Salary Cap: Pens Salary Thread: Pens Ownership "Dubas... that Coca-Cola machine. I want you to shoot the lock off it. There may be some waiver players in there."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
Right now, it's keep it simple stupid (KISS) time and let's not galaxy brain this thing here:
  • Get rid of any and all the UFAs you can at the TDL
  • Fire the entire coaching staff after the last regular season game
We can maybe move Petts or Smith at the TDL but it's not the end of world if we don't move them now. We'll have two other times to move them IMO that might bring better returns (this offseason and the 2025 TDL). Stop worry about what the team is saying about Rust at this very moment, there is rarely the great sell off where a team strips down all it's assets in a single season. It should and will be over multiple years.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Because you can very likely get similar value for him in 4 years if you re-sign him as compared to now. You can re-sign him for like 6 years after next year and still get a great haul for him halfway through that deal. Defensemen age well, especially defensemen like Pettersson.

This team is never going to bottom out as long as the core is still here, so I don't see any reason to sell off literally everything as long as the core is around. Sell off pieces that are at notable risk of losing value if they're kept, but if you can get good value for a guy in 3 years, there's no reason to trade them right now.
I just don't agree. Petts had a couple rocky seasons before he seemed to sort his shit out last year. His value's not gonna be higher than it is now. No reason to tempt fate imo. You're pretty much guaranteed a 1st rounder+ for the guy at the TDL being 27, having two years of term at $4 million a year right when the cap jumps $5 million this summer.

And I don't agree that this team's not gonna bottom out as long as the core's still around. Geno's a shell of his former self. Letang's bad more often than good anymore. Jake's (hopefully) on his way out. Sid's playing at a relatively unreal level considering his age and they're barely an afterthought when it comes to the WC race. They're a significant Sid injury away from picking top-5 next season. /shrug

Hoping a dark horse emerges from the shadows. Like the Red Wings. Or Stars with Wyatt Earp.
I think Dubas is best served looking for that kinda team tbh. One that's been bad enough, recently enough, to have a good number of prospects at Yager tier or better, while also being ready to take that next step toward relevance/competing.

But I do think JR's the best bet to land a big haul for Jake. Dude just can't help himself, especially if Vancouver falters a little bit heading into the TDL.

Reactions: Headshot77

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Vancouver or Florida would be my ideal trade partners right now. Trades built around Leki or Lundell would be great. Just need 1 team to get desperate.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Nashville has good fried chicken. Not sold on Detroit-style "pizza", and I'm ex-Chicago.

It's all the rage these days though.

Detroir pizza is just pizza with extra calories from having double the depth of the bread crust.

A friend in Chicago used to say "Chicago pizza isn't pizza, but it's the best casserole dish you'll ever have."

Reactions: HandshakeLine

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
Vancouver or Florida would be my ideal trade partners right now. Trades built around Leki or Lundell would be great. Just need 1 team to get desperate.
Can't see Florida moving Lundell in a TDL deal....the whole point of a TDL deal is to improve your NHL WITHOUT taking anything of worth away from the NHL roster.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It's all the rage these days though.

Detroir pizza is just pizza with extra calories from having double the depth of the bread crust.

A friend in Chicago used to say "Chicago pizza isn't pizza, but it's the best casserole dish you'll ever have."
They're not wrong, per se. Real deep dish (Geno's East, Lou Malnati's, etc.) is basically a casserole or a savory pie. But the best pizza in Chitown is tavern-style pizza from Burt's or Pequod's, no lie.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think the beginning of the end, as in the first dominoes to fall, was the directionless, idiotic Reaves trade and then signing JJ for half a decade the following summer. Things were well and truly f***ed by the time Hextall traded McCann and Marino for free and moved Matheson for Petry. JR killed the era, Sully and Hextall just made sure the era wasn't ever gonna be resurrected.

-edit- Honorable mention to Mario not giving a f*** after the Habs play in loss, and FSG being a bunch of love-struck losers.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I think the beginning of the end, as in the first dominoes to fall, was the directionless, idiotic Reaves trade and then signing JJ for half a decade the following summer. Things were well and truly f***ed by the time Hextall traded McCann and Marino for free and moved Matheson for Petry. JR killed the era, Sully and Hextall just made sure the era wasn't ever gonna be resurrected.

But the Reaves thing started with Sullivan.
JR made some wild trades but really it’s Sullivan’s finger prints all over the mess.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I’m so tired of hearing how the Jared McCann trade was awful and how Mike Matheson and John Marino would save us.

It’s as if people forget the team with Marino and Matheson did exactly what we did last night in 3 consecutive playoff games.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Pittsburgh
Would rather lose Guentzel for nothing than get a shitty 1st round pick and a nothing prospect and see him score 30 goals in the playoffs with McDavid.
Completely disagree. The Pens need picks and seeing Guentzel feasting would be nice to see.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
But the Reaves thing started with Sullivan.
JR made some wild trades but really it’s Sullivan’s finger prints all over the mess.
Nah, JR's a goof. Reaves has always been utter trash in all three zones and is a worthless deterrent in a league with this dumb instigator rule. Sid and Geno got abused as much or worse than they ever have back when the team had 4 guys like Reaves in Godard, Rupp, Asham, and Engelland.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I’m so tired of hearing how the Jared McCann trade was awful and how Mike Matheson and John Marino would save us.

It’s as if people forget the team with Marino and Matheson did exactly what we did last night in 3 consecutive playoff games.
I don't understand your logic. I would shift the team losing to Sully, but letting McCann and Matheson go with little return (and Marino) was textbook poor asset management. IT's not hindsight since a few loud souls stated this at the time.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't understand your logic. I would shift the team losing to Sully, but letting McCann and Matheson go with little return (and Marino) was textbook poor asset management. IT's not hindsight since a few loud souls stated this at the time.

McCann is an empty calorie scorer. Loved the guy just like Matheson, but we saw him disappoint in the playoffs in three consecutive years.

Matheson is just not a playoff player. He’s literally the dumbest player I’ve ever seen. Super fun to watch, but I have no problem with either of those trades.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
McCann is an empty calorie scorer. Loved the guy just like Matheson, but we saw him disappoint in the playoffs in three consecutive years.

Matheson is just not a playoff player. He’s literally the dumbest player I’ve ever seen. Super fun to watch, but I have no problem with either of those trades.

You are basically saying " I have never had much use for my left hand, cut it off, won't miss it a bit"

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017

8 playoff games last season with the kraken.
1 goal. ONE.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
If they fire Sullivan right now, today, then whoever they replace him with is going to come in and want to start winning. That's a problem. This team needs to lose now. So keeping Sullivan as a lame duck right now is the right move.

But this trade deadline EVERYONE should be for sale. There shouldn't be a player off limits if a team is willing to pay the price.

Dubas needs to go full Ted Bibiase: everybody's got a price.... Or else he can f*** off with Sullivan at the end of the year.

I can only hate-watch this team for so much longer. They need to start trending towards a positive direction.

Reactions: Headshot77

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

The McCann thing was inexcusably bad. Whether or not he would have found the success he has in Seattle here, who knows, but I'm confident that he'd be our best bottom 6 forward right now. And we got 2 games of Hallander and a 7th for him.

Matheson got us Petry and honestly, I'd much rather have Matheson. We paid to get rid of Petry,

The Marino trade I'm torn on but I think what gripes me is that you get Smith and a 3rd for a top 4 guy. A third is nothing and they've sentenced Smith to the AHL for good.

So citing those three, we have NOTHING to show for any of it. It's fine if you want to trade or dump players but you have to get value back or find replacement. Hextall didn't. With that, both Hextall and Dubas with input from Sullivan have built non-competitive rosters. Electing to sign guys like Acciari, Nieto, and Eller instead of guys like Suter, ERod, Kostin, Sprong, Geekie, etc are a big part of the problem. It's a Hextall, Dubas, AND Sullivan problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad