Post-Game Talk: Pens Sens. That’s how we lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
If we finish 16th we get at least 16th.
Splitting hairs really. That pick just isn't going to matter unless we luck out and win the lottery and get into the top 10. We won't be bad enough to get into Bedard territory but moving up into top 10 or 4th/5th would be gigantic.

But if I'm hoping for that I might as well hope for Sully to get fired too lol. Won't happen.

I think Hextall will get fired if FSG is paying attention at all. But that's it.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Since 17-18, Sullivan's penguins have finished 3rd aside from one freak COVID year.

In 19-20 we were on the way to finishing the season like this and Sully got his ass saved by COVID.
Cool, anyway they were a perennial 100 pt team or on pace for it, which is what I said. Last two seasons they had like a +40 goal differential, this year is -4.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I dont get how you can justify not firing a coach after 4 straight first round exits (and now no playoffs). Even Bylsma, who was a fraud, didnt achieve that.
There is no rational justification for it but the way coaches in the NHL are revered for making the Finals or winning the Cup is beyond rationale. There have been a handful of dudes who only make the Finals once but they coach for literally decades. Sully coached a team to back to back Cups--dude's probably got an entire lifetime of leash whether it makes sense or not. /shrug

Dude should've been fired after the Habs play-in back in 2020, imo.

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
Don't forget Carter.

Next year is done even if we get a good GM in. They won't be able to fix this in one season, and no guarantee Crosby and Malkin are even this good again.

Sullivan is a stale shitty coach.

But Hextall put the nails in the coffin. We have Carter and Granlund now.... No one gives a shit about KAP except that's it's just more horrific asset management. His expansion draft to TDL should be studied as a masterclass of what a GM should not do.

By the looks of it, it wasn't the Players but a past his prime coach/and an the mute JR clone.

Sucks for it to end like this... Crosby and Geno are playing pretty well.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
You can’t fire a coach with 20 games left. The time to do that was in December, maybe January.

Every day that goes by Hextall’s off-season looks worse and worse. I can’t believe he fought Malkin tooth and nail to free agency and after giving Rust and Carter quick no hassle contracts.
Yea the logic to bring down the core's AAV made a lot of sense if you're gonna surround them with like, talent. But not to bail out Nashville's cap problems and give away your young RHD to a divisional rival - among other things.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think Hextall is as good as gone. Sullivan isnt going until his new deal starts in 2024-2025
That's pretty much how I feel. I was surprised Hextall made it to the TDL to be honest, but there's no way he's still got a job after this team's eliminated. Sully's a shithead but for whatever reason he's absolutely adored everywhere outside of this message board. I think by the time he's even anywhere near the hot seat, this team will be so cooked ownership will just shrug and assume it can't be any fault of his.

Dude's gonna be here f***ing things up long after Sid's retired. Cool!

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
There is no rational justification for it but the way coaches in the NHL are revered for making the Finals or winning the Cup is beyond rationale. There have been a handful of dudes who only make the Finals once but they coach for literally decades. Sully coached a team to back to back Cups--dude's probably got an entire lifetime of leash whether it makes sense or not. /shrug

Dude should've been fired after the Habs play-in back in 2020, imo.
If you look at the totality of his career, those two cup years are outliers.

HBK was pure luck, it led to sully thinking he reinvented the sport.

the penitent

Feb 20, 2023
I think Hextall is as good as gone. Sullivan isnt going until his new deal starts in 2024-2025
Hextall had damn well better be gone at the end of the year. His cap mismanagement is the stuff of legend. My fear though is that uber-idiot Burke will just take over. If that happens, they might as well get the bankruptcy padlocks back out of the basement, because the team will be in ruins in two years.

Only hope to get rid of Sully is that nose dive through New Years in 23-24, and the stars make it clear he needs to go.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Last two seasons they got goaltending.
Their goals are way down. Their powerplay is way down. PK, down. It's an across the board thing that just looks even uglier because Jarry can't stay healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad