Confirmed Signing with Link: [NJD] F Dawson Mercer re-signs with the Devils (3 years, $4M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
He is pretty bad defensively and can't be trusted at center, so he really needs to score points in order to provide value. Last year he struggled to score points and it really hurt his value. With NJ getting healthy and adding some significant depth, and a new coach, I think his numbers will bounce back and he'll get a very nice contract in 3 years (either in NJ or elsewhere).

He is in that perfect sweet spot of young enough and cheap enough that if he REALLY sucks you can probably find a desperate team to take him as a reclamation project, and if he REALLY improves you can trade him away for a small ransom.
How is he pretty bad defensively? Not to mention he hasnt even turned 23 yet

Try not to speak in absolutes

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Even for a bridge deal, it seems a little low for his production potential.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Unfortunately we see lots of kids come up and hit things in stride, but once dmen figure out their tendencies, etc, it’s that 3rd and 4th gear we need to see before we can feel real comfortable a player will consistently score at the NHL level.

That’s where Mercer is at right now. Hopefully he had a big, productive summer and takes that next step. Much like a Lucas Raymond took last year. Doesn’t have to be to that extent, but he has to find that consistency, and ability to adjust to what dmen are giving him. In Jersey, he’s gonna have to earn those opportunities as well. It’s not like he’s not competing for top 6 minutes.

So nothings gonna be handed to him. This will be a big season for him. If it mirrors last season, he’s likely not gonna be in NJ for the long term. They’ll use him at the deadline.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I always wonder what his point total ceiling is with NJ.. NJ obviously have some other offensive studs on the team that put up more points than Mercer and get the prime mins on the first line and first PP group… Mercer is a good young player but seems as though he will be on that second line and 2nd PP for quite some time.

What do Devils fans think his ceiling is?? I always think he should every season be in the 50-60 point mark roughly???

Seems like a good contract for both sides
If he's played with one of our top 2 centers and played on PP2 he should be able to reach 60-70 points.

Mercer's 5v5 p/60 with 4 most common linemates in last 2 seasons:
w/ Hughes: 2.40 (451 mins)
w/ Hischier: 2.20 (545 mins)
w/ Haula: 1.72 (591 miins)
w/ Meier: 0.81 (445 mins)

This past year his most common linemates were Meier and Haula. If they aren't going to play him at center, he should really be getting regular shifts with with Hughes or Hischier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad