Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Why exactly? McGroarty is more highly regarded around the league than Yager. Perhaps not by much, but I think most scouts/fans/etc would consider him the superior prospect based on all I've heard.

Trading Yager straight up for him seemed like a no brainer whether Sullivan likes McGroarty or not. It was basically a one for one for a slightly better prospect. Why not do that?

McGroarty also checks the box of being a year older and thus closer to making an impact at the NHL level. I know we all make fun of this roster's chances of doing anything at all but I do think that Dubas et al still have some intent of putting together a roster that can help Sid in his final years.

There's nothing wrong with the trade. But it wasn't some rip off in favor of the Penguins, either. It was a fair value hockey trade. I think the Penguins like it because of a mix of NHL readiness and the profile of the player in question which suits Sullivan's style better. The Jets like it because Yager is frankly a higher ceiling player (with maybe a lower chance of reaching it) than Groats and they don't mind him marinating for another year. I would not call it a no-brainer though... regardless of what the talking heads have to say. It seems to me like a trade of basically the same level of prospect but with different attributes. Attributes that this team... and especially Mike Sullivan who runs this team... likes better.

I don't understand how anyone could look at what Dubas has done this year and seriously think he has any real intentions of competing. Sid (who still doesn't have a contract extension BTW) is penciled in to start this year with DOC on his left wing and 38 year old Malkin who himself is probably cooked will be starting with Ricky Raks and a guy who was a third/fourth liner last year and we're all hoping and praying somehow has suddenly found a ~PPG touch. But I'm not really in the mood to shit all over everyone's offseason hopes and dreams either so I suppose we'll see. But on the face of things this roster is sad... with the exception of possible better depth. Whether or not that depth is actually used is another thing entirely, of course.

The more I look at the Groat/Yager trade the more it looks like a "skills for intangibles" swap. Which I generally hate. But hey if he turns out to be exactly what the doctor ordered for this team (think Neal for Horns) then I'll gladly eat a plate of crow on that opinion. Either way unless he's a bonafide superstar it won't matter enough to argue over regardless. Neither he nor Yager are foundational pieces IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nfumass and Andy99

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
There's nothing wrong with the trade. But it wasn't some rip off in favor of the Penguins, either. It was a fair value hockey trade. I think the Penguins like it because of a mix of NHL readiness and the profile of the player in question which suits Sullivan's style better. The Jets like it because Yager is frankly a higher ceiling player (with maybe a lower chance of reaching it) than Groats and they don't mind him marinating for another year. I would not call it a no-brainer though... regardless of what the talking heads have to say. It seems to me like a trade of basically the same level of prospect but with different attributes. Attributes that this team... and especially Mike Sullivan who runs this team... likes better.

I don't understand how anyone could look at what Dubas has done this year and seriously think he has any real intentions of competing. Sid (who still doesn't have a contract extension BTW) is penciled in to start this year with DOC on his left wing and 38 year old Malkin who himself is probably cooked will be starting with Ricky Raks and a guy who was a third/fourth liner last year and we're all hoping and praying somehow has suddenly found a ~PPG touch. But I'm not really in the mood to shit all over everyone's offseason hopes and dreams either so I suppose we'll see. But on the face of things this roster is sad... with the exception of possible better depth. Whether or not that depth is actually used is another thing entirely, of course.

The more I look at the Groat/Yager trade the more it looks like a "skills for intangibles" swap. Which I generally hate. But hey if he turns out to be exactly what the doctor ordered for this team (think Neal for Horns) then I'm thrilled to be wrong. Either way unless he's a bonafide superstar it won't matter enough to argue over regardless. Neither he nor Yager are foundational pieces IMO.
For a guy who supposedly loves playing for this coach, it's certainly taking Sid a long time to sign that extension, eh?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
For a guy who supposedly loves playing for this coach, it's certainly taking Sid a long time to sign that extension, eh?

I've never bought into this idea that Sid is all googly-eyed for Sullivan.

I just think he's not one to meddle. In this instance frustratingly so. He can't really win, though. If he goes on record about being unhappy with the coach's role in the team's decline then he's a crybaby coach-killer or whatever. I'm quite sure he rolls his eyes at his boss every bit as much as we all do.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024

I just think he's not one to meddle. In this instance frustratingly so. He can't really win, though. If he goes on record about being unhappy with the coach's role in the team's decline then he's a crybaby coach-killer or whatever. I'm quite sure he rolls his eyes at his boss every bit as much as we all do.
If we see him flip out on Sullivan the way he did at Bylsma towards the end of the latter's tenure, we'll know Crosby is done with him.

That's still one of my all time favorite Sid moments.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
If we see him flip out on Sullivan the way he did at Bylsma towards the end of the latter's tenure, we'll know Crosby is done with him.

That's still one of my all time favorite Sid moments.

lol yeah

He's probably at the point in his life/career re: stuff like that where he's like "I'm too old for this shit" and just shrugs and takes the next shift. People can hate him for that and I am as done with Sullivan as anyone but in the end it's not HIS job to hold the coach responsible for his shortcomings.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Not much speed on that 3rd line if its Glass with Hayes and McG. Puustinen seems like a good complement there.

Anything but a top 3 center role for Glass seems like a bad fit, and he's a guy we can send down to the minors with full confidence he won't get picked up. And if he does, all the better.

Puustinen's top speed last year according to NHL Edge was 22.25 mph. Glass's was 21.95 mph.

Not sure there is a large difference in speed between them two.

Also, if we are talking what I'd do, I'd have Puustinen in the line-up. But Mike Sullivan is our coach and he's made his opinion on Puustinen pretty well know IMO.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
lol yeah

He's probably at the point in his life/career re: stuff like that where he's like "I'm too old for this shit" and just shrugs and takes the next shift. People can hate him for that and I am as done with Sullivan as anyone but in the end it's not HIS job to hold the coach responsible for his shortcomings.
This is one of those times I wish the Pens had a media like in Toronto where they actually questioned the coach, instead of being buddy/buddy with him.

Heck, I'd even take an Arthur Staple type.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
This is one of those times I wish the Pens had a media like in Toronto where they actually questioned the coach, instead of being buddy/buddy with him.

Heck, I'd even take an Arthur Staple type.

We definitely need more pointed questions on this team's eating habits.

I want more candid photos of Letang blasting down a clutch of street tacos before the game with a big headline the next day (after they lose) that reads something like "TANGER TEARIN' UP TACO TUESDAYS" with an unflattering picture of him from a bad angle that implies a gut.

• Haha
Reactions: GilbertSeinfeld

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
1. those that have a soap box do.
2. yager plays the primmer position. center has more value than wing. and has the higher upside. while yager lacks strength, McGroarty lacks skating which do you think is the riskier flaw?
3. true, but does that make up the difference?
1. I'm not sure what you're referring to here. Neutral sources generally favor McGroarty over Yager as well. I'm not just talking blowhards like Yohe or DK or whoever.

2. I'm not convinced Yager projects as a center at the NHL level. Not sure he has the compete or the physicality for it. Seems more like a wing to me but we'll see.

3. Make up the difference for what? If McGroarty is the superior prospect (and most seem to think he is) why not make this deal?

The more I look at the Groat/Yager trade the more it looks like a "skills for intangibles" swap. Which I generally hate. But hey if he turns out to be exactly what the doctor ordered for this team (think Neal for Horns) then I'll gladly eat a plate of crow on that opinion. Either way unless he's a bonafide superstar it won't matter enough to argue over regardless. Neither he nor Yager are foundational pieces IMO.
I don't think it was a rip off. It was a fairly equal deal. Perhaps weighted a bit in our favor as most consider McGroarty the better prospect.

Not sure I buy Yager having a higher ceiling. Better skater, perhaps better shot, but weaker physically and smaller. Perhaps Yager will bulk up in time and lessen those physical differences. They are a year apart in age.

I don't think Dubas has a sincere belief in competing this year, but I do think he wants to rebuild as fast as possible and he's hoping to be able to put together a competitive roster within the next few years. Why do I think that? Because even when Dubas goes for futures, he goes for guys who are already established prospects. He could have had a first for Guentzel but instead went for a bunch of prospects who have already had development. Why do that if not because he wants to speed up the rebuild and get guys onto the roster before Sid retires? This McGroarty trade follows a similar train of thought: by getting a prospect that is a year older and has played at a higher level (college vs major juniors) Dubas is banking on McGroarty making a difference sooner than Yager would have.

As to your last point, I think you're underselling McGroarty's skill level. He's produced quite well at the college level so far.

I do agree that unless Dubas hits a home run and has one of our prospects turn into a superstar it won't matter. Let's say McGroarty turns into a solid top six forward. Great. What else do we have to replace Sid? We'll still be really bad once Sid retires unless Dubas makes some great trades/gets unexpected free agent help. This "rebuild on the fly" business is going to require some luck. The Rangers for example got that by having Shesterkin turn into a star and by having Adam Fox fall into their lap, and also by having guys like Panarin wanting to go there. We will need similar amounts of luck to not bottom out.

It is kinda crazy that he hasn't signed yet. If he's not signed by the time camp starts he's going to get bombarded by questions from reporters and it's going to happen daily. And the Canadian media will harass him endlessly.

Only a few weeks until camp, no? Strange shit.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
He sees that this team isn't going anywhere, he should head to COL in a massive trade that bolsters the Pens future.

Sticking around here will just further tarnish his legacy.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Puustinen's top speed last year according to NHL Edge was 22.25 mph. Glass's was 21.95 mph.

Not sure there is a large difference in speed between them two.

Also, if we are talking what I'd do, I'd have Puustinen in the line-up. But Mike Sullivan is our coach and he's made his opinion on Puustinen pretty well know IMO.
Enh, some players take some chugging to get to their top speed. Don't think I'd use that as a gauge for how fast a player generally plays. Puusty seemed to get around pretty good and I'd heard Glass' skating wasn't a strength, but maybe I'm not giving him enough credit.

Like you say though, your take is based on what Sully would do.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I doubt the kid even makes the team. He’s a good choice for where he was taken but he’s not ready for Mike Sullivan hockey. Remember, that Mike will always play the 35 year old journeyman over a kid no matter their difference in potential.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Enh, some players take some chugging to get to their top speed. Don't think I'd use that as a gauge for how fast a player generally plays. Puusty seemed to get around pretty good and I'd heard Glass' skating wasn't a strength, but maybe I'm not giving him enough credit.

skating speeds can be very misleading. some players are at top speed in two strides. while others take much longer to get there.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I'm hoping McGroarty can have a similar type of rookie season/impact as Matthew Knies just had in Toronto. Pretty much all season in Toronto's top 9, with a lot of time late in the year with Matthews on the top line.

Of course that will be heavily reliant on him being used properly, which seems to be the biggest hindrance to like 90% of the roster. So we'll see.
Except with his skating, it'd be wiser to use him on the powerplay and with Geno or the third line as the Crosby line might just make things worse for him when Sid and Rust speed off and for basically his entire career - Crosby has been someone that at worst needed someone that can at least skate. Which is why Dupuis, Rust, Kunitz, EROD, Canner, etc were all his wingers.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012

The dipshit Penguins media would make up excuses with coaches by saying Crosby didn't like them or this or that. I remember they tried to do that with Bylsma and yet blokes want to say with the way this team has been trending that Sid is just hunky dory about it all? The narrative that Sid loves Sully is pushed by twats like Rossi and Yohe. I mocked it for a long time but I don't even have the energy to do it anymore.

Sullivan sticking around is purely because the weasel got in with FSG the moment they took over. Going above the managements heads to get his extension and get into their heads to the point they basically asked him how to fix shit. Bloke can't even f***ing fix his own system.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA

I think you’re selling Glass short.

His issues have largely been horrific injury throughout his career. This is a top ten 1st who had a breakout season just one year ago.

Not expecting him to be a mountain mover here, but as a young player in the same age group as Poulin, Puustinen and DOC, I think he’s got the largest upside of that group tbh.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

His issues have largely been horrific injury throughout his career. This is a top ten 1st who had a breakout season just one year ago.

Not expecting him to be a mountain mover here, but as a young player in the same age group as Poulin, Puustinen and DOC, I think he’s got the largest upside of that group tbh.
I think he's a solid target as a reclamation project. But not in any old spot. Seems like a natural center, and not one for the 4th line.

I know Nashville saw him as having a decent shot at the 2C role before his injuries early last year, and I could see him developing into a 3C at some point.

That's why I'd just try to stash him in the A to start the year and build some confidence. Seems like a kid who can struggle with that.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I doubt the kid even makes the team. He’s a good choice for where he was taken but he’s not ready for Mike Sullivan hockey. Remember, that Mike will always play the 35 year old journeyman over a kid no matter their difference in potential.

Coach's are always going to put out the players that will win them the present game, not worry about younger players developing and maybe contributing 50 games from now. It sets a bad example in any sport when players who've worked hard and deserve a spot get benched for potential. That's not the kind of message any team wants and it's up to the GM to take away roadblocks (older players) that prevent younger players getting game time. If Sullivan plays Acciari over McGroarty because he thinks it'll result in a better chance of winning game 1, that's 100% the fault of the GM.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I think he's a solid target as a reclamation project. But not in any old spot. Seems like a natural center, and not one for the 4th line.

I know Nashville saw him as having a decent shot at the 2C role before his injuries early last year, and I could see him developing into a 3C at some point.

That's why I'd just try to stash him in the A to start the year and build some confidence. Seems like a kid who can struggle with that.

I dunno. I see Jared McCann a lot in his game in terms of what he was before he came here not in terms of play but just pedigree and expectations.

He’s a tweener. If the Penguins support him right and he can stay healthy I think he could easily turn into a 20-20 guy on the wing or in the dot.

I’d honestly hope they’d put him on Geno or Sid’s RW heading into training camp. He’s got huge IQ and is a solid forechecker.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012

His breakout year was him getting loads of top 6 time and barely out producing what Eller put up last season as a 34yr old. Parssinen has already put up better ppg stats than him as a 7th rounder, Puustinen has already produced at a better career clip. This is more about where Glass was taken in the draft than his actual pedigree, because what he's shown isn't much and he's likely going to get gifted a spot because of his draft status more than anything.

If Glass is battling it out with Puljujarvi for the 4th line RW, fine, whatever. But we all know he's going to be looked at by Sullivan for reasons not to play Puustinen and it can be the slightest thing imaginable. The funniest shit about Cody Glass is that Vegas didn't want to give him up for Patches and instead gave up Suzuki, lol.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
His breakout year was him getting loads of top 6 time and barely out producing what Eller put up last season as a 34yr old. Parssinen has already put up better ppg stats than him as a 7th rounder, Puustinen has already produced at a better career clip. This is more about where Glass was taken in the draft than his actual pedigree, because what he's shown isn't much and he's likely going to get gifted a spot because of his draft status more than anything.

If Glass is battling it out with Puljujarvi for the 4th line RW, fine, whatever. But we all know he's going to be looked at by Sullivan for reasons not to play Puustinen and it can be the slightest thing imaginable. The funniest shit about Cody Glass is that Vegas didn't want to give him up for Patches and instead gave up Suzuki, lol.

Weird how you aren’t going to extend the same takes you throw at every young player to Glass. Especially given his injury history.

Also weird how Glass being used in a 2C role is a negative.

• Wow
Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Sid pretty much got rid of MJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad