC - Eller - Glass

Now we talking.

Like this would actually be decent.

I think even if you didn't feel McGroarty was ready in camp and needed some time in the ahl first, you put Hayes with Geno and Rakell and Bunting with Sid and go...

Bunting, Crosby, Rust
Hayes, Malkin, Rakell
O'Connor, Glass/Lizotte/Eller, Puustinen
Beauvillier, Eller/Lizotte, Glass/Lizotte

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm hoping McGroarty can have a similar type of rookie season/impact as Matthew Knies just had in Toronto. Pretty much all season in Toronto's top 9, with a lot of time late in the year with Matthews on the top line.

Of course that will be heavily reliant on him being used properly, which seems to be the biggest hindrance to like 90% of the roster. So we'll see.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'd be shocked if Sullivan plays Puustinen over Glass tbh.
Not much speed on that 3rd line if its Glass with Hayes and McG. Puustinen seems like a good complement there.

Anything but a top 3 center role for Glass seems like a bad fit, and he's a guy we can send down to the minors with full confidence he won't get picked up. And if he does, all the better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad