Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
Let’s actually be honest as someone who owns a Dumoulin jersey. He had maybe 3 great years if you are being generous and then was decidedly average and over worshipped by PIT fans and media similarly to what we will see if we re-sign Petts.
Yes but those 3 great years happened when it mattered most.

Yeah i was joking, mostly

Dumo became a pillar for our defense. Imagine trying to win using maatta as your main piece through the years

But yeah once his speed and agility started to dip, he was toast as a mainstay for our broken style of hockey

And he triple-shotted bud lights lol
An icon!

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
The more I watch of McGroarty the more he looks like a guy who's a sidekick on a line to a player like Yager.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
The more I watch of McGroarty the more he looks like a guy who's a sidekick on a line to a player like Yager.

Nah Yager isn’t that great either. He is a side kick as well.

Two different styles but neither is a driver. One who stands in front and one who shoots.

Not comparing but it’s like a Neal and Kunitz. But neither are the Malkin.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I expect McGroarty to turn into a top nine two-way winger with a little bit of a scoring touch. Ideally he'll exceed my expectations and "top nine" turns into "top six".

But even though his skating is a little sketch he seems like a safe bet to be an NHLer based on how he has produced at the college level so far.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
I guess the issue I have with McGroarty isn’t about his skating in isolation. It’s the fact that it is a weakness of his and he’ll be expected to play his way into Sullivan’s lineup. Sullivan isn’t going to want to play a young player who lacks speed.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Is the Milkshake Factory going to go from a Jake Shake to a McGroart Shake 😂

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Injuries hurt Dumo's career big time, but a big part of the hate he got towards the end of his time with the Pens is on Sullivan still treating him like he was a top pairing, 20+min a night, shutdown defenseman still.
It was obvious Dumoulin's skating was not back to normal and Sullivan just kept shoving him out there in minutes he shouldn't be in and made it look far worse than it was. Just an absolute jackass with not understanding his roster and he's been that way the whole tenure.

"Come get our new Throaty McGroarty Shake, with your choice of sloppy toppys!"

*later that day, Shake Shack fired their entire media team*

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Nah Yager isn’t that great either. He is a side kick as well.

Two different styles but neither is a driver. One who stands in front and one who shoots.

Not comparing but it’s like a Neal and Kunitz. But neither are the Malkin.
If he turns into a Kunitz, you can't complain too much. Although it would be slightly disappointing given some talk of him being a potential "building block" type because a guy like Kunitz is a great complimentary player, but you're not a contender if he's your 2nd or 3rd best player.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
I’m just sad we can’t use the “Yagerbomb” or “Yagermeister” nicknames if/when he scored for us.

A “McGroarty” sounds like something you wake up with one morning unexpectedly and need penicillin or pills to get rid of.

Last edited:
Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Must not have watched much Yager lol.
99% of the people posting in here (myself included) know nothing about Yager/McGroarty except what we see on highlight packages and stat pages.

I think we're gonna need to see this kid play preseason games before we can actually start forming real opinions of his readiness. Everything else is just speculation unless you've been religiously watching college hockey games for the past year.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
If he turns into a Kunitz, you can't complain too much. Although it would be slightly disappointing given some talk of him being a potential "building block" type because a guy like Kunitz is a great complimentary player, but you're not a contender if he's your 2nd or 3rd best player.
I think Kunitz would be an excellent result for McGroarty, no? My understanding is that his ceiling is projected as a top six winger, which suggests that his potential is a support player.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
garr-dodgeball.gif

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I think Kunitz would be an excellent result for McGroarty, no? My understanding is that his ceiling is projected as a top six winger, which suggests that his potential is a support player.
Yes, absolutely. Kunitz got it done at both ends, gave the team some snarl, leadership, and boosted morale. Work ethic was never a problem, and he knew how to support top players effectively. You knew you could use him with both Sid and Geno, and it would work.
+126 for Pittsburgh. His PIM count wasn't even that high for us and he drew a ton of penalties too, cuz he pissed guys off. Even his availability was strong, considering his playstyle.

I'd be very happy with this from McGroarty at 5v5:

1725065824844.png

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Injuries hurt Dumo's career big time, but a big part of the hate he got towards the end of his time with the Pens is on Sullivan still treating him like he was a top pairing, 20+min a night, shutdown defenseman still.
I thought he was always a bit overrated honestly. A drain on his teammates in the OZ, and too often made small mistakes positionally away from the puck. There are a lot of Penguins goals against in the playoffs those years if you rewatch that happen right after a puzzling decision from #8.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad