Salary Cap: Pens Salary Cap Thread: If we score 6 we win, its science!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I wouldn’t be interested in making notable roster changes during the season, at least not right now. I think the only addition I’d be looking at making is adding another good bottom-6 forward, mostly because Heinen and Kapanen have been very inconsistent this year. Kapanen is playing great right now, but it’s impossible to say how long that will continue.

I wouldn’t mind sending Heinen out and bringing in another McGinn type of bottom-6 forward. I don’t really see a spot for Heinen anywhere if he’s not on the 3rd line and 2nd PP unit, and he shouldn’t be in that spot right now. I think my goal lineup right now would be a trade with Carter and Kapanen on L3 and McGinn-Blueger-Archibald as L4. If Kapanen starts to struggle again, you can scratch him, bump McGinn up to L3 and add Poehling back to the forward group.

Reactions: Headshot77

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Eh... it's no big deal. When you get called on said mistakes just throw a man-tantrum (mantrum?) and run away in the middle of the season citing "personal reasons."

I mean why would anyone doubt Jim Rutherford's organizational management ship skills.

He's only had...

A father fire his son who then sued him.
A coach sexually assault his assistant's wife.
A assistant coach claim she was fired due to being a woman and disabled.

In three consecutive management jobs. Seems like he knows a lot about hockey culture.

HHOF worthy.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I wouldn’t be interested in making notable roster changes during the season, at least not right now. I think the only addition I’d be looking at making is adding another good bottom-6 forward, mostly because Heinen and Kapanen have been very inconsistent this year. Kapanen is playing great right now, but it’s impossible to say how long that will continue.

I wouldn’t mind sending Heinen out and bringing in another McGinn type of bottom-6 forward for the 4th line. I don’t really see a spot for Heinen anywhere if he’s not on the 3rd line and 2nd PP unit, and he shouldn’t be in that spot right now. I think my goal lineup right now would be a trade with Carter and Kapanen on L3 and McGinn-Blueger-Archibald as L4. If Kapanen starts to struggle again, you can scratch him, bump McGinn up to L3 and add Poehling back to the forward group.

I think they need to add a heavier LW that can play center and actually score to the bottom six. Barbashev is the perfect addition to this team.

we don't have a replacement ready to step in. so i don't see it happening for a while.

I don't see us double downing on him. If he keeps his numbers up this season he's going to command a ton and I don't see Hextall spending that much on goaltending.

He has played hard ball with every position on the roster despite what people want to say about Carter and Kapanen. And the majority of his moves have been focused on setting up a cap structure positionally.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think they need to add a heavier LW that can play center and actually score to the bottom six. Barbashev is the perfect addition to this team.

Sounds like Oskar Sundqvist

Pending UFA, 6'3" and 210 lbs, plays all forward positions and has been roughly a 15 goal and 33 point player per 82 games since the start of the 2018-2019 season.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
No. It’s not worth the futures because he would be a rental. He wants way too much money for the amount regression we’re about to see.

The rumors are he rejected an offer more or less of 8 million per year. As much as he would help, we cannot afford that considering Jarry will get a nice raise..

He is also having a career year, not sure in the long run that`s a contract we will be very happy with!!

Yup.. as a rental. Basically you pay for an elite 3C and to get rid of Carter’s extra year.

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
No. Barbashev.

Barbashev is 6'0" and 187 lbs. I also think last year isn't reflective of how good he is at all and the price will be way higher because of it.

I'd much rather do like Heinen and a 3rd for Sundqvist at 50% than trade for Barbashev because I don't think Barbashev will be cheap.

Yup.. as a rental. Basically you pay for an elite 3C and to get rid of Carter’s extra year.

Honestly, I don't see this as a major pressing need with how they're currently using Carter.

He's been pretty solid this year. He's not suited for the role the Penguins are playing him in, but he's not doing badly at all this year in that role. 14 points in 26 games with being a positive player, winning about 59% of faceoffs and eating absolute crap defensive minutes doesn't seem like an issue for $3 million.

Sullivan is doing really well with limiting Carter's minutes this year, which I think is benefitting his play. He's down from 17:40 a night last year to 14:36 a night this year.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Been saying it for a while now, playoffs or no playoffs come February, Hextall needs to move him for assets. He could bring back something better than what the Habs got for Chiarot last year..
I mean, I wish…I’m not sure other GMs can’t see that he can’t move anymore lol…

also, I still think the FO/coaches value Dumo, especially on the PK and in the room, and I don’t think they’re going to move..in fact, I think it’s more than likely they re-sign him lol

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Honestly, I don't see this as a major pressing need with how they're currently using Carter.

He's been pretty solid this year. He's not suited for the role the Penguins are playing him in, but he's not doing badly at all this year in that role. 14 points in 26 games with being a positive player, winning about 59% of faceoffs and eating absolute crap defensive minutes doesn't seem like an issue for $3 million.
I don’t think Carter is a pressing problem at all, but I do think that I’d rather have the 3M than not next summer and that Horvat is preferable in a series.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don’t think Carter is a pressing problem at all, but I do think that I’d rather have the 3M than not next summer and that Horvat is preferable in a series.

That's valid, but I think that money will just disappear when you need to sign someone to replace Carter.

Granted you could run with Blueger as your 3C and Poehling/Poulin as your 4C, but I think Poehling is probably more suited as a winger who is an injury sub as a center instead of a pure center.

Rave7215

Mar 12, 2010
If Letang and Petry are both out at the same time (heaven forbid) and this team still doesn't see what it has in Smith as the PPQB, I don't know what to say.
Sullivan would give POJ the shot at running it first. And frankly, he's earned it based on his play on the PP so far.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA

also, I still think the FO/coaches value Dumo, especially on the PK and in the room, and I don’t think they’re going to move..in fact, I think it’s more than likely they re-sign him lol

Not sure why you wouldn’t value Dumoulin. He is not what he was but he is still effective player and as you alluded to he wears an A.

I hope we don’t resign him.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

What a disaster that would be!!!!

Reactions: Andy99

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Looks like the cap will only go up by a million next year which is absolutely awesome for us.

We should be able to rob a team like Florida, San Jose, etc. blind if we want to.
Said as if we won't be in cap hell too

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Said as if we won't be in cap hell too

Nah the Penguins are in a comfortable spot with the cap for next year. If they keep Blueger ($3 million) and Jarry ($6 million) and let Zucker and Dumoulin go, they'll have about $11 million in cap space with 9 F, 6 D and 2 G under contract.

With re-signing Smith ($1 million), Poehling ($1 million) and O'Connor ($900k), they'll be sitting with this forward group with $8 million in cap space:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
XXXXX-Malkin-Rust
McGinn-Carter-Kapanen
Poehling-Blueger-XXXXXX
O'Connor-XXXXX

POJ-Letang
Pettersson-Petry
Smith-Rutta
Ruhwedel

Jarry-DeSmith

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Nah the Penguins are in a comfortable spot with the cap for next year. If they keep Blueger ($3 million) and Jarry ($6 million) and let Zucker and Dumoulin go, they'll have about $11 million in cap space with 9 F, 7 D and 2 G under contract.

They'll be sitting with this forward group with $11 million in cap space:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
XXXXX-Malkin-Rust
McGinn-Carter-Kapanen
XXXXX-Blueger-XXXXXX
XXXXX-XXXXX

POJ-Letang
Pettersson-Petry
Smith-Rutta
Ruhwedel

Jarry-DeSmith

If we keep Blueger with cap that right we are moronic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad