Salary Cap: Pens Salary Thread: Pens Ownership "Dubas... that Coca-Cola machine. I want you to shoot the lock off it. There may be some waiver players in there."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
I have zero faith in Kyle Dubas. I view him as bad as Hextall until I see otherwise.

The organization is as hopeless as the Pirates at this point.

The only way to redeem it a bit is to fire Sully, which they will not do. Until he is gone, there is no hope for this franchise.

He also needs to trade Jarry, Graves, Smith, Guentzel, and Rakell. Get whatever you can.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
If they don't get their ask there's no point in doing deals to just do a deal. There is no point in doing Jake as a rental. You are talking scraps at that point.

Keep him and sign him. With a solid contract you can do better later.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jag68Sid87

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
I hate this team right now

This is pathetic

f*** Hextall too though

Mostly FSG

They think my time and loyalty knows no bounds.... I haven't watched a steelers game since 2018

Reactions: metalan2

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
If they don't get their ask there's no point in doing deals to just do a deal. There is no point in doing Jake as a rental. You are talking scraps at that point.

Keep him and sign him. With a solid contract you can do better later.
1) Not a given Jake will sign a new contract with us and 2) not a given some team is going to sign up to take on his long ass contract when we are ready to sell him off which will be pretty quick 3) If he would sign another contract with us, you can bet your sweet ass it will have a NMC covering the contact to almost the end. It would dictate to us when and to whom he would go to and we would lose control of the situation.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
You mean we shouldn't trade Jake? Or not just yet?

I am not trading Guentzel for anything less than what a top top winger would get. We can start the retool by trading away Smith, Eller, Nedeljkovic and Ruhwedel before the deadline. That is four young players to insert into the lineup between now and the rest of this season.

If true that Dubas wants two prospects instead of picks for Guentzel, then those two prospects have to be really good. At least one should be plug and play, either as a Ruhwedel replacement on defense or maybe an Eller replacement on the third line, or a top-six winger to replace Smith. Then the other guy has to be top notch. Worth the wait. He has to be a better prospect than Pickering, and possibly even better than Yager.

If we are trading Guentzel, it is so that we don't have to be in this purgatory. It is so that our core actually grows by two with young studs. Otherwise, Guentzel is our youngest core member.

And maybe we revisit the Guentzel situation this summer. Maybe Dubas smartens up about Rust's NMC. It is ridiculous not to ask him to waive. You are literally not doing your job by not asking him. You did not give him the NMC, so why should you care? Unless you are the type of GM who would have also given Rust a NMC. If that is the case, we are totally f*&^ed.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Buddy, this team got Smith for a throwaway 3rd rounder, Eller's a 4C, Ned's a whatever backup, and Ruhwedel is AHL fodder. If you think that's doing anything to kickstart a retool, or adds anything of value for the next chapter, then I dunno what to tell ya. :laugh:

This team's *been* in purgatory since like 2020. It'll continue to be in purgatory until Sid decides to allow the era to die by retiring. That's just the way it is.

f*** Jake. He's a leech. Let some other team pay him $9+ million over seven or eight years, and try to get the best return possible at the TDL--regardless of whether your aim is to retool on the fly (dumb as shit) or try and get some pieces in place for the next chapter so that in a few years when the bonafide top picks start rolling in, there's a (hopefully) good, young foundation around them to grow as a team.

Reactions: metalan2

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
This Is Fine GIFs | Tenor

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I hate this team right now

This is pathetic

f*** Hextall too though

Mostly FSG

They think my time and loyalty knows no bounds.... I haven't watched a steelers game since 2018
I mean, it’s just a sport meant for entertainment. If they don’t put a good product out and refuse to fix things there are much better things to do in life then blindly watch and think everything will be okay. Loyalty is kinda overrated in sports, no such thing as a loyalty badge. You just get frustrated wasting 3 hours of your limited day.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Pretty neat imo. Capfriendly now has mini scouting reports. Click on the green 80/L3.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240303_111750_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240303_111750_Samsung Internet.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20240303_111838_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240303_111838_Samsung Internet.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20240303_111843_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240303_111843_Samsung Internet.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 3

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
1) Not a given Jake will sign a new contract with us and 2) not a given some team is going to sign up to take on his long ass contract when we are ready to sell him off which will be pretty quick 3) If he would sign another contract with us, you can bet your sweet ass it will have a NMC covering the contact to almost the end. It would dictate to us when and to whom he would go to and we would lose control of the situation.

Sign and trade…let his agent explore offers…we can sign him for 8 years

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Keeping Jake through the TDL ends up one of two ways; risk losing him for nothing this summer, or signing him to an asinine deal that makes him an impossible move (let alone for anything of value) at 32 when Sid retires following the 2025-26 season. At best, nothing changes and now you've got Jake at roughly 150% of his current price. Cool, sounds great.

Trading Jake at the TDL; move an extremely valuable asset on an expiring contract for a haul of more universally valuable assets/young players to make a vain attempt at retooling on the fly, or restock the prospect cupboard so you've already got some supporting cast pieces in place for down the road when the team's raking in top-3 picks for half a decade.

This... Doesn't even feel like a discussion tbh. :laugh: You trade him without a second of hesitation, regardless of what avenue you plan on taking moving forward. But, it's the Pittsburgh Penguins, and based on the level of mismanagement and dysfunction for the past half decade and running, I fully expect the shittiest possible outcome. :laugh:

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
I know it's been debated, but I wonder if Dubas will bring in any toughness. It seems as tho some successful teams have a decent amount of grit on their rosters (NYR, FLA) and most good teams have at least some (COL, BOS, DAL, EDM, WPG, TOR, LAK, VGK). Pens have very little to speak of.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I know it's been debated, but I wonder if Dubas will bring in any toughness. It seems as tho some successful teams have a decent amount of grit on their rosters (NYR, FLA) and most good teams have at least some (COL, BOS, DAL, EDM, WPG, TOR, LAK, VGK). Pens have very little to speak of.
Why would we spend assets on toughness when Sullivan HATES that?

Reactions: Pens x

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Why would we spend assets on toughness when Sullivan HATES that?
I'm not talking about Reaves types but perhaps a Frederic type? Imo, the fact they can't play that style hurts them throughout the year. Hell, Guentzel got injured standing up for himself to a much larger player and Crosby had to be the one to intervene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad