Salary Cap: Pens Salary Cap Thread: If we score 6 we win, its science!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
He definitely still has a higher ceiling than Archibald though. Tolvanen is only 23 and has 26 less career points than Archibald at age 30.
Right but where does he play? He doesn’t strike me as a player that would be used in the bottom 6.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
We will see what is what with Petry. Hope for the best. But if the scenario is 4 to 6 weeks with broken wrist, LTIR and Hextall has to know Ruhwedel and Friedman are not the best solution.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Right but where does he play? He doesn’t strike me as a player that would be used in the bottom 6.

He’s been relatively effective in a bottom six role, I think Hynes is just an awful coach.

We will see what is what with Petry. Hope for the best. But if the scenario is 4 to 6 weeks with broken wrist, LTIR and Hextall has to know Ruhwedel and Friedman are not the best solution.

If it’s 4-6 weeks I think they probably call up Friedman and just play him and Ruhwedel tbh.

Doubt we make a move.

Biggest issue if Letang misses more time we are f***ed.

Reactions: Darren McCord

OscarsCards

Spooky action at a distance
Mar 13, 2013
Cesis
I'm gonna address this for those who whine about the bad goalies and why anyone of them should even be getting sallary should start to understand that goalie plays a 60 minute game day in day out. They happen to be the ones who are trying to save the day after "those superstar" teammates has crapped themselves again. Goalies doesn't have the next guy in line who could be blamed for the crap they have done and they doesn't hide so they take the blame on themselves, grind their teeths and just keep playing those 60 minute games. And since this is allegedly the best hockey league in the world those goalies are working their ass off to stop the shots from the best players in the world. If the man doesn't have the respect for this nonsense sounding job then you don't deserve anything this game provides.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He’s been relatively effective in a bottom six role, I think Hynes is just an awful coach.

If it’s 4-6 weeks I think they probably call up Friedman and just play him and Ruhwedel tbh.

Doubt we make a move.

Biggest issue if Letang misses more time we are f***ed.

If Letang and Petry are both out at the same time (heaven forbid) and this team still doesn't see what it has in Smith as the PPQB, I don't know what to say.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The goalie talk I've seen from Penguins fans confuses me a bit. The Penguins are assuredly keeping Jarry unless something unexpected happens in the next 6 months. He'd have to go 2012 MAF for me to think they won't bring him back. The UFA goalie market is so barren that the Penguins would be crazy to gamble on signing a UFA over just re-signing Jarry.

Goalies may be a crapshoot, but you're substantially more likely to have success with someone like Jarry or Varlamov in net than if you gamble on someone like Blackwood or Korpisalo.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
The goalie talk I've seen from Penguins fans confuses me a bit. The Penguins are assuredly keeping Jarry unless something unexpected happens in the next 6 months. He'd have to go 2012 MAF for me to think they won't bring him back. The UFA goalie market is so barren that the Penguins would be crazy to gamble on signing a UFA over just re-signing Jarry.

Goalies may be a crapshoot, but you're substantially more likely to have success with someone like Jarry or Varlamov in net than if you gamble on someone like Blackwood or Korpisalo.

I could see them moving on from Jarry if he disappoints in the playoffs.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

Isn’t he 2012 MAF right now, though? Solid in the regular season, complete joke come April? You move on from Jarry unless he had a great playoff.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Those silly"playoff" games are just the 99% most important games of the season. If a goalie sucks in the playoffs you get rid, end of. And Jarry is on thin ice as he has been a joke so far when the games matter the most.
You're a moron if you make him one of the highest paid in the league without playing as the best when it matters....

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
People judging the most up and down position by a handful of random sample games because their “playoffs” is certainly one of the silliest sports fan takes.

Depends. Judging a goalie on one singular series they struggled in is questionable. Judging a goalie on never being good for a series over multiple series is another thing. If Jarry is bad this year, he's more in the latter category than the former.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Those silly"playoff" games are just the 99% most important games of the season. If a goalie sucks in the playoffs you get rid, end of. And Jarry is on thin ice as he has been a joke so far when the games matter the most.
You're a moron if you make him one of the highest paid in the league without playing as the best when it matters....
Dumb.

Theyre more important sure.

But that doesnt mean anything for analysis. Goalie is the most volatile and random position. Making any sort of judgement on a player especially a goalie in that small of a sample is beyond absurd.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Depends. Judging a goalie on one singular series they struggled in is questionable. Judging a goalie on never being good for a series over multiple series is another thing. If Jarry is bad this year, he's more in the latter category than the former.
Hes played in 8 games across 3 different years.

You might as well throw darts to determine his contract offer. Its just as reliable and at least it would save you time and effort.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Jarry didn't have a few bad games. He melted down. If he does that again, I think it's fair to question whether he has the mental fortitude to succeed in the playoffs.

I agree with this and I've pointed out Jarry's bad playoff resume over his career, but I think it's more of an issue of who do you replace him with if you move on from him?

I think it's ultimately a situation where it's safer to gamble on Jarry figuring out his playoff demons than gambling on another UFA goalie being enough. I think Jarry when he's on is completely a good enough goalie to win a cup with.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I agree with this and I've pointed out Jarry's bad playoff resume over his career, but I think it's more of an issue of who do you replace him with if you move on from him?

I think it's ultimately a situation where it's safer to gamble on Jarry figuring out his playoff demons than gambling on another UFA goalie being enough. I think Jarry when he's on is completely a good enough goalie to win a cup with.
I think it depends on 2 things:

1. You're probably not going to find someone better in FA, but who would be available by trade?

2. How much cap would it take to get Jarry signed? Maybe it would make sense to sign a Varlomov for $4M instead of Jarry for $6M?

I don't know. I hope it doesn't come to that and Jarry just plays well. But it's worth questioning if he does have a repeat of a couple seasons ago.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Hes played in 8 games across 3 different years.

You might as well throw darts to determine his contract offer. Its just as reliable and at least it would save you time and effort.

Did you miss the part about *IF* he has another weak playoffs this year? That would be two full series, not just a random 8 games over 3 years.

IF.

Thus, why I've said it depends how he does this playoffs.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I could see them moving on from Jarry if he disappoints in the playoffs.
I think I'd see a sign and trade, honestly. Jarry's stretches of good play are pretty dang good. His bad play is really awful, but it's hard to say how much of that is directly him because, coincidentally, usually when he's bad, the blueline and team defense are also terrible.

I'm not saying that to excuse his bad play, more just pointing out that you'd probably be able to move him if you wanted even with a playoff meltdown. The trick would be getting a replacement.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
No. It’s not worth the futures because he would be a rental. He wants way too much money for the amount regression we’re about to see.

I’d sign Horvat for 8 mil x 6 tbh. He’s an all situations top six forward who can play wing and C and is a solid playoff guy. Helps with our C depth after next season. Big goal scorer.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think I'd see a sign and trade, honestly. Jarry's stretches of good play are pretty dang good. His bad play is really awful, but it's hard to say how much of that is directly him because, coincidentally, usually when he's bad, the blueline and team defense are also terrible.

I'm not saying that to excuse his bad play, more just pointing out that you'd probably be able to move him if you wanted even with a playoff meltdown. The trick would be getting a replacement.
Not really…he sometimes has these really stupid Fleuryesque goals where he does something stupid, gets out position or winces/flinches when a goal comes his way…you can easily see when he doesn’t track the puck or is out of position…also look to high danger chances saved…Jarry should be stopping a lot of (not all) point blank chances and when he’s doing that he’s playing well, and when he’s not check the HDSV and it will be in the .700 % lol…

I’d sign Horvat for 8 mil x 6 tbh. He’s an all situations top six forward who can play wing and C and is a solid playoff guy. Helps with our C depth after next season. Big goal scorer.
I don’t think we should be giving up a first round pick for him is the problem…we don’t really have anything else that would entice Vancouver unfortunately,,,but signing him as a UFA? Yes please

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
moving forward, the penguins are flush with cap space. What about trading for horvat and making Sid and Geno the 2/3 Cs?

i believe this is a flawless, genius plan. I’m also opened to reacquiring Staal and making him a first line winger.

edit: I see youre already discussing Horvat. I agree with pixies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
moving forward, the penguins are flush with cap space. What about trading for horvat and making Sid and Geno the 2/3 Cs?

i believe this is a flawless, genius plan. I’m also opened to reacquiring Staal and making him a first line winger.

edit: I see youre already discussing Horvat. I agree with pixies.

Horvat can play wing and has played that dual W/C role with Miller.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Horvat can play wing and has played that dual W/C role with Miller.
Yeah, but I truly think a top-6-caliber C is this team’s biggest need up front. Just because I don’t think Sid and Geno can do it on a nightly basis. They’re managing Geno‘s minutes pretty well. I’d like to see Sid play a little less, too.

(biggest need is probably another defender, especially after Dumo moves on)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad