Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Mine too…went to a friend’s party at the Igloo…I was 9 or 10
I think I've got you beat by a few years, so I'm really old. I think my first live Pens game was '72/'73. Prize antique though is my Pirates program with completed scorecard (well really my Dad's) from the '71 World Series/Game 4.

So when is the prospect's camp. I'm most interested in Pickering. I'm not an expert, but depending on who else is on the WBS roster, I think there's a decent chance he needs to spend some time in the E.

Reactions: Andy99

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
Pffft. I watched on a black and white TV with 4 channels. Had to get your ass up out the chair and change the channel by hand. WPGH only carried a handful of games before Mario and before KBL. Try watching hockey in black and white with "snow" on the screen. :cry: :madfire:
It's what ultimately drove me to strictly radio and Mike Lange. :vhappy:
Until my grandparents got cable with kbl and I was able to sweet talk use of their set for a few hours here and there.

I was a rookie Penguin fan the same year that Mike Lange was a rookie broadcaster for the team (yes I know it wasn't his first job).

TV games were hard to find back in the Paleozoic Era, and I believe they were on WIIC (pre-WPXI) with Sam Nover calling the action.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Well first of all, it’s not very big so there isn’t a ton to do if you’re a bachelor. I personally like the size, but another issue is that there are no other large cities within driving distance. Again that isn’t something that matters to me, but it would matter to others. There’s about 800,000 people. There’s also no hills whatsoever, so if you don’t like flatness then you won’t like Winnipeg. Most people like hills and a coastline if they think of ideal terrain and Winnipeg is the opposite of that.

But the main issue is that most years it is cold from November to March and it’s downtown is an inner city reservation with a meth problem. There is petty crime everywhere within the city now, what used to be confined to the west and north ends is now essentially ubiquitous. And many of the close to 100,000 immigrants that have been dumped there in the last 3 years are legitimate human traffickers with no discernible skills or reason to be there, but have been dumped there so their family can buy cheap (relative to Canada) real estate - so the crime is both increasing and getting more serious and it’s losing it’s one major advantage - affordable living. I have police friends there and they say it’s gotten really bad.

On the plus side, Winnipeg has a lot of attractive females for some reason. The cold filters good genetics I guess. And the summers are short but quite nice.
The funny thing is 20k are happy to see the Bombers but they don't give a shit about the Jets even half as much and the Jets haven't been a bad team either. They weren't great for attendance before and aren't the second time around and the only reason they're not moved is because the owners are billionaires and probably just break even with the team and it's finances.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
I was a rookie Penguin fan the same year that Mike Lange was a rookie broadcaster for the team (yes I know it wasn't his first job).

TV games were hard to find back in the Paleozoic Era, and I believe they were on WIIC (pre-WPXI) with Sam Nover calling the action.
1st actual live game was '83 or '84. A friend and his dad had partial season tickets. His dad parked on whatever side street he could find an open spot on in the Hill to save on parking. A little uneasy on that walk.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012

Some of my best memories as a lad was going to the games for Steelers and Penguins. Even a bunch of Pirates games and listening to the radio at the games with my Sony Walkman.

Even going back and forth to Birmingham, the awe of seeing the pitch at a footy match didn't really mean anything to me, was more for my brother than it was for me.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Well first of all, it’s not very big so there isn’t a ton to do if you’re a bachelor. I personally like the size, but another issue is that there are no other large cities within driving distance. Again that isn’t something that matters to me, but it would matter to others. There’s about 800,000 people. There’s also no hills whatsoever, so if you don’t like flatness then you won’t like Winnipeg. Most people like hills and a coastline if they think of ideal terrain and Winnipeg is the opposite of that.

But the main issue is that most years it is cold from November to March and it’s downtown is an inner city reservation with a meth problem. There is petty crime everywhere within the city now, what used to be confined to the west and north ends is now essentially ubiquitous. And many of the close to 100,000 immigrants that have been dumped there in the last 3 years are legitimate human traffickers with no discernible skills or reason to be there, but have been dumped there so their family can buy cheap (relative to Canada) real estate - so the crime is both increasing and getting more serious and it’s losing it’s one major advantage - affordable living. I have police friends there and they say it’s gotten really bad.

On the plus side, Winnipeg has a lot of attractive females for some reason. The cold filters good genetics I guess. And the summers are short but quite nice.
Thanks. That makes sense. I wouldn’t mind the cold or the size but the rampant crime doesn’t seem appealing.

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
1st actual live game was '83 or '84. A friend and his dad had partial season tickets. His dad parked on whatever side street he could find an open spot on in the Hill to save on parking. A little uneasy on that walk.

I don't remember the year, but my first game was one of those ties vs. Buffalo back when it seemed we used to tie them practically every time we played. I remember the Arena was *freezing* and I think I came down with a cold within the next day or two and tragically had to miss some school. ;)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
My Dad got it like 3 sizes too big as well so my mom had to tuck it in and roll up and pin my sleeves, so that sucked lol.
Oversized clothes always make me think of that hilarious Cosby episode where Denise makes Theo a Gordon Gartrell knock-off. One sleeve is short and the other is down past his hands, while the bottom has to be tucked into his socks.

• Haha
Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Would be good to wait until the deadline with DOC, to boost his value. He's likely about to get a regular spot in the top-six this year.
Totally down for trading him later though. Not keen on re-signing unless he's gonna outplay his cap hit and be traded later.
I think he's going to get barely any top 6 time personally. Bunting has one of the LW spots on lock. I wouldn't put it last Sully and Quinn to move Hayes to LW with Malkin as well if McGroarty doesn't work out by making the roster.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think he's going to get barely any top 6 time personally. Bunting has one of the LW spots on lock. I wouldn't put it last Sully and Quinn to move Hayes to LW with Malkin as well if McGroarty doesn't work out by making the roster.
Beauvillier is a LW as well and I imagine he'll get time there unless someone nails that spot down

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Beauvillier is a LW as well and I imagine he'll get time there unless someone nails that spot down
All Beauvillier needs to do is out play Acciari. If he can't do that, then he's not only the loser that couldn't get a date with Anna Kendrick, he'll be the wanker that couldn't even beat Noel Acciari.

Reactions: Pancakes

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
O'Connor Crosby Rust
Bunting Malkin Rakell
Beauvillier Hayes McGroarty
Lizotte Eller Glass
Acciari Puljujarvi

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I think Eller will be traded before the puck drops. Dubas and Spezza also want more grit and balance to the roster and sullivan will not be the head coach who gets to make his preferred rag dolled roster be hammered again.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
bugging-eye-daria.gif

"That is CHAD'S number!" - Sullivan upon learning of McGroarty's jersey choice

Enjoy being centered by Hayes all year, kid. You f***ed up and it's not even camp yet. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad