Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Was he a forward or defenseman at the time?
Great point. Upon further research, it was early in the tank season, and I was on a two-year bender at the time so don't have clear recollection, but he is listed on the roster for that season as a "D". McG is indeed setting a new trend.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
1 for goalies
2-6 for d-men
7-9 for forwards

As far as single digits go imo.
And yet in the history of the game many have worn 4, 5, 6 as forwards and what not and then again by younger players in honour of those legends that wore them.

Boom Boom's grandson wore #5, Lecavalier wore 4 for his idol Beliveau, Apps wore 6, and so forth. At the end of the day, it's just a number unless you're honouring something historical like Jagr, or some weird hype train marketing by Mario's agent to flip 99 to 66, or a psycho like Crosby who needs everything to be 87.

I mean it's obvious Rutger McGroarty was a massive Chris Tamer and Josef Melichar fan.

And then I'm just sitting here with my Yager jersey...
Damn mate, really got that one super early huh, lol.

I kind of like that he stuck with #2, if only to just drive fans nuts.

Edit: Also maybe wearing #2 will make us all forget the piece of shit pet that wore it for a while before him that never deserved to play as many games as he did.

Last edited:
Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
O'Connor Crosby Rust
giphy.gif

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
And yet in the history of the game many have worn 4, 5, 6 as forwards and what not and then again by younger players in honour of those legends that wore them.

Boom Boom's grandson wore #5, Lecavalier wore 4 for his idol Beliveau, Apps wore 6, and so forth. At the end of the day, it's just a number unless you're honouring something historical like Jagr, or some weird hype train marketing by Mario's agent to flip 99 to 66, or a psycho like Crosby who needs everything to be 87.

I mean it's obvious Rutger McGroarty was a massive Chris Tamer and Josef Melichar fan.

Damn mate, really got that one super early huh, lol.

I kind of like that he stuck with #2, if only to just drive fans nuts.

His inspiration for wearing it was dutch player Mike Dalhuisen, who played for the Lincoln Stars, who was coached by his dad. Mike was a defenseman as well so he must have left a lasting impression on Rutger.

That's the reason why.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
His inspiration for wearing it was dutch player Mike Dalhuisen, who played for the Lincoln Stars, who was coached by his dad. Mike was a defenseman as well so he must have left a lasting impression on Rutger.

That's the reason why.
When I played Rugby I wore #5 for Ulf, lol. I think it's fun when players wear something unique over the often used numbers for players. Like I am sure some expected him to wear #12 as he's worn it before but he's mostly worn #2 and I like that he stuck with it. When I did play hockey, I was a forward and I wore #3, but I eventually switched to Defense and I guess that number was a lot more normal for that position.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
When I played Rugby I wore #5 for Ulf, lol. I think it's fun when players wear something unique over the often used numbers for players. Like I am sure some expected him to wear #12 as he's worn it before but he's mostly worn #2 and I like that he stuck with it. When I did play hockey, I was a forward and I wore #3, but I eventually switched to Defense and I guess that number was a lot more normal for that position.
I think his 2 numbers have been 2 and 13.

Hayes is 13.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I used to like to wear 67 as a kid because Mario was 66 and Jagr was 68 and clearly I was the missing link between the two to take that line to the next level. Yeah...about that :laugh:

These days I'll usually rock 58 in honor Letang and because I usually play defense.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
I used to like to wear 67 as a kid because Mario was 66 and Jagr was 68 and clearly I was the missing link between the two to take that line to the next level. Yeah...about that :laugh:

These days I'll usually rock 58 in honor Letang and because I usually play defense.
One of the reasons I usually pick 81 is because when I created a player in NHL98 on PC Straka had blocked my top choice of 82

I real life, i was usually right defense, sometimes right wing.. So kinda a high number for defense lol

It always pissed people off when i play soccer, as high numbers are not a thing in that sport

Reactions: Pancakes

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
One of the reasons I usually pick 81 is because when I created a player in NHL98 on PC Straka had blocked my top choice of 82

I real life, i was usually right defense, sometimes right wing.. So kinda a high number for defense lol

It always pissed people off when i play soccer, as high numbers are not a thing in that sport
Soccer needs to branch out with the numbers. It makes it harder to distinguish and memorize players for the fans, when everyone's so congested.
Stupid tradition.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
He's got a terrible f***ing name and a terrible f***ing jersey number.

McG just out here tryna offend as many senses as possible.

If he could somehow transmit a foul odor to viewers of ESPN Plus, I'm sure he'd already be doing it.

• Haha
Reactions: GilbertSeinfeld

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Bit late but if he’s up all year I’d see McGroarty hitting 35-45 points or so. And probably leaning towards the lower end of that.

But I also think having a 20 year old with some upside in the line-up could have some spillover for the whole team. Hopefully add some other younger guys to the mix in camp. And maybe some call-ups mid-season.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad