Salary Cap: Pens Salary Cap Thread: If we score 6 we win, its science!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Those silly"playoff" games are just the 99% most important games of the season. If a goalie sucks in the playoffs you get rid, end of. And Jarry is on thin ice as he has been a joke so far when the games matter the most.
You're a moron if you make him one of the highest paid in the league without playing as the best when it matters....
Thing is the playoffs are random and luck filled, Can't really judge a player and how well they will perform going forward, based off a handful of random games.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah, but I truly think a top-6-caliber C is this team’s biggest need up front. Just because I don’t think Sid and Geno can do it on a nightly basis. They’re managing Geno‘s minutes pretty well. I’d like to see Sid play a little less, too.

(biggest need is probably another defender, especially after Dumo moves on)

I thought you were being sarcastic. But yeah I think there is some truth that. Realistically I think you can get away with a Barbashev type because the window is crashing shut in two years likely regardless of what we add.

If we were going to add something in season, I’d probably sell the farm for Chychrun and then try to acquire a player on a bad contract for cheap like Ryan Johansen, Logan Couture, or even sign Ryan O’Reilly for center depth up front.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Dumo looked pretty rough yesterday. Again, I went through the lower standing teams to look for a LD on an expiring or near-expiring contract that may be of use:

Nick Holden
Valdislav Gavrikov
Gavin Bayreuther
Radim Simek
Patrik Nemeth
Dmitry Kulikov

I don't think CBJ would trade us Gav or Bay. The others seem to be more "realistic". Though Chychrun is still at the top of my list.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Dumo looked pretty rough yesterday. Again, I went through the lower standing teams to look for a LD on an expiring or near-expiring contract that may be of use:

Nick Holden
Valdislav Gavrikov
Gavin Bayreuther
Radim Simek
Patrik Nemeth
Dmitry Kulikov

I don't think CBJ would trade us Gav or Bay. The others seem to be more "realistic". Though Chychrun is still at the top of my list.

All these players outside of Gavrikov and maybe SImek are either worse or downgrades on Dumoulin. If you just want cap, sure make the move, but Dumoulin is handling the third most minutes throughout this winning streak and playing heavy defensive minutes to boot.

It's really easy to say POJ looks great without realizing Dumoulin's getting sunk to give him softer minutes.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I thought you were being sarcastic. But yeah I think there is some truth that. Realistically I think you can get away with a Barbashev type because the window is crashing shut in two years likely regardless of what we add.

If we were going to add something in season, I’d probably sell the farm for Chychrun and then try to acquire a player on a bad contract for cheap like Ryan Johansen, Logan Couture, or even sign Ryan O’Reilly for center depth up front.
Nope, no sarcasm. I think they have something like 25 million in space moving forward and in my mind I’ve really been thinking about top-6 depth. It sounds absurd to say out loud given this team’s makeup, but I think it’s the best way to 1) soften the blow of the stars aging and 2) prepare to transition out of this era (if they want. If they don’t want, then horvat is simply a trade asset in 4 years)

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Nope, no sarcasm. I think they have something like 25 million in space moving forward and in my mind I’ve really been thinking about top-6 depth. It sounds absurd to say out loud given this team’s makeup, but I think it’s the best way to 1) soften the blow of the stars aging and 2) prepare to transition out of this era (if they want. If they don’t want, then horvat is simply a trade asset in 4 years)

That's the fun part about us spending major assets to acquire a player like Horvat or Chychrun is it doesn't necessarily mean we are burning those assets in fact it's probably smarter to spend assets now on a young elite player (I know Horvat is older) and then move him for a haul when Sid and Malkin completely suck versus just being top six forwards.

Say we package something like Dumo, 1st, 2nd, Poulin and Pickering for Chychrun,. We could easily recoup a 1st and a 2nd in a few years when his contract is up.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
would you do Carter + significant futures for Horvat (retained to match?)
The rumors are he rejected an offer more or less of 8 million per year. As much as he would help, we cannot afford that considering Jarry will get a nice raise..

He is also having a career year, not sure in the long run that`s a contract we will be very happy with!!

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
That's the fun part about us spending major assets to acquire a player like Horvat or Chychrun is it doesn't necessarily mean we are burning those assets in fact it's probably smarter to spend assets now on a young elite player (I know Horvat is older) and then move him for a haul when Sid and Malkin completely suck versus just being top six forwards.

Say we package something like Dumo, 1st, 2nd, Poulin and Pickering for Chychrun,. We could easily recoup a 1st and a 2nd in a few years when his contract is up.
Yep. Fully agree. Don’t think the team will approach it that way, unfortunately

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
All these players outside of Gavrikov and maybe SImek are either worse or downgrades on Dumoulin. If you just want cap, sure make the move, but Dumoulin is handling the third most minutes throughout this winning streak and playing heavy defensive minutes to boot.

It's really easy to say POJ looks great without realizing Dumoulin's getting sunk to give him softer minutes.

No, I'm aware that Dumo is getting the tougher minutes. I'm just kinda sick of him going back to last season.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
The rumors are he rejected an offer more or less of 8 million per year. As much as he would help, we cannot afford that considering Jarry will get a nice raise..

He is also having a career year, not sure in the long run that`s a contract we will be very happy with!!

He’s a 30 goal 60 pt center. Hard not to be happy with that.

Go take a look at what players are getting.

Would you rather have Zucker at 5 mil or Horvat at 8+?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
No, I'm aware that Dumo is getting the tougher minutes. I'm just kinda sick of him going back to last season.

We were all sick of Chris Kunitz in 15-16 and 16-17 too.

I'm not advocating for us to resign Dumoulin or not try to improve his position, but it just seems like a waste with how we've performed defensively this year.. Dumouliln will not cost us games anymore than any other 3rd pairing D if he's used in that role.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
He’s a 30 goal 60 pt center. Hard not to be happy with that.

Go take a look at what players are getting.

Would you rather have Zucker at 5 mil or Horvat at 8+?
That's not the point, I would oubviously rather have Horvat but I would also rather have Jarry as our starter and not CDS...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
That's not the point, I would oubviously rather have Horvat but I would also rather have Jarry as our starter and not CDS...

We can afford both Jarry and Horvat.

Guentzel - Crosby - Rakell
Horvat (8.25 x 6) - Malkin - Rust
McGinn - Carter - Kapanen
X - X - X
X

Pettersson - Letang
POJ - Petry
X - Rutta
X

Jarry (6 x 6)
Desmith

That gives us 4.785 mil to fill out four bottom pairing roles if the cap doesn't increase at all.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
8 million from the canucks isn’t the same as 8 million from the penguins (or another equivalent team). I wouldn’t think about his salary demands at all
That's for sure, but I still don't see it happening. Hextall is very conservative and I don't think he is moving any 1st round picks going forward

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Lol…if Horvat costs POJ, Kap, plus Hallander and a second, do that all day…Hex, are you listening?…and I like POJ but after Sullivan’s comments last night he’s not going to get a prime position for awhile…

No I'm not moving any roster piece out side of Kapanen for Horvat, and I'm really not even a fan of doing that.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Lol…if Horvat costs POJ, Kap, plus Hallander and a second, do that all day…Hex, are you listening?…and I like POJ but after Sullivan’s comments last night he’s not going to get a prime position for awhile…

I doubt that would be the cost, but if so and Horvat comes extended, hurry up Hex! Would suck losing POJ though, would really need for Smith to be a regular at that point!

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
No I'm not moving any roster piece out side of Kapanen for Horvat, and I'm really not even a fan of doing that.
I’d rather they move Smith but I don’t think that’s likely…here’s what Sullivan had to say about POJ, he’s not getting top 4 minutes any time soon

Coach Sullivan on P.O Joseph: "It's great to see him get rewarded. It was a terrific shot... I think P.O is gradually getting better and better with each game he plays... I just think his learning curve right now is steep."

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I’d rather they move Smith but I don’t think that’s likely…here’s what Sullivan had to say about POJ, he’s not getting top 4 minutes any time soon

Coach Sullivan on P.O Joseph: "It's great to see him get rewarded. It was a terrific shot... I think P.O is gradually getting better and better with each game he plays... I just think his learning curve right now is steep."

Why do we need POJ in top four minutes?

He's excelling in his role. Why do we need to put more on his plate?

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I have posted that the 3 year plan here includes Jarry all things being equal. Say around 6 AAV and Pens with cap space a better if the shortfall is paid and the cap in 87.5 in 2023. Pens have 17 million and probably can sign a couple players like Teddy B and Poehling and have a lot of cap space remaining. Next year DOC, Hallander, Smith are here and LW 2 is the outstanding roster spot. It really depends on how things go this year and Hextall will make moves to keep the party going. Assuming Letang has no more issues, D is set for the next 3 years unless someone emerges from the prospect pool like Pickering.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Did you miss the part about *IF* he has another weak playoffs this year? That would be two full series, not just a random 8 games over 3 years.

IF.

Thus, why I've said it depends how he does this playoffs.
No it will be a random 13 games over 4 years. Bravo, youve made your stats professor proud. Oh wait, nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad