Salary Cap: Pens Salary Cap Thread: If we score 6 we win, its science!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Teddy B is a keeper. He is the best Pk and just adds smarts to the team. He can play either 3 or 4 center and with cap space that is not an issue. Pens have a number of players who can be 4th line guys and the plan has to be LW 2 as they need some size there and skill. Pens have cap space to add. Zucker is just not quite enough of a banger to stay healthy for what that position needs.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Teddy B is a keeper. He is the best Pk and just adds smarts to the team. He can play either 3 or 4 center and with cap space that is not an issue. Pens have a number of players who can be 4th line guys and the plan has to be LW 2 as they need some size there and skill. Pens have cap space to add. Zucker is just not quite enough of a banger to stay healthy for what that position needs.

I had a bigger post all typed up. I'll just say I would like to keep Blueger but think he'll find greener pastures (for him) in Free Agency.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
#1 - He'll play a good chunk of games as 3C, with injuries to Crosby, Malkin, Carter
#2 - 2 mil is peanuts for a quality 2-way center who is also our best PK'er
#3 - He historically scores a lot relative to his role

The better question is, why the hell would you let him go, and who are you gonna get more out of for 2 mil?
Pretty sure that Sully always keeps Blueger on L4 despite injuries. At least he did when ZAR was a thing.

Preds put Tolvanen on waivers. Seems nuts. No way he's going to clear, and his cap hit isn't even that much. He hasn't lived up to the hype yet but there is talent there. Could be a good player for someone.
He’s a guy I really wanted to take a flyer on. A lot of skill and he hits too. Like you said, could be a nice addition. I don’t see any way he gets past the first couple teams.

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Pretty sure that Sully always keeps Blueger on L4 despite injuries. At least he did when ZAR was a thing.

He’s a guy I really wanted to take a flyer on. A lot of skill and he hits too. Like you said, could be a nice addition. I don’t see any way he gets past the first couple teams.
Yeah Nashville is Just soooooo deep they have nowhere for him to play so the waived him

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I know, but let's say Carter gets hurt and Poehling takes his spot. If Blue's line outplays Poehling's and gets more minutes, doesn't that make him the 3C on those nights?

The label's irrelevant. We care about the role.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

He won't make it to us I don't think we and we lack the cap space to take him anyways.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

He keeps the unit together, and the unit often keeps the title L4, but they routinely get a ton of ice time. There was a period - I think when GMR were rolling - when Blueger was our de facto 2C.

Eh, Sully was leaning more on Carter to take some of that load when Blueger was out and Poehling was the 4C. He's more apt to play Blueger 13-14 minutes per night, which is higher than your typical 4C. He just doesn't seem to believe Blueger should have any *offensive* minutes.

This, although the bit where he doesn't hand out offensive minutes to 4C is fairly regular.

And in any case, you can spin that as a total lack of belief in Blueger offensively, or a total belief in Blueger defensively, or a belief that Blueger doesn't need offensive deployments to get his numbers, or a belief that the lion's share of offensive minutes should go to Sid and Geno.

Just like you can spin this summer and its rumours as Hextall not being sold on Blueger because he allegedly offered him to Montreal, or being very sold that he kept him despite the fact that doing so has displaced two of Hextall's summer acquisitions.

The truth probably lies in between all of those things, and we will see just how much they value him this summer, one way or the other. I suspect they're maybe waiting to see if he carries his regular season through to the playoffs as much as anything.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Preds put Tolvanen on waivers. Seems nuts. No way he's going to clear, and his cap hit isn't even that much. He hasn't lived up to the hype yet but there is talent there. Could be a good player for someone.

Tolvanen's stats suggest he has grown more into an Archibald type of player, an undersized bottom-6 grinder. He's only 5'10" and 190 lbs but had 175 hits last year.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Tolvanen's stats suggest he has grown more into an Archibald type of player, an undersized bottom-6 grinder. He's only 5'10" and 190 lbs but had 175 hits last year.
Probably the exact type of player who would thrive in Sullivan's system. Too bad he'll never make it to us, and we can't afford him even with how cheap his cap is.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

He definitely still has a higher ceiling than Archibald though. Tolvanen is only 23 and has 26 less career points than Archibald at age 30.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He definitely still has a higher ceiling than Archibald though. Tolvanen is only 23 and has 26 less career points than Archibald at age 30.

I wasn't commenting on his upside or anything like that, just a comment on what his stat line looked like.

He's definitely a worthwhile waiver pickup because a lot of teams have shitty bottom-6 guys, but I think he's more of a bottom-6 grinder upside player than anything.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I wasn't commenting on his upside or anything like that, just a comment on what his stat line looked like.

He's definitely a worthwhile waiver pickup because a lot of teams have shitty bottom-6 guys, but I think he's more of a bottom-6 grinder upside player than anything.

Id rather him that Heinen if thats true though. Heinen is better suited for a top 9 and disappears on line 4. A bottom 6 grindr with upside is still pretty nice. Sounds like he could be closer to more physical McGinn

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
It's funny to me because I doubt hardly anyone had "Rust turns into Roger Dorn" on their bingo card this season. He didn't seem like the kind of guy to start goldbricking. I was pretty ambivalent at best about bringing him back but not because I thought he was gonna turn into a slug. Though I suppose the signs have been there for a couple of seasons or so.
I generally vibe with your opinions, but I think Rust was a pretty obvious choice for regression and “fat and happy.”

I thought that’s why so many were against his re-signing, even at the “discounted” price

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Teddy B next year should be playing a larger role as Sid and Geno give up a couple minutes and who know what Carter can actually do? Poehling is a better LW and sully at some point has to see to many of his grinders like Heinen and McGinn just don't make a bit of difference as to size and bang. Doc, to a degree Hollander and if Poulin comes back that is the kind of size the Pens need to employ going forward.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Teddy B next year should be playing a larger role as Sid and Geno give up a couple minutes and who know what Carter can actually do? Poehling is a better LW and sully at some point has to see to many of his grinders like Heinen and McGinn just don't make a bit of difference as to size and bang. Doc, to a degree Hollander and if Poulin comes back that is the kind of size the Pens need to employ going forward.
Yes McGinn has not made a difference this season so far

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I generally vibe with your opinions, but I think Rust was a pretty obvious choice for regression and “fat and happy.”

I thought that’s why so many were against his re-signing, even at the “discounted” price

Well there's your first mistake!

But no I guess I just wasn't paying enough attention. It was hard to tell sometimes to be fair to me considering he's been stapled next to Crosby and Guentzel for years, now. And it's a little easier to hide in the weeds next to those two guys and just bank points.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Id rather him that Heinen if thats true though. Heinen is better suited for a top 9 and disappears on line 4. A bottom 6 grindr with upside is still pretty nice. Sounds like he could be closer to more physical McGinn
He would add some more physicality to the team for sure with some potential upside on the offensive end. Has flashed a nice shot at times as well.

There are quite a few teams that should be all over him

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I’d say it had more to do with being miscast and trying to adapt to stick with the team. If anything, I’d consider it as a positive that a highly touted offensive player could/would adapt to playing a physical style because the team doesn’t know how to develop skilled forwards. Look what happened to Fiala after he got out. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a similar outcome here.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I agree on both tbh.

Jarry’s probably playing himself off this team this year IMO unless we have a deep run on the playoffs and he’s a part of it.

If we slot in Poehling or Poulin as a 4C next year and use Carter as the RW to handle face offs I think you can justify bringing in a 3C. But I don’t think Sullivan will ever view Blueger in that light.

I like Barbashev because of the dual LW / C usage so if Poulin or Poehling shows they can hold down 3C you can bump him up to Malkin’s line.
I’m not sure you can rely on Poulin to do much anymore. Sully hates young guys, and I assume he’d especially hate a guy that had to take a leave of absence from the AHL.

Last edited:

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I'm cool with McGinn not bangin bodies if he PK's like this, defends like this, and pumps out 15 goals in a 70% D-zone role.

Don't feel like we're missing Poulin and his -3 in 3 games right now, his thicker body notwithstanding.

Reactions: Andy99

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
He reminds me of Sprong. A guy who you believe the talent is there but it just doesn't ever seem to come together. Maybe like our early season Kapanen.
Disagree. Here's my hot take - you can't bring in Tolvanen and put him in the top 6 (including and especially the top line) if there is a need. Heinen, you can. Heinen is a guy you can slot on any line and it won't be detrimental. You may not score as much, sure, but it's not like you're putting a scrub there.

Mike Sullivan is responsible for the seven game losing streak and should be fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad