Salary Cap: Pens Salary Cap Thread: If we score 6 we win, its science!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
All you really need in a goalie is for a guy to not lose you the game, imo.

Assuming his health holds up, Jarry is a servicable goalie, and something around $4.5-6 million is market value for a starter anymore. He's not gonna steal you a series or anything, but if you need a goalie capable of that, you got some more roster construction to work on imo. Health is a pretty significant issue though, and should weigh heavily on what kinda AAV and term he eventually gets. Dude seems like he's always banged up.

Reactions: Pancakes

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think the bigger issue than goaltending is that this team manages to forget how to play any sort of defense for large stretches of time regardless of who is in net.
My biggest complaint about some of our playoff play the past few years is how we'll get a lead and then completely shell up and try to turtle only to blow the lead anyways. Did that against the Rangers at least once or twice last year.

I know it's human nature with a lead and blah blah blah but this team is so much better when it attacks rather than sitting on its heels. When we play passive we stink.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
My biggest complaint about some of our playoff play the past few years is how we'll get a lead and then completely shell up and try to turtle only to blow the lead anyways. Did that against the Rangers at least once or twice last year.

I know it's human nature with a lead and blah blah blah but this team is so much better when it attacks rather than sitting on its heels. When we play passive we stink.
Yeah, and it's one of the reasons I've been cautioning against people baying for a new goalie or two. Unless you're getting Hašek in his prime or a similar generational-best 'tender, you're not going to win anything when the team turtles, plays soft defense, lets up on the opposition, and gives teams time and space to get back into the game.

The newly-revamped blueline is a minor step in the right direction, but the real problems are systematic, leadership-focused, and roster-related. Putting any other goalie in there is going to largely net the same result.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Yes, I have interest in Horvat. No, I do not think the Pens have the assets to acquire him.

Yes, I'd re-sign Jarry. Perhaps going up to as much as $6.5M per. I don't see any good alternatives. Not that I've looked too hard.

I'd still like to upgrade on LD this season (bye Dumo). But if not during this season I'd absolutely want to target Gavrikov, Graves, Soucy, or to lesser extents Mikkola or Kulikov in the offseason.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Yes, I have interest in Horvat. No, I do not think the Pens have the assets to acquire him.

Yes, I'd re-sign Jarry. Perhaps going up to as much as $6.5M per. I don't see any good alternatives. Not that I've looked too hard.

I'd still like to upgrade on LD this season (bye Dumo). But if not during this season I'd absolutely want to target Gavrikov, Graves, Soucy, or to lesser extents Mikkola or Kulikov in the offseason.

Dumo should walk. His cap will go towards his replacement. They need a reliable 3/4 Dman from Free Agency
I'd be absolutely fine resigning Zucker
Jarry will probably get 5.75 to 7M from the Pens

Who else on the Pens is a FA this offseason?

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Dumo should walk. His cap will go towards his replacement. They need a reliable 3/4 Dman from Free Agency
I'd be absolutely fine resigning Zucker
Jarry will probably get 5.75 to 7M from the Pens

Who else on the Pens is a FA this offseason?

Zucker, Blueger, Heinen, Archibald, Poehling (RFA), Dumoulin, Jarry, Caggiula, Tokarski

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The point was that while Jarry was awful that year, that team was was also shit in the playoffs up front.

And waste the Malkin and Crosby era? Sullivan has done that masterfully the last 5 seasons. Murray was average enough to beat the Habs but the forwards weren’t. Must’ve been Jarry’s fault too.

2018 ZAR’s face met Wilson
2019 they were swept by the isles - Murray was in net
2020 they were ousted by the Habs in the play in for the playoffs, technically didn’t even make the traditional playoffs
2021 they lost 4-2 in the playoffs
2022 they lost 4-3 to the rangers

Goalies aren’t the issue. Blame Jarry all you want. The real person wasting the rest of the Sid and Geno era is the head coach.
You're arguing against points that I've never made. I've been very critical of Sullivan since the first Isles series and I've never said Jarry was the only problem on the team in 2021, just the biggest.

I have no interest in rehashing those discussions. The topic of conversation was what to do with Jarry going forward. In my opinion, I'd wait to see how he does in the playoffs this year, but am anticipating him playing reasonably well enough that he'll be their best option.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Put together this roster lol for next season. Not sure I like it. Assuming the cap goes up by 4 mil like it is rumored to be. Gives us a 1.3 mil in cap.

Guentzel - Crosby - Rakell
Couture - Malkin - Rust
McGinn - Carter - Kapanen
Poulin - Poehling (2x 1.mil) - Hallander (2 x 850k)

Orlov (6.5x6) - Letang
Pettersson - Petry
POJ - Rutta
Ruhwedel

Varlamov (4.5 x 2)
DeSmith

Trade Legare + Jersey's 3 for Couts.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Smith is ticketed with Rutta since the cap shouldn't be the issue next year. POJ improving gives the Pens a possible second pairing LD. I still prefer a more physical LD next year. Dumo will be gone. Jarry looks to be the Pens guy and now you have the D and goal tending situation done. LW2 and then Kap and Carter are on the clock. DOC, maybe Poulin, Hallander and pusitern can fill out the bottom with resigning Teddy B and Poehling.
I think Kap RH shot just be the choice for the 3rd line RW and Carter is a cap hit no matter if he is here or retired. so either way he is on the payroll. The question is who is the LW on Malkins line next year. Zucker is a possibility if he is willing to take a number that reflects his present play. 3 year 3 million AAV is about what I offer if he proves he can stay healthy.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
As I see it, the roster will be pretty settled except for some pretty minor spots.

Jake-Sid-Rakell
1?-Geno-Rust
McGinn-Carter-Kap
Poehling-Blueger-2?

Petts-Letang
POJ-Petry
Smith/3?-Rutta

Jarry (It's a given, imo)
CDS

For the 1st question mark, I think Zucker's got the inside track barring injury. He's beloved by the coach and in the lockerroom, and unless he completely tanks the rest of the season or suffers another serious injury, I think he'll be kept around at something around $4.5 million AAV.

For the 2nd question mark, I think Hallander probably fits the role best of all the prospects, but I expect the FO to go out and grab another veteran plug. Hell, Archibald might be kept around if he keeps up his solid play.

For the 3rd question mark, I think they're probably monitoring Smith's play and development in WBS, so it'll be between him or keeping Dumo around in a lesser role making a decent chunk cheaper. I prefer the former, for sure, but never discount the slavering idolization of veterans.

Jarry's a given to be re-signed, imo. It's just a matter of how high the cap hit is gonna be and how long the deal will be for. I'll throw out a dipshit guess and say $6.25 million AAV for five years.

In short, I don't expect a whole lot to change. The FO isn't gonna stick its neck out and test the goalie market unless Jarry completely crumbles in the playoffs like he did against the Isles a couple years ago. I think Zucker's probably a safe bet to stick around. The only spot I really see as being open is 3LD, and that's probably an in-house thing between Smith or Dumo being brought back on the cheap.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
As I see it, the roster will be pretty settled except for some pretty minor spots.

Jake-Sid-Rakell
1?-Geno-Rust
McGinn-Carter-Kap
Poehling-Blueger-2?

Petts-Letang
POJ-Petry
Smith/3?-Rutta

Jarry (It's a given, imo)
CDS

For the 1st question mark, I think Zucker's got the inside track barring injury. He's beloved by the coach and in the lockerroom, and unless he completely tanks the rest of the season or suffers another serious injury, I think he'll be kept around at something around $4.5 million AAV.

For the 2nd question mark, I think Hallander probably fits the role best of all the prospects, but I expect the FO to go out and grab another veteran plug. Hell, Archibald might be kept around if he keeps up his solid play.

For the 3rd question mark, I think they're probably monitoring Smith's play and development in WBS, so it'll be between him or keeping Dumo around in a lesser role making a decent chunk cheaper. I prefer the former, for sure, but never discount the slavering idolization of veterans.

Jarry's a given to be re-signed, imo. It's just a matter of how high the cap hit is gonna be and how long the deal will be for. I'll throw out a dipshit guess and say $6.25 million AAV for five years.

In short, I don't expect a whole lot to change. The FO isn't gonna stick its neck out and test the goalie market unless Jarry completely crumbles in the playoffs like he did against the Isles a couple years ago. I think Zucker's probably a safe bet to stick around. The only spot I really see as being open is 3LD, and that's probably an in-house thing between Smith or Dumo being brought back on the cheap.

I don't see us resigning Blueger unless he takes a huge discount which would be odd.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I don't see us resigning Blueger unless he takes a huge discount which would be odd.
You take that back!

He’ll probably want to be paid like a 3C and probably deserves a chance at being one. As long as you can live with his limited production I think he would be fine as a 3C on a good team.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Notable UFA wingers come July 1st:

Pastnak, Kuzmenko, P.Kane, Killorn, Zucker, Bertuzzi, Tarasenko, Bunting, Moore, Domi, Wood, Barbashev

Made it clear that I'd like Garland through trade, but if not then Trevor Moore is a sneaky good option.
Impressive 5v5 production and analytics for someone used in a pretty defensive role. Prime age. Good size. Contract won't break the bank probably, since guys out west fly under the radar.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Notable UFA wingers come July 1st:

Pastnak, Kuzmenko, P.Kane, Killorn, Zucker, Bertuzzi, Tarasenko, Bunting, Moore, Domi, Wood, Barbashev

Made it clear that I'd like Garland through trade, but if not then Trevor Moore is a sneaky good option.
Impressive 5v5 production and analytics for someone used in a pretty defensive role. Prime age. Good size. Contract won't break the bank probably, since guys out west fly under the radar.

Trevor Moore is already in contract talks with the Kings and they expect to resign him.

I imagine the only players on that list that hit UFA are Killorn, Zucker, Tarasenko, Domi, Barbashev and potentially Wood. Kane is probably going back to Buffalo if CHI moves him or staying in CHI.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Put together this roster lol for next season. Not sure I like it. Assuming the cap goes up by 4 mil like it is rumored to be. Gives us a 1.3 mil in cap.

Guentzel - Crosby - Rakell
Couture - Malkin - Rust
McGinn - Carter - Kapanen
Poulin - Poehling (2x 1.mil) - Hallander (2 x 850k)

Orlov (6.5x6) - Letang
Pettersson - Petry
POJ - Rutta
Ruhwedel

Varlamov (4.5 x 2)
DeSmith

Trade Legare + Jersey's 3 for Couts.

I'd rather save some of the Couture money for Jake's extension. Give a decent contract to Jarry. And I'm not sure about giving a 32 year old Orlov a 6 year contract.

And zero chance SJ trades Couture for Legare and a 3rd. When was the last time a player of his quality was traded for scraps?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I'd rather save some of the Couture money for Jake's extension. Give a decent contract to Jarry. And I'm not sure about giving a 32 year old Orlov a 6 year contract.

And zero chance SJ trades Couture for Legare and a 3rd. When was the last time a player of his quality was traded for scraps?

Patches was just literally traded for nothing.

My assumption with Couture is San Jose dumps him to resign Meier. Sharks fans seem to think that is unlikely but they also think they are going to get the world back if they move Meier or he's going to take a discount which both seem odd.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
All you really need in a goalie is for a guy to not lose you the game, imo.

Assuming his health holds up, Jarry is a servicable goalie, and something around $4.5-6 million is market value for a starter anymore. He's not gonna steal you a series or anything, but if you need a goalie capable of that, you got some more roster construction to work on imo. Health is a pretty significant issue though, and should weigh heavily on what kinda AAV and term he eventually gets. Dude seems like he's always banged up.
Agree for the regular season but not the playoffs. You absolutely need a goalie to steal or win you a game here and there. Every cup team in recent memory has had a goalie snake a win for them when the team in front of them was crap. MAF and Murray did that for us in all three cup wins. Sometimes "just not losing you the game" won't cut it.

Why would you say something so controversial and yet, so brave?

Patches was just literally traded for nothing.

My assumption with Couture is San Jose dumps him to resign Meier. Sharks fans seem to think that is unlikely but they also think they are going to get the world back if they move Meier or he's going to take a discount which both seem odd.
Dump their captain with 4 years left on his deal for so little? I dunno man, that may be a stretch. I think they dump Karlsson or Vlasic in that fashion before Couture.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Agree for the regular season but not the playoffs. You absolutely need a goalie to steal or win you a game here and there. Every cup team in recent memory has had a goalie snake a win for them when the team in front of them was crap. MAF and Murray did that for us in all three cup wins. Sometimes "just not losing you the game" won't cut it.

Why would you say something so controversial and yet, so brave?

Dump their captain with 4 years left on his deal for so little? I dunno man, that may be a stretch. I think they dump Karlsson or Vlasic in that fashion before Couture.

Who is taking Vlasic. And retaining on Karlsson is outrageous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad