Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yes, absolutely. Kunitz got it done at both ends, gave the team some snarl, leadership, and boosted morale. Work ethic was never a problem, and he knew how to support top players effectively. You knew you could use him with both Sid and Geno, and it would work.
+126 for Pittsburgh. His PIM count wasn't even that high for us and he drew a ton of penalties too, cuz he pissed guys off. Even his availability was strong, considering his playstyle.

I'd be very happy with this from McGroarty at 5v5:

View attachment 904164

Just get a better return than Whitney and Tangradi.

I thought he was always a bit overrated honestly. A drain on his teammates in the OZ, and too often made small mistakes positionally away from the puck. There are a lot of Penguins goals against in the playoffs those years if you rewatch that happen right after a puzzling decision from #8.

Yeah, his play gets really overblown.

Loved the dude tho.

Absolute stud in 2017’s run.

Reactions: Fordy

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I wore #1 as a forward in high school for a year because it was the only number they had.

#7 was my number though. You’d man Joe Mullen.
#12.... not great but as excited as everyone was for iginla, i could have ran through a wall. and he was my favorite non pens player

Reactions: eXile3

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I thought he was always a bit overrated honestly. A drain on his teammates in the OZ, and too often made small mistakes positionally away from the puck. There are a lot of Penguins goals against in the playoffs those years if you rewatch that happen right after a puzzling decision from #8.
I think Dumo was the right guy at the right time with the right partner at the right cap hit.

He was never a $7M/year kinda guy who you could put on any team and he'd be their top pairing LD and carry the pairing. But he was good and he fit perfectly for what the Pens needed.

Reactions: AjaxTelamon

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens had Cole, Horny at the net, Kunitz with some jam and Sullivan just didn't think that was important to winning. His record since shows that. Dubas is adding some of that and sullivan to me has to grasp todays NHL need to have balance. If he doesn't, then fire him.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Pens had Cole, Horny at the net, Kunitz with some jam and Sullivan just didn't think that was important to winning. His record since shows that. Dubas is adding some of that and sullivan to me has to grasp todays NHL need to have balance. If he doesn't, then fire him.
When your offensive schematic is that dependant on point shots, you goddamn better have good net-front presence.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think Kunitz would be an excellent result for McGroarty, no? My understanding is that his ceiling is projected as a top six winger, which suggests that his potential is a support player.
In a general sense, sure. But when people start tossing out comparables like Jamie Benn, Matthew Tkachuk or Jason Robertson as McGroarty's "upside potential", then Kunitz is a bit of a letdown.

My bigger point is you can't build around a Kunitz. He's a supporting player when you've already got stars/elite players. Those other three names, you can be successful if they're your top or second best player.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
It would be nice to have a young guy whose ceiling doesn't top out at 15G/15A per year.
You can squeeze out 40 points from a lot of guys if you pump the usage. Needs to be worth it though.
On the flipside, Sullivan is fully capable of preventing someone from reaching 30, by putting him in a position to fail.

So let's see how McGroarty is used first.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
In a general sense, sure. But when people start tossing out comparables like Jamie Benn, Matthew Tkachuk or Jason Robertson as McGroarty's "upside potential", then Kunitz is a bit of a letdown.

My bigger point is you can't build around a Kunitz. He's a supporting player when you've already got stars/elite players. Those other three names, you can be successful if they're your top or second best player.
It sounds like, from reading the more knowledgeable takes, people are setting themselves up to be disappointed. McGroarty isn’t a player you build around. The Pens haven’t been in a position to acquire that kind of prospect in quite some time.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
It sounds like, from reading the more knowledgeable takes, people are setting themselves up to be disappointed. McGroarty isn’t a player you build around. The Pens haven’t been in a position to acquire that kind of prospect in quite some time.
14th overall picks from 2005-2015:
Sasha Pokulok, Michael Grabner, Kevin Shattenkirk, Zach Boychuk, Dmitry Kulikov, Jaden Schwartz, Jamie Oleksiak, Zemgus Girgensons, Alex Wennberg, Julius Honka, Jake DeBrusk

A guy like McGroarty can be a solid contributing piece on a Cup contender somewhere, even if he's not a line driver.
There's nothing wrong with that at 14th overall. If people are expecting more then that's on them for not knowing draft history.

Team results are achieved through the cumulative efforts of all the players.
Vegas reached the Finals in 2018 with their top Forward being 23rd in league scoring.
What they lacked in elite talent, they made up for with the high average quality of their depth chart.
The Pens could take the same approach and be successful. They need to keep loading up their farm, as much as they can.

Even if those guys aren't in Pittsburgh by the time the Pens are ready to make deep runs again, they can be traded for players that will be.

Reactions: PenguinSuitedUp

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
So. Sid 3 year 10 m a year. but ha gets 1m/year the first 3 (cap hit) then 27 over 3 years after that since it doesnt count against the cap? Am i understanding it right? That if a player gets paid after the vontract ends, it doesnt count against the cap?

Perfect for FSG to flex their financial muscles then?

Reactions: Andy99

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
So. Sid 3 year 10 m a year. but ha gets 1m/year the first 3 (cap hit) then 27 over 3 years after that since it doesnt count against the cap? Am i understanding it right? That if a player gets paid after the vontract ends, it doesnt count against the cap?

There’s no way that’s CBA compliant.

Reactions: Factorial

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Yep, I love it…then he can transition to coach and finally Sullivan can be fired lol…or who am I kidding…he’ll just be promoted

There’s no way that’s CBA compliant.

I mean I don’t know the parameters of a post contract bonus but didn’t Jarvis and CAR just do something similar to lower his cap hit?

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad