Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Except with his skating, it'd be wiser to use him on the powerplay and with Geno or the third line as the Crosby line might just make things worse for him when Sid and Rust speed off and for basically his entire career - Crosby has been someone that at worst needed someone that can at least skate. Which is why Dupuis, Rust, Kunitz, EROD, Canner, etc were all his wingers.
I'm fine with that. I was just saying that Toronto utilized Knies in a way I don't have confidence that Sullivan will utilize McGroarty.

For instance, Knies most common linemates last year at 5on5 were Matthews and Marner the most, then Nylander, then a bit of a drop to where Kampf, Tavares and Domi follow. The fact he spent a big chunk of the season either on the top or second line, with the occasional shifts with the checkers (Kampf, Holmberg) is the kind of usage we don't get from Sullivan.

Instead, if Sullivan was coaching the Leafs Knies would have played 80% of his games next to Kampf with maybe a game or two next to Matthews and Tavares. Which is what I expect to see McGroarty get, if he makes the team at all.

Reactions: Andy99

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Think if Eller was gonna be moved they woulda done it by now.
He won Sullivan's trust and respect. High tier PK'er who was a solid shutdown guy at ES, with bloated D-zone starts.
Chipped in 31 points. Played 16 mins a night. That's more than Teddy ever got.

Maybe there would be incentive from Dubas' side, getting a pick in return or w/e. But that's only 1 side of the coin. He also listens to what the coach wants, and I'm sure MS wants Eller again.
This is not a situation like Smith, where the fit was wrong.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
If a team was offering a 2nd or something for Eller right now, I think he'd be gone. Eller is just not significant enough for teams to give up assets for at this point. Most teams either already have someone they can try and/or don't have the cap space.

There will be underperformers and injuries that will lead to teams looking for help at the deadline. Eller, assuming healthy and playing well, will draw more interest then.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I dunno. I see Jared McCann a lot in his game in terms of what he was before he came here not in terms of play but just pedigree and expectations.

He’s a tweener. If the Penguins support him right and he can stay healthy I think he could easily turn into a 20-20 guy on the wing or in the dot.

I’d honestly hope they’d put him on Geno or Sid’s RW heading into training camp. He’s got huge IQ and is a solid forechecker.
Hey, I'd love if he could have a trajectory like that. Just not sure its viable with both Rust and Rakell on the team.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don’t hate our roster except for the goaltending tandem. I wouldn’t have brought Ned back.
Our roster is not the roster of a contender but I tend to agree…but it’s more about Jarry for me…so over him…he can’t be playing post-January…hopefully he has a great Fall and gets traded lol

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Our roster is not the roster of a contender but I tend to agree…but it’s more about Jarry for me…so over him…he can’t be playing post-January…hopefully he has a great Fall and gets traded lol
Agree. No confidence in Jarry. but there’s just no getting rid of him with his deal.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
This team totally underperformed last year

They finished well below potential

So having some hope on paper again is understandable

If more than 3 guys can score a goal, it might not matter about the tenders we have

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I prefer the team’s Facebook post photo of him where you can see they scouted him from his previous position of cruise ship magician

km0mp4ggbndwp7nnsl99.jpg

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Except with his skating, it'd be wiser to use him on the powerplay and with Geno or the third line as the Crosby line might just make things worse for him when Sid and Rust speed off and for basically his entire career - Crosby has been someone that at worst needed someone that can at least skate. Which is why Dupuis, Rust, Kunitz, EROD, Canner, etc were all his wingers.
someone needs to be the f-3 :dunno: he just needs the speed to get back.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Not much better at that cost point was available this summer.
Yeah agree. I would’ve let Ned walk and gone after Talbot or Stolarz with a bit more $ (they signed identical deals to Ned). If that failed I’d have signed a stopgap guy like Reimer and let Blomqvist push a bit more.

We will see. Def easy to say “wouldn’t have brought him back” but harder in practice.

just think .900 goaltending from a scrambly 5’11ish guy is not what I want in a backup when the starter is as unreliable as Jarry.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah agree. I would’ve let Ned walk and gone after Talbot or Stolarz with a bit more $ (they signed identical deals to Ned). If that failed I’d have signed a stopgap guy like Reimer and let Blomqvist push a bit more.

We will see. Def easy to say “wouldn’t have brought him back” but harder in practice.

just think .900 goaltending from a scrambly 5’11ish guy is not what I want in a backup when the starter is as unreliable as Jarry.

Ned battles. I take him over Talbot and Reimer every day of the week. Stolarz is probably a flash in the pan too.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Ned battles. I take him over Talbot and Reimer every day of the week. Stolarz is probably a flash in the pan too.
Yeah I don’t. He only gave us 16 quality starts in 33 appearances. Brossoit another more solid type I would’ve thrown the Ned deal to.

The appeal of Reimer is the 1 year deal and kinda having a stopgap for Blom to push, not his ability. Which was pretty equivalent to Ned’s last season.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
This is so on brand for the Pens.

There, the joke has been made.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Yeah I don’t. He only gave us 16 quality starts in 33 appearances. Brossoit another more solid type I would’ve thrown the Ned deal to.

The appeal of Reimer is the 1 year deal and kinda having a stopgap for Blom to push, not his ability. Which was pretty equivalent to Ned’s last season.

Brossoit is already out for months.

Reimer blows chunks. Blom isn't ready to play NHL minutes especially with how injury prone Jarry is.

Ned contract is fine. Not a huge win, but he is a solid back-up that can take over for stretches.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Contracts geting insane. Not that it matters tho, we won't be having a player pushing for 14 mil anytime soon 😅

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
You're asking for the kid to have his confidence cratered and for him to look even more out of place than your usual rookie if you throw McGroarty on a line with Sid, imo. Could it work? Sure. Sid's worked really well with guys who aren't fantastic skaters in the past. But he's notoriously finicky and very blatantly prefers guys who are not only good skaters, but maybe more importantly, can think the game at his speed.

I wish Sullivan didn't utilize his bottom-6 like two 4th line slop grinders tbh.

-edit- Also lmao McDavid's next deal is gonna be like $22M AAV.

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
Last night I dreamt I was outside of my parents house. Sid skated down the street. I asked him why he hadn’t signed yet. McDavid came skating down behind him. They cracked smiles, and kept going on down the road without a word.

Please sign already Sid my subconscious can’t handle this.

Reactions: Turin

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Last night I dreamt I was outside of my parents house. Sid skated down the street. I asked him why he hadn’t signed yet. McDavid came skating down behind him. They cracked smiles, and kept going on down the road without a word.

Please sign already Sid my subconscious can’t handle this.

Nah brah…think of all the assets we can recoup for him and smile…lol

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad