Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Dang, I know we all wanted him back:

@Honour Over Glory wanted to wear his hoodie to a game. Sorry mate.

IMG_5848.jpeg

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I know we assume this is bound to happen, but there's also the option of, it stays low because there aren't a ton of finishers on the roster and we don't generate a ton of high-danger chances (the former is def true, I may be mistaken on the latter).

But yeah, I still root for playoffs as long as Sid is on the roster.

The Penguins were actually a good offensive team at 5v5 last year, they finished 6th in GF. Their shooting% issue comes from having an atrociously bad powerplay.

They finished 6th in 5v5 GF with the 17th best 5v5 shooting% (8.48%), while they finished 28th in powerplay GF with the 31st best shooting% (9.66%).

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
Regarding Crosby's extension, I wouldn't be surprised if Crosby was the kind of person to just go completely off the grid in the off-season and will just end up signing his extension as soon as he gets back to Pittsburgh for training camp. I think the last update we had with him was him with Team Canada's soccer team in early July, no? It's not like he's in the news for being out and about while nothing is happening with his extension, it's pretty much been dead silent for any talk about him.
I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he’s struggling to decide how much longer he wants to play and is taking the time to figure that out. Can’t imagine it’s the $$$ that’s the hold up. Then both sides will reconvene a couple days before camp and get it done.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
The Penguins were actually a good offensive team at 5v5 last year, they finished 6th in GF. Their shooting% issue comes from having an atrociously bad powerplay.

They finished 6th in 5v5 GF with the 17th best 5v5 shooting% (8.48%), while they finished 28th in powerplay GF with the 31st best shooting% (9.66%).

It will continue to be crap next season too.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
If a team was offering a 2nd or something for Eller right now, I think he'd be gone. Eller is just not significant enough for teams to give up assets for at this point. Most teams either already have someone they can try and/or don't have the cap space.

There will be underperformers and injuries that will lead to teams looking for help at the deadline. Eller, assuming healthy and playing well, will draw more interest then.
Yep, that's my stance. I think Eller could potentially bring back a second or third at the deadline if he has a similar season this year. But nobody is going to be throwing Dubas that kind of return prior to the season starting.

Teams are going to try to bank on their own cheap/young solutions to try and fill the role Eller provides. And then by the deadline there will be a team or two with injuries or who simply want depth or who find that the cheap/young solution they tried at the start of the season isn't working out the way they hoped, and it's at that point that they'd spring for Eller, assuming he's available.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Eller probably staying for now especially with what Hayes is going through. Who knows how that will affect him.

Please move Acciari right meow! Any need the cap floor?

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Eller probably staying for now especially with what Hayes is going through. Who knows how that will affect him.

Please move Acciari right meow! Any need the cap floor?
I'm not saying 'no', but the Pens got picks back to take on contracts like Acciari's and they don't have anything to spend the cap space on.

Reactions: Factorial

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I still don't think Sid will play for another team. I just think this is Sid finally realizing that this team's dead and buried as far as chances to compete go, and he's wrestling with how long he wants to keep getting the shit kicked out of him from October to early May each year for no shot at a Cup.

But if he does want to be traded or walks, oh well. I stopped being weirdly parasocial toward athletes when I was 15 and they traded Jagr. :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah! I root for the JERSEY!

Having Sid pull up stakes for the last few years of his career because the team is a giant stinking pile of indecisive trash would be secretly SO rad! But only to me because I'm so cool and detached and stuff. It would rule if they somehow got a second round pick out of it, though.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
"Some guy I've never met and has no clue I exist might play a couple years of hockey for another team, the horror." :laugh:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I get what BFD is saying. It's not going to ruin my life if Sid gets traded or retires.

But I'm not some detached robot watching sports. I will feel some emotions about it. Why even watch if sports doesn't touch some part of your jaded soul?

Some people take it too far what with smashing shit when their team loses and what not but still. It's totally fine to feel emotions about sports.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Weird how you aren’t going to extend the same takes you throw at every young player to Glass. Especially given his injury history.

Also weird how Glass being used in a 2C role is a negative.
I already stated that at best I think Glass should be used as a C. I think Hayes is more than likely going to be used as a winger and in that case, I have zero issues with Glass. Like I said, if he's there to ease in and figure his game out on the 4th line or as a 3c or whatever, fine, but to move him to RW is a bad move and I'm not a fan of that at all. Like I mentioned before, his breakout year was as a C, it's his natural position, he is comfortable there and can get better at faceoffs. Hayes to me at this stage is better as a winger and I think I can see Hayes-Malkin-Rakell being a thing and doing well. Do I think Rutger should start on the big club? No, I think on a shit show team like this, I would rather he started in WBS, in the first dozen games if he goes at a ppg or above, call his ass up and if DOC isn't showing improvement over last year and Beauvillier isn't showing he's any sort of player to keep around, move one or both.

I don't have anything against Glass as a C.

As a RW, I do.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I'm fine with that. I was just saying that Toronto utilized Knies in a way I don't have confidence that Sullivan will utilize McGroarty.

For instance, Knies most common linemates last year at 5on5 were Matthews and Marner the most, then Nylander, then a bit of a drop to where Kampf, Tavares and Domi follow. The fact he spent a big chunk of the season either on the top or second line, with the occasional shifts with the checkers (Kampf, Holmberg) is the kind of usage we don't get from Sullivan.

Instead, if Sullivan was coaching the Leafs Knies would have played 80% of his games next to Kampf with maybe a game or two next to Matthews and Tavares. Which is what I expect to see McGroarty get, if he makes the team at all.
Knies is also bigger and faster, drafted later and a year before but his development has been very good for his rise in their ranks. Rutger has the way higher ceiling and is just marginally smaller, but his speed is where Knies has him beat. When you have a 6'3" bloke with a good touch around the net and is fine playing a heavy game as well as being able to really skate, you can plug that player in anywhere in the top 9. Rutger has his skating as a bit of an issue and I think throwing him into WBS to start the year and asses at the 6 game mark and 12 game mark to see where he's at is smarter. If he's able to keep up in the AHL or just blows everyone away in pre-season fine, leave the lad up.

But I really don't think keeping Doc or Beauvillier is even worth it. Because at that point I would see the LW depth as:

Bunting
Hayes - Interchangeable with Rutger
McGroarty
Doc/Beauvllier/Lizotte

I would run the line-up as follows:

Bunting, Crosby, Rust
Hayes/McGroarty, Malkin, Rakell
McGroarty/Hayes, Glass, Puustinen
O'Connor, Eller, Lizotte

Sid pretty much got rid of MJ.
MJ got rid of MJ. Ironically, Sullivan is doing more dumb shit than MJ did, in the last 7 seasons and has only earned more praise lol.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I get what BFD is saying. It's not going to ruin my life if Sid gets traded or retires.

But I'm not some detached robot watching sports. I will feel some emotions about it. Why even watch if sports doesn't touch some part of your jaded soul?

Some people take it too far what with smashing shit when their team loses and what not but still. It's totally fine to feel emotions about sports.
I like Sid. I think he's special in that he's one of a very few athletes (in any sport) who has not only met but exceeded -impossible- expectations placed on him at an extremely young age, he's a top-5 player all time imo, and he's done so while being a fantastic human by all accounts.

But I don't really care if he wants to play somewhere else. It'd be because this team's dogshit and he wants to win in the final few years of his career. That's the more upsetting part (that the team's been mismanaged by ownership and multiple FO regimes to the point of Sid wanting out, if he eventually does) than a dude wanting to chase one last Cup after playing here for 20 years. /shrug

Last edited:
Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia

What about the emotion of being happy for him for being free from this circus?
He is about to finish his career with 10 straight years without a series victory, if he stays. Personally not too thrilled about that. Wanna see him on deep playoff runs, where he belongs.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I like Sid. I think he's special in that he's one of a very few athletes (in any sport) who has not only met but exceeded -impossible- expectations placed on him at an extremely young age, he's a top-5 player all time imo, and he's done so while being a fantastic human by all accounts.

But I don't really care if he wants to play somewhere else. It'd be because this team's dogshit and he wants to win in the final few years of his career. That's the more upsetting part (that the team's been mismanaged by ownership and multiple FO regimes to the point of Sid wanting out, if he eventually does) than a dude wanting to chase one last Cup after playing here for 20 years. /shrug
If Sid wants it then fair enough. And yes it does suck that management has bungled things so badly that they cost him at least two playoff appearances the past two years by putting out bad rosters/sticking with Sullivan
He is about to finish his career with 10 straight years without a series victory, if he stays. Personally not too thrilled about that. Wanna see him on deep playoff runs, where he belongs.
If it's what he wants I won't begrudge him making that choice. I'll still feel bad about it though. Just would hate to see him in another jersey.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
I mean, we don't deserve this bullshit either, but here we are.

(And no, I'm not saying he should have to stay because we haven't jumped ship, I'm just grumbling.)

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Yeah, I can simultaneously want Sid to play somewhere else so he can still play meaningful hockey while he's still good, yet feel really bummed in almost a surreal way to see him wearing another jersey.

He'll re-sign and I'll be happy for the team and sad for him.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
One of the only good things about Sid moving on would be getting to watch all the yutzs in the media and... otherwise... reverse course and spin how somehow it's a big win for the team, Sullivan and Dubas. Despite handwaving all talk about Sid not being signed yet as "silly" or whatever.

Reactions: Pancakes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad