Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I was pretty young but more or less, that 89 team was a one-line team. It was Mario on a rampage and everyone else was a passenger. Coffey did his part on the backend and Rob Brown made the most of it. Beyond that, it was ten tonnes of mediocrity. Maybe reminds me of the 2012 team where it was Kunitz-Malkin-Neal and then a bunch of crap. You had Malkin on a rampage, Neal riding shotgun, and Letang doing his thing on the backend.

Come 1990-91, they had made some good trades that really bolstered the quality of the depth. They now had Recchi, Mullen, Stevens, Trottier, a rookie Jagr (who was potting as many points as a 18yo as anyone on the 89 team not named Mario or Brown). Then they made the Francis trade. That REALLY solidified the forward group. Cullen was good but I never thought he had that "oomphf", ya know? Francis was a whole different ballgame. That's like going from Staal as your 2C to Bergeron.

You also had Badger Bob Johnson as the head coach which helped a lot too. I can't remember who the 89 coach was Badger Bob was as much of a star on that 91 team as anyone. Think Sullivan circa 2016/17. He was the perfect personality and coach for that team at that time.

Those late 80s and early 90s teams were fun to follow. It started to get tough after Mario left. Up until 97-98, they still made awesome player-for-player trades. They never really solved goaltending, though. After Mario left, it got tougher. They were a top 6 plus shit team. Mario's coming back helped the forward group a ton, but everything else was still mediocre at best. Tough for them to compete against the higher salary roll teams. 2001 was still a heart break for me and I wish it would have ended different for that team but we did get to see Bourque raise the cup which was an all-time hockey moment. Tough to stay if I would give that moment up for another Pens cup.

I didn't start following hockey/Pens until 88 (I was 10 years old) and I lived about 4 hours away from Pittsburgh. My dad grew up in Pittsburgh and it seemed like at least twice a month we'd visit his family on weekend trips. We'd typically go watch a Pens and Steelers game on those weekends.

Anyway, back to the turnaround. People don't realize that Cullen was pretty damn good when Mario went down. Trading him was extremely ballsy and a bunch of people thought it was a major mistake. But you have to have risk this stuff for a shot at glory. The Francis trade was what catapulted them from middling to "wow this team is pretty damn good"

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I was born in 88. The Pens being good and winning the Cups in the early 90s played a big role in me becoming a fan. Kevin Stevens was my favorite player. Mostly because we have the same first name, but him actually being good helped too.

And then all of the hockey video games on GameCube and Xbox kept my interest when the Pens were poopy for that brief little bit.

I'm pretty sure the most games I've been to during a season was the 03-04 season. My dad's company had season tickets but no one wanted to go. Well I did and I went to a lot of games then. And the seats were behind the opposition's penalty box.

Even when I had partial season tickets I didn't go as much as I did in 03-04. :laugh:

Here's some pictures from the game when the power went out (not the 03-04 season... I think):

1928818_570744860654_1261_n.jpg

1928818_570744920534_4742_n.jpg

1928818_570745095184_5718_n.jpg

The last photo is when the power went out and emergency stuff kicked on.

Last edited:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
All joking aside 2 on a forward sucks. :laugh:

Also, I became a fan in the late 90s when family from the Pittsburgh area brought me a Jagr jersey to a family reunion since they knew I liked/was playing hockey. Never saw the early 90s teams or prime Mario, so Jagr was my guy growing up. Been a fan since.

No idea why anyone cares about bandwagon fans though. It's just sports, it ain't that deep. :laugh:

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Those weird numbers make sense if you’re playing on some Canadian team that retired every single player that played for them before 1990. We have a ton of #s available.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad