Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don’t hate our roster except for the goaltending tandem. I wouldn’t have brought Ned back.
LW1 is a pretty glaring hole. If Sid is still good enough to carry around Rust and DOC/McGroartyBeauvillier/whoever, then maybe they could sneak into the playoffs with an improved PP. Wouldn't give them more than a "anything can happen" chance if they were able to get in, though.

Ned vs. anybody else they gave that contract to is pretty insignificant IMO. Jarry is the problem with the goaltending tandem due to cap hit vs. performance.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It's gonna be hilarious when age catches up to Sid and this team has to lean on secondary scoring, goaltending and coaching. Fast track to a top-5 pick. :laugh:
1725378462940.png

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Ned vs. anybody else they gave that contract to is pretty insignificant IMO. Jarry is the problem with the goaltending tandem due to cap hit vs. performance.
Agree re: Jarry. But you can’t pull that lever and get rid of him.

Hence my thinking Ned ain’t the guy to take games off him. Hope I’m wrong.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish

The Canadian media has already begun the circus. If this drags into camp and the season, it's gonna become a shitshow
I’m surprised it took this long. If Sid isn’t signed after camp is over, he’s not retiring a Penguin. He wouldn’t deal with the media circus unless he didn’t want to stay here.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I’m surprised it took this long. If Sid isn’t signed after camp is over, he’s not retiring a Penguin. He wouldn’t deal with the media circus unless he didn’t want to stay here.
Yeah it really does feel like the beginning of the season is the cutoff. Sid should essentially be getting a blank cheque so I don't get what's taking so long.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Penguins roster isn't worse than what it was for the second half of last year but that's not exactly high praise either. Without that lightning hot run, that team was a .500 team for most of last season.

I think they're realistically sitting in about the same spot as they were last year: picking in the 10-16 spot in the draft while having a chance at making the playoffs as a wildcard team.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The Penguins roster isn't worse than what it was for the second half of last year but that's not exactly high praise either. Without that lightning hot run, that team was a .500 team for most of last season.

I think they're realistically sitting in about the same spot as they were last year: picking in the 10-16 spot in the draft while having a chance at making the playoffs as a wildcard team.

I still stand by the fact this team is going to be annoyingly good next year just to further muddy our future path.

On top of it watch Sully win the Adams if they are good.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I still stand by the fact this team is going to be annoyingly good next year just to further muddy our future path.

On top of it watch Sully win the Adams if they are good.

I don't think that's a crazy stretch, the team is a good powerplay away from challenging for 2nd or 3rd in the division. I doubt it gets fixed but it's an obvious area that will massively improve the team.

I'm perfectly fine with them being halfway decent, I just don't want them spending futures on win-now pieces unless those win-now pieces are very young. I'm going to be annoyed if they're sitting 3rd in the division at the deadline and then throw around some 2nds and prospects to add rentals.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I don't think that's a crazy stretch, the team is a good powerplay away from challenging for 2nd or 3rd in the division. I doubt it gets fixed but it's an obvious area that will massively improve the team.

I'm perfectly fine with them being halfway decent, I just don't want them spending futures on win-now pieces unless those win-now pieces are very young. I'm going to be annoyed if they're sitting 3rd in the division at the deadline and then throw around some 2nds and prospects to add rentals.

Or just their shooting percentage evening out for a year.

I'm always rooting for the Penguins to win, plus Crosby in the playoffs means he potentially works his way into the top 5 all time in terms of scoring.

The metro in general f***ing blows. Devils and Rangers are the cream of the crop and I am not really impressed at all by their rosters.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Agree re: Jarry. But you can’t pull that lever and get rid of him.

Hence my thinking Ned ain’t the guy to take games off him. Hope I’m wrong.
For the cap hit, I don't think you're getting a guy who can replace Jarry. You're getting a backup. I think if you put any of the other available backups on this team and then ask them to be the defacto starter for the last 2 months, you're probably going to get equally mid stats.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
For the cap hit, I don't think you're getting a guy who can replace Jarry. You're getting a backup. I think if you put any of the other available backups on this team and then ask them to be the defacto starter for the last 2 months, you're probably going to get equally mid stats.

Jarry is a defacto starter?

Could've fooled me.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Or just their shooting percentage evening out for a year.
I know we assume this is bound to happen, but there's also the option of, it stays low because there aren't a ton of finishers on the roster and we don't generate a ton of high-danger chances (the former is def true, I may be mistaken on the latter).

But yeah, I still root for playoffs as long as Sid is on the roster.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Regarding Crosby's extension, I wouldn't be surprised if Crosby was the kind of person to just go completely off the grid in the off-season and will just end up signing his extension as soon as he gets back to Pittsburgh for training camp. I think the last update we had with him was him with Team Canada's soccer team in early July, no? It's not like he's in the news for being out and about while nothing is happening with his extension, it's pretty much been dead silent for any talk about him.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I know we assume this is bound to happen, but there's also the option of, it stays low because there aren't a ton of finishers on the roster and we don't generate a ton of high-danger chances (the former is def true, I may be mistaken on the latter).

But yeah, I still root for playoffs as long as Sid is on the roster.

I'm not defending HDCF, but according to NST we are top 5 in that stat at 5v5.

I'm also not saying the shooting percentage will even out. Just wouldn't shock me if it did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad