Salary Cap: Pens Salary Thread: Pens Ownership "Dubas... that Coca-Cola machine. I want you to shoot the lock off it. There may be some waiver players in there."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
I know it's been debated, but I wonder if Dubas will bring in any toughness. It seems as tho some successful teams have a decent amount of grit on their rosters (NYR, FLA) and most good teams have at least some (COL, BOS, DAL, EDM, WPG, TOR, LAK, VGK). Pens have very little to speak of.
Ok Doobie let's do this. Jarry, Jake, MP and picks for Brady Tkachuk. Get younger and tougher.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think you gotta aggressively shop Petts too if you're gonna grow a spine and move Jake. Might as well. Guys worse than Petts go for 1st round picks+ every year at the TDL, and between his age and contract, I think you can snag a surprisingly decent return for the dude.

No reason to hang on to Petts if they're moving Jake, imo.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I'm not talking about Reaves types but perhaps a Frederic type? Imo, the fact they can't play that style hurts them throughout the year. Hell, Guentzel got injured standing up for himself to a much larger player and Crosby had to be the one to intervene.
But again, Sullivan hates those kinds of players. It'd be throwing good money after bad, though I agree with you, we should get tougher.

I think you gotta aggressively shop Petts too if you're gonna grow a spine and move Jake. Might as well. Guys worse than Petts go for 1st round picks+ every year at the TDL, and between his age and contract, I think you can snag a surprisingly decent return for the dude.

No reason to hang on to Petts if they're moving Jake, imo.
I think Petts is okay, but I would really really like us to move away from this boring, ineffectual north-south puck moving counterattack style that we've deluded ourselves into thinking we still play.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Thinking about Dubas wanting prospects, I wonder what kind of prospects you could get back for Smith. I think you definitely get prospects back for Guentzel while you definitely only get picks back for Nedjelkovic, but Smith's a weird case where I could see it going either way.

I think Smith to Florida makes a lot of sense, but I'm unsure of what Florida would be able to give up for Smith. The guy I'd love is Jack Devine, but I think there is almost zero chance they move him for Smith. I think you could get a 2025 2nd in value for Smith, but I'm unsure of what prospect fits that with Florida.

I think the best I can come up with for Florida is Smith for Sourdif or Sawchyn. Sawchyn's scouting report seems pretty interesting:

A forward with a tremendous motor, Sawchyn has a strong identity as a player and projects very well as a future bottom-six fan favourite.

It just sucks that he's literally 165 lbs.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I think at this point the math is almost practically impossible. Way too far down ...

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Thinking about Dubas wanting prospects, I wonder what kind of prospects you could get back for Smith. I think you definitely get prospects back for Guentzel while you definitely only get picks back for Nedjelkovic, but Smith's a weird case where I could see it going either way.

I think Smith to Florida makes a lot of sense, but I'm unsure of what Florida would be able to give up for Smith. The guy I'd love is Jack Devine, but I think there is almost zero chance they move him for Smith. I think you could get a 2025 2nd in value for Smith, but I'm unsure of what prospect fits that with Florida.

I think the best I can come up with for Florida is Smith for Sourdif or Sawchyn. Sawchyn's scouting report seems pretty interesting:

They could probably get a draft pick for Smith and then swap that pick for another team's prospect.

Also, hate his name but Gracyn Sawchyn will likely be decent.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They could probably get a draft pick for Smith and then swap that pick for another team's prospect.

Also, hate his name but Gracyn Sawchyn will likely be decent.

Yeah I'd be satisfied if they got him, it just kinda stinks the dude is like a twig.

I think a good bottom-6 upside prospect for Smith seems really reasonable to me.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
I know it's been debated, but I wonder if Dubas will bring in any toughness. It seems as tho some successful teams have a decent amount of grit on their rosters (NYR, FLA) and most good teams have at least some (COL, BOS, DAL, EDM, WPG, TOR, LAK, VGK). Pens have very little to speak of.
Absolutely. Regardless of whether it makes them better as a team, they should prioritize players who would stick up for Sid (he likes having that element in the team) when they're obviously not in a position to be competing in the next few years. They will need it as the teams in the division and conference have some tough and reckless players in them. I can't be bothered to watch this team because of how mediocre and passionless they are right now. Build the team morale, add and look for players who will play enthusiastically.

Last edited:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah, I can't wait for the next time the Pens play the Rags and that CTE riddled giraffe they just brought up takes a six stride charge at Letang's temple in the corner. Then POJ or Petts can get their faces caved in sticking up for their teammate. It's gonna be awesome.

Reactions: Headshot77

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Guentzel to Vegas for Brisson, Korczak and a 2024 1st
Smith to Florida for Sawchyn and a UFA cap dump
Nedjelkovic and a 2024 4th for a 2024 2nd

I also feel like you might be able to get a late pick back for Carter, just based on his faceoffs and veteran leadership. It's probably nothing more than a 5th, but a 5th is better than nothing.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017

They're rumored to be in on Hanifin. MP and Smith for Samoskevich and something plus whatever to make cap work especially next year for the Panthers.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Yeah, Friedman said something to the effect of Dubas and Sullivan approached Rust and told him they wouldn't ask him to waive and not to worry about being dealt. f***ing lol

This is probably copium, but my hope is if Rust got a special pat on the head to say you're safe then that means anyone other than 87, 71, 65, and 58 is about to be sold for parts.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd rather have a gradual tear-down and space out the picks/prospects they get for guys like Rust, Pettersson and whatnot over just obliterating the team right now and just getting every pick and prospect right now :dunno:

With Rust, it's questionable because we don't know if he'll still be valuable in 2 years once his NMC expires. But with someone like Pettersson, what's the rush to trading him right now?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I really hope Dubas doesn't send Jake to Vegas. Pretty much none of their prospects or younger players are interesting to me. :laugh:

At 50% retained, there's gotta be better returns out there than some kid cruising along on his last name and like a 30th overall pick. Not a doubt in my mind.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'd rather have a gradual tear-down and space out the picks/prospects they get for guys like Rust, Pettersson and whatnot over just obliterating the team right now and just getting every pick and prospect right now :dunno:

With Rust, it's questionable because we don't know if he'll still be valuable in 2 years once his NMC expires. But with someone like Pettersson, what's the rush to trading him right now?
Why would you hang on to Petts? You risk injury, a regression in play, etc. GMs go bonkers for dependable defensive defensemen every TDL and with a little bit of term at an easy to absorb cap hit, I think he's a no-brainer to move. You're looking at a pick like 25th+ for Petts regardless of which TDL you move him, and with this team kicking their 1st to SJ next year, having two 1sts from Jake and Petts--albeit relatively later ones--seems like the right call this year.

Reactions: Sideline

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Just ride it out til Sid retires, boys. We’ll have decades to complain when he’s gone.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Like I've said before, Jake has probably already been traded in a handshake deal. He's injured and isn't coming back so they've probably kept him on the team to vibe with the boys since might as well let him practice so he isn't rusty. Obviously there's holes in this conspiracy theory but tell me it isn't out of the realm of possibilities with the way this team operates

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
I really hope Dubas doesn't send Jake to Vegas. Pretty much none of their prospects or younger players are interesting to me. :laugh:

At 50% retained, there's gotta be better returns out there than some kid cruising along on his last name and like a 30th overall pick. Not a doubt in my mind.
Hoping a dark horse emerges from the shadows. Like the Red Wings. Or Stars with Wyatt Earp.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why would you hang on to Petts? You risk injury, a regression in play, etc. GMs go bonkers for dependable defensive defensemen every TDL and with a little bit of term at an easy to absorb cap hit, I think he's a no-brainer to move. You're looking at a pick like 25th+ for Petts regardless of which TDL you move him, and with this team kicking their 1st to SJ next year, having two 1sts from Jake and Petts--albeit relatively later ones--seems like the right call this year.

Because you can very likely get similar value for him in 4 years if you re-sign him as compared to now. You can re-sign him for like 6 years after next year and still get a great haul for him halfway through that deal. Defensemen age well, especially defensemen like Pettersson.

This team is never going to bottom out as long as the core is still here, so I don't see any reason to sell off literally everything as long as the core is around. Sell off pieces that are at notable risk of losing value if they're kept, but if you can get good value for a guy in 3 years, there's no reason to trade them right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad