Post-Game Talk: Pens Sens. That’s how we lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

the penitent

Feb 20, 2023
Mate you literally see Marino, Blue, Kap etc all doing well away from Sullivan and you're blaming a solid player that usually produces well that just joined and is suffering the same fate, yet you still want to blame Granlund?

Heinen, Carter, Dumo, etc legit suck. But to say that sucks for us when the issue is the coach and not MG is being blind to the real issue.
I don't know that people are really blaming Granlund so much that we're just infuriated by the absolute stupidity of the acquisition.

To the players you cited, Marino being traded was a salary dump and a mistake, and I do believe he was misused by Sully. Blueger's inability to score into a soccer net will always be there, regardless of system. Kap will do well on a bad team - he'll cave the minute there's any pressure on him to produce

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
I live in Calgary and really been watching/enjoying the Flames playoffs push. Now I'm not one to focus a whole lot on line combinations, but watching Sutter not be afraid to change around line combinations has been a breath of fresh air. Has the top 6 on the pens change once the entire season? At this point break up Sid/Jake, give O'Connor a shot, give Ganlund/Zucker a shot. Because what's going is not working.
Sully can only swap Rust and Rakell like a Michael Scott vasectomy. He's either just become a lazy coach or really hates his options, because if you go back to the 2017 playoffs Crosby's line was a different line basically every game. It was some rotation of Kunitz, Guentzel, Rust, Sheary, Hornqvist (usually not Hornqvist due to injury) but yea.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

the penitent

Feb 20, 2023
Need guys who will go to the net and also guys who can elevate a damn puck. Team used to have Hornqvist and Kessel and now most of the dudes make Conor Sheary look like Jimmy Neal.
Amen - if they would have elevated even a few shots on that stiff it would have been game over

Reactions: Andy99

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
thats good but you have to reverse that trnd somehow, not rely on just grind them out shit.. this was against the team that got scored on at least 4 goals in the last 6-7 games...
Well I know where I'd start with personnel changes, but when it's happening to this many players then the coach is at least a big part of the problem.
There needs to be a shift in attitude in the room. Swagger, fun, investment etc... Those are things the players don't have.

Our problem is sort of intangible imo, although some of it could be solved with more traffic in front.

Reactions: Andy99

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
This issue with finishing isn't new. A couple goals here and there and the team probably still limps to the 2nd round despite Jarry shitting himself in embarrassing fashion against the Isles, or the way this team threw away a 3-1 series lead against the Rangers.

Finishing has been an issue for *yeeeeeears* at this point.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Is it still too late to fire Sullivan?

Absolutely not.

It generally doesn't happen this late, but that is because coaches overseeing teams with playoff expectations are usually already gone when they are this hapless.

The team doesn't believe in Sullivan. It started showing symptoms years ago and it is getting worse and worse. Look at the consistent issues this team has with giving up goals at the worst time/immediately after scoring. See how many times they fail to deliver in the clutch.

A big part of this is a collective confidence issue.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Mike Babcock HC Brian Burke GM dinosaur szn

Full Veteran.
You know what? If we’re gonna suck, at least we’d have Babs to completely **** with Carter during his last NHL season. Last minute scratch before his last game in LA, dressed but doesn’t play a shift in the inevitable outdoor game we’ll play against Chicago, you get the drift.

Reactions: mpp9 and Turin

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
This issue with finishing isn't new. A couple goals here and there and the team probably still limps to the 2nd round despite Jarry shitting himself in embarrassing fashion against the Isles, or the way this team threw away a 3-1 series lead against the Rangers.

Finishing has been an issue for *yeeeeeears* at this point.
This problem is 2 years old.
When they won the division they were 2nd in the league at finishing.

It just fell off a cliff.

Reactions: Turin

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
This problem is 2 years old.
When they won the division they were 2nd in the league at finishing.

It just fell off a cliff.
It really started in the bubble but I can forgive a lack of scoring against Carey Price playing the best hockey he'd ever play. But it's gone on since then, and it's maddening.

This is all with Zucker finally healthy and producing at a decent clip, and the addition of Rakell who may hit 30 by season's end. Though I guess that's offset by the departure of E-Rod, Heinen disappearing, Rust turning into a pumpkin, and Carter plummeting back to earth in a resounding way.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
You know what? If we’re gonna suck, at least we’d have Babs to completely **** with Carter during his last NHL season. Last minute scratch before his last game in LA, dressed but doesn’t play a shift in the inevitable outdoor game we’ll play against Chicago, you get the drift.
If he can haze Rust like he did Marner I'm here for it I guess.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It really started in the bubble but I can forgive a lack of scoring against Carey Price playing the best hockey he'd ever play. But it's gone on since then, and it's maddening.

This is all with Zucker finally healthy and producing at a decent clip, and the addition of Rakell who may hit 30 by season's end. Though I guess that's offset by the departure of E-Rod, Heinen disappearing, Rust turning into a pumpkin, and Carter plummeting back to earth in a resounding way.

Price didn’t make the SCF that year.

Montreal got beat by a Flyers team who then proceeded to be the worst team in the league in several years.

lettuceAA

Dec 16, 2010
Sully can only swap Rust and Rakell like a Michael Scott vasectomy. He's either just become a lazy coach or really hates his options, because if you go back to the 2017 playoffs Crosby's line was a different line basically every game. It was some rotation of Kunitz, Guentzel, Rust, Sheary, Hornqvist (usually not Hornqvist due to injury) but yea.
Pelletier was a healthy scratch the last 2 games and tonight he's on the 1st PP unit. When has something like that happened with the Pens this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad